The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 12, 2021, 10:15:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 12, 2021, 10:15:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Broomclosets and coming and being  (Read 8017 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: June 18, 2007, 08:38:11 am »

No way will I explain why I asked for candles for Christmas! LOL

That doesn't seem like something that should be difficult to explain.  Lots of people like candles for reasons having nothing to do with witchcraft.  Wink  Pretty sure I was asking for candles for Christmas years before I ever thought of being Pagan, myself.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #16: June 18, 2007, 11:32:50 am »

That doesn't seem like something that should be difficult to explain.  Lots of people like candles for reasons having nothing to do with witchcraft.  Wink  Pretty sure I was asking for candles for Christmas years before I ever thought of being Pagan, myself.

lol so true - it's just assumed round here that if all else fails in the gift department... buy candle-girl some smelly candles. That's what I get for living in a house full of men.... Not that I'm complaining Wink

Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: June 18, 2007, 02:24:14 pm »

Heh.  I almost feel deprived now--I've never had one either, nor do I see one in the foreseeable future. 

My friends don't care if I'm polytheistic, and I've mentioned it in passing to only a few (when in conversation about things like that), but really they probably don't even remember it.

My family, however, would definitely care if I told them I'm polytheistic, and I know they would never forget it if I mentioned it in passing.  Hence, I have never, nor do I see any reason to, "come out" to them.

Still, I'm curious... how do people usually approach it?  Do they really sit them down?  Or do they just say, "I've got something to tell you" while standing at the crosswalk? 

My family knows and are fully supportive.
Like you, I'm a don't ask, don't tell kind of person. I don't really like to share personal information with aquaintances... but I don't like to lie either. If you asked me I would tell you.  I have never offered up my spiritual beliefs to anyone who I didn't know really well except for online here at TC and I don't believe I've ever been asked -outside of the highschool 'everyone needs to know your business' sort of thing. Religion is a very personal thing and I don't feel that I need to share or debate it with anyone.

I don't take down my shrine or my cross when company or my kids friends come over. So I don't know if my attitude makes me "in the closet" or just private.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: June 18, 2007, 07:04:40 pm »

As for friends, my closest friends know I'm not Christian.  But that's it.  If they asked, I'd answer any questions honestly.  But I don't think I'd just up and say, oh, by the way, I'm pagan.

That quote is from my earlier post in this thread.

Interestingly, I had the perfect opportunity to "come out" to my oldest friend just the other day.  We've known each other for 30 years, and we're very close. 

But I didn't.

He asked my about my tattoo -- the one that is for Brighid.  And, although it was the perfect opening to tell him, I totally dodged the question.  I told him it was a spiritual thing.  He asked a follow-up question, and I basically changed the subject.

I don't really know why.  I think he'd take it fine.  Maybe it was that we were standing in a crowded hallway waiting to enter a theater.  But I *could* have told him anyway.  I just didn't.

I guess I'm still not ready...

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Sparrow
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2014, 09:01:14 am
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: June 19, 2007, 09:57:13 pm »

That quote is from my earlier post in this thread.

Interestingly, I had the perfect opportunity to "come out" to my oldest friend just the other day.  We've known each other for 30 years, and we're very close. 

But I didn't.

yes. Every situation is different. I thought about this question some more after I had posted my first response. I wondered how I would react if someone on my Dad's side was to enquire about my faith. Knowing how they feel about such things I think I would try and avoid telling them. If it were someone who I had to have an ongoing relationship with and I knew that "outing" myself was going to cause tension, I would probably keep hush about it or be ambiguous with my replies. Though I still think that If I were cornered and asked straight forward if I were pagan, I wouldn't lie...I don't think.   Cheesy

nice sig by the way!
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: June 20, 2007, 12:48:01 am »

nice sig by the way!

Thanks!  Beachglass made it for me. Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)