The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 13, 2021, 06:52:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 13, 2021, 06:52:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar 3D  (Read 14660 times)
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #15: January 01, 2010, 05:56:37 am »

Do you have permission to repost this from your teacher's blog?

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lleu
Last Login:January 18, 2010, 05:50:19 pm
Ukraine Ukraine

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 01, 2010, 03:48:53 pm »

Yes, she knows about that. I've aked her if I could repost her texts and she agreed.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #17: January 01, 2010, 08:44:22 pm »

Yes, she knows about that. I've aked her if I could repost her texts and she agreed.
Hi, Lleu - don't forget to quote when replying to posts.  Your first one I'd have let pass as "reply to the thread as a whole", but in the case of the one I've quoted, it was a direct reply to Everfool's question, and definitely should have quoted.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Lleu
Last Login:January 18, 2010, 05:50:19 pm
Ukraine Ukraine

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 02, 2010, 03:15:24 pm »

don't forget to quote when replying to posts. 

Sorry, this won't happen again Smiley
Ryan
Apprentice
Last Login:January 17, 2010, 12:45:02 am
United States United States

Religion: Hodgepodge Earth-Based

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 02, 2010, 10:00:16 pm »

This was a great movie. Maybe the best I've ever seen. Despite having a 3 hour run-time, Avatar was full of lessons and views of the world that many of you would love.  It reminded the viewer of his or her own disconnection with the natural world, and really got ME thinking of ways to reconnect. If you have a free Saturday night, Avatar is definitely worth seeing. Also, hot blue chicks.

Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. - Dalai Lama
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: January 02, 2010, 10:12:12 pm »

This was a great movie. Maybe the best I've ever seen. Despite having a 3 hour run-time, Avatar was full of lessons and views of the world that many of you would love.  It reminded the viewer of his or her own disconnection with the natural world, and really got ME thinking of ways to reconnect. If you have a free Saturday night, Avatar is definitely worth seeing. Also, hot blue chicks.

Just merged this topic into the already existing thread on this movie.  Since this is the second time I had to do this, I'm guessing that the movie is just that good Cheesy

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ryan
Apprentice
Last Login:January 17, 2010, 12:45:02 am

Religion: Hodgepodge Earth-Based

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 02, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »

Hah, I'll check next time. It was good, though.

Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive. - Dalai Lama
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: January 03, 2010, 02:53:39 pm »

Hah, I'll check next time. It was good, though.
Hi, Ryan - please don't forget to quote.

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 05, 2010, 06:53:33 am »

I have to disagree with that, unfortunately.  Of course I agree with the environmental message, but I don't think it's all that...inspirational, to tell you the truth.  It may just be the innumerable "environment good, people bad" movies made, or the years of having environmental consciousness hammered into my head at school, but I honestly couldn't really care less about the environmental message.  It's a bit...been there, done that.  Yes, we've messed up on Earth.  Yes, we've been unattuned.  Yes, we should be doing a lot better.  But, seriously, we know.  Boy, do we know.  I can switch on the news and be told.  I can look outside at the concrete and know that there used to be soil there.  We don't need to keep being told, like children who don't get the message.

Sorry about the rant, but it just irked me that Avatar couldn't find an original way to present the problem.

The villains, I thought, weren't human enough.  They simply didn't have the depth of character to make me think that maybe they had a point.  As a result, I ceased to care about them so much.  They weren't people, they were just strawmen.  And while I'll admit that they did get me a little angry while I was watching, afterwards I felt a bit let down.

The special effects were magical on the big screen, though.  I did see it in 3-D, and I really did think that the subtle depth enhanced the film.  It gave more of an awe-inspiring perspective, a better idea on just how big one world can be.
I do have one complaint, though - the textures.  Everything was smooth.  None of the plants were rough, and neither were the animals.  Even the furry animals had sleek fur.  I'd have liked to have seen a greater variety of textures in it.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: January 05, 2010, 11:13:56 am »

The villains, I thought, weren't human enough.  They simply didn't have the depth of character to make me think that maybe they had a point.  As a result, I ceased to care about them so much.  They weren't people, they were just strawmen.  And while I'll admit that they did get me a little angry while I was watching, afterwards I felt a bit let down.

I actually liked the villain general.  But then, I disliked the Noble Savage stereotyped aliens.  The message was anvilicious - but despite it being obvious what I was meant to think, I had absolutely no sympathy for the natives, or really for the main character.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
KitsuneinDreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 10, 2010, 08:30:19 am

Religion: Devotee of Minerva

Nunc ades o coeptis, flava Minerva, meiss

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 05, 2010, 06:02:28 pm »

I do have one complaint, though - the textures.  Everything was smooth.  None of the plants were rough, and neither were the animals.  Even the furry animals had sleek fur.  I'd have liked to have seen a greater variety of textures in it.

Actually, most the animals were hairless Smiley
Or at least the horse, the banshee, Toruk, etc.

I didn't look that much into detail concerning the plants, it looked like a realistic background so it didn't detract me much (well realistic as you can get for fantasy/sci-fi on another planet).
I too though Colonel Quaritch was hard to connect to, he did not seem human enough to me. The head guy running the operation (grrr, what was his name), the guy in the suit, did seem more human. You could see on his face he felt bad about SPOLER--burning hometree down--SPOILER but ultimately his greed got to him.

I think the message was more imperialism is bad, rather than focusing solely on 'save nature'.

EverFool, why didn't you like the Na'vi or the main character out of curiousity. Just they are stereotypical? Or did you just disagree with their views/development of sorts?

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #26: January 05, 2010, 07:37:17 pm »

EverFool, why didn't you like the Na'vi or the main character out of curiousity. Just they are stereotypical? Or did you just disagree with their views/development of sorts?

This following link is the TV Tropes page for the Avatar film.  It will provide more info on some of the tropes I reference.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Avatar

The Navi: They are basically Noble Savage stereotypes, and also 'Can't Argue with Elves' (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitleukqnnj0yvqci?from=Main.CantArgueWithElves)

Humans are bad and mean and nasty.  Navi are so spiritual and aware, and they cry over killing things that are trying to kill them (unless it's mean nasty humans) etc.  There is no particular depth to their characters - they're pretty much defined by being better than humans.

With Jake Sully...  Well, the General had a point.  He fell for some alien girl, and suddenly he was happy to gun down hordes of his own people.  As some have pointed out, he had plenty of time with the Navi to find a different solution that didn't involve picking a side and gunning down lots of people.  Plus, I couldn't really take him seriously when he does his big speech about how 'they' can't take 'our' planet.

I think that the film might have had more emotional impact if they'd gone for the downer ending I thought was going to occur.  But no.  Their Super Special Connection with Nature saves them.

Further, I found nothing special in its 'spiritual message.'   Yes, I think we should try to reduce our impact on the environment, and reverse damage where possible.  However, nature has no spiritual relevance to me.  I mean, it seemed to me like a terribly trite middle class approach to a noble savage religion - not the kind of religion I'd expect to see arising in an environment where everything tries to kill you.

Still, the pointless spinning lizards were cute.

KitsuneinDreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 10, 2010, 08:30:19 am

Religion: Devotee of Minerva

Nunc ades o coeptis, flava Minerva, meiss

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 05, 2010, 09:20:09 pm »

This following link is the TV Tropes page for the Avatar film.  It will provide more info on some of the tropes I reference.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/Avatar

The Navi: They are basically Noble Savage stereotypes, and also 'Can't Argue with Elves' (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitleukqnnj0yvqci?from=Main.CantArgueWithElves)

Humans are bad and mean and nasty.  Navi are so spiritual and aware, and they cry over killing things that are trying to kill them (unless it's mean nasty humans) etc.  There is no particular depth to their characters - they're pretty much defined by being better than humans.

With Jake Sully...  Well, the General had a point.  He fell for some alien girl, and suddenly he was happy to gun down hordes of his own people.  As some have pointed out, he had plenty of time with the Navi to find a different solution that didn't involve picking a side and gunning down lots of people.  Plus, I couldn't really take him seriously when he does his big speech about how 'they' can't take 'our' planet.

I think that the film might have had more emotional impact if they'd gone for the downer ending I thought was going to occur.  But no.  Their Super Special Connection with Nature saves them.

Further, I found nothing special in its 'spiritual message.'   Yes, I think we should try to reduce our impact on the environment, and reverse damage where possible.  However, nature has no spiritual relevance to me.  I mean, it seemed to me like a terribly trite middle class approach to a noble savage religion - not the kind of religion I'd expect to see arising in an environment where everything tries to kill you.

Still, the pointless spinning lizards were cute.

Hehe, well thanks I will check out those sites. Interesting points you make, some pretty valid.

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 05, 2010, 10:03:08 pm »

Yeah, Alan Dean Foster did aliens-in-tune-with-their-bitey-forest-world better forty years ago, with Midworld. And LeGuin explored conflicting spiritual/ethical issues far better, with The Word for World is Forest.

But dayum, Avatar is pretty.
Chabas
Reserve Staff
Staff
Master Member
Last Login:August 15, 2014, 02:06:27 pm
Netherlands Netherlands

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (1)

« Reply #29: January 06, 2010, 02:54:02 am »

Also, there's the whole "not only is he a better man, he's a better Na'vi than the actual Na'vi", and that referring to a man who seems to be too lazy to use the language of the people he is speaking to. Does language proficiency play in that? To some extent, yes. But that fails when you realize he's had three months where he could have practiced it with the various people he was interacting with, and CHOSE to speak English with them instead.

Also, apparently the Na'vi need saving by white man, because they're unable to come up with "this is too big for us, we need to ask the other tribes for help" themselves.

The list goes on. And on. And on. I totally think the movie was pretty and everything, but the story was too issue-ridden for words.

--Chabas

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)