The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 01, 2021, 10:54:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2021, 10:54:17 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar 3D  (Read 15122 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: January 06, 2010, 10:24:00 am »

Yeah, Alan Dean Foster did aliens-in-tune-with-their-bitey-forest-world better forty years ago, with Midworld. And LeGuin explored conflicting spiritual/ethical issues far better, with The Word for World is Forest.

So did Disney, at least according to the Huffington Post's "Avatar = Pocahontas in Space":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/04/avatar-pocahontas-in-spac_n_410538.html

Check it out. It's priceless.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: January 06, 2010, 11:07:52 am »

Yeah, Alan Dean Foster did aliens-in-tune-with-their-bitey-forest-world better forty years ago, with Midworld. And LeGuin explored conflicting spiritual/ethical issues far better, with The Word for World is Forest.

But dayum, Avatar is pretty.

I noticed similarities to both those books.  but, yes, it is pretty.  I prefer the ending in Midworld - more violent and everything about the religion is more implied and less obvious.

AntlerandHerb.com
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: January 06, 2010, 11:33:42 am »

I noticed similarities to both those books.  but, yes, it is pretty.  I prefer the ending in Midworld - more violent and everything about the religion is more implied and less obvious.

One thing I have noticed about American film, as opposed to Canadian or other foreign film, is the tendecny toward the obvious.

It is almost as if the filmakers are afraid someone might miss the point, or the punchline, or something. Subtle is not a virtue.

Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: January 06, 2010, 05:45:05 pm »

One thing I have noticed about American film, as opposed to Canadian or other foreign film, is the tendecny toward the obvious.

It is almost as if the filmakers are afraid someone might miss the point, or the punchline, or something. Subtle is not a virtue.

I think its more a big-studio blockbuster mentality, than any particular nationality. I've seen many subtle indy films over the years.
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: January 06, 2010, 05:49:22 pm »

So did Disney, at least according to the Huffington Post's "Avatar = Pocahontas in Space":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/04/avatar-pocahontas-in-spac_n_410538.html

Check it out. It's priceless.

Heh. Thanks for the link; I can't say it doesn't parallel the mental checklist I found myself going through as I watched Avatar. (Though if I'm looking for animated enviro-messaging, I'll go with Miyasaki - especially earlier works - everytime. I keep hoping more of that sensibility will rub off on Disney.)
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #35: January 07, 2010, 05:09:47 pm »

Actually, most the animals were hairless Smiley
Or at least the horse, the banshee, Toruk, etc.

That's precisely it - they're all smooth and hairless.  There's not that much variation in the texture.

I didn't look that much into detail concerning the plants, it looked like a realistic background so it didn't detract me much (well realistic as you can get for fantasy/sci-fi on another planet).
I too though Colonel Quaritch was hard to connect to, he did not seem human enough to me. The head guy running the operation (grrr, what was his name), the guy in the suit, did seem more human. You could see on his face he felt bad about SPOLER--burning hometree down--SPOILER but ultimately his greed got to him.

Actually, on second watching, the textures weren't as unvaried as I originally thought.  The vibrant matte colouring in the plants gives them the impression of no texture, and a lot of them were very smooth, but I had exaggerated when I complained about the rocks.  It was just the plants and animals.

I think the message was more imperialism is bad, rather than focusing solely on 'save nature'.

I'd be more inclined to split the difference on that one: Imperialism is bad because it doesn't save nature, and it doesn't care about the natives.  It's more using Imperialism as the strawman on the other side of the debate than actually presenting two separate morals.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
KitsuneinDreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 10, 2010, 08:30:19 am

Religion: Devotee of Minerva

Nunc ades o coeptis, flava Minerva, meiss

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: January 07, 2010, 06:38:48 pm »

That's precisely it - they're all smooth and hairless.  There's not that much variation in the texture.

Actually, on second watching, the textures weren't as unvaried as I originally thought.  The vibrant matte colouring in the plants gives them the impression of no texture, and a lot of them were very smooth, but I had exaggerated when I complained about the rocks.  It was just the plants and animals.

I'd be more inclined to split the difference on that one: Imperialism is bad because it doesn't save nature, and it doesn't care about the natives.  It's more using Imperialism as the strawman on the other side of the debate than actually presenting two separate morals.

Well in a slight defense. It is an alien planet, just because we have a variety of different textures here on Earth, doesn't mean they will as well. In the book I have, it talks greatly about things evolving from water-based animals rather recently (recently in an evolutionary standpoint). Hence the 'fin-like' protrusions on the banshees and toruk.

But keep in mind, dang near all those plants were CGI created, and although yes they look beautiful and stunning, there is still a long ways to go until they look completely believable.
That is why i said earlier "photo-realistic" and not "photo-real".

Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: January 07, 2010, 11:40:19 pm »

I just saw the midnight release of this film and it is absolutely beautiful.

Just saw it today, and it was visually stunning and, at least for me, imagination-tickling. Old story, old premise, old message, but it was pretty and I enjoyed it.

Now, I just read that James Cameron is apparently planning a trilogy, or that a trilogy had been the original plan all along. Not sure how that's going to work out...

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge
KitsuneinDreams
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 10, 2010, 08:30:19 am

Religion: Devotee of Minerva

Nunc ades o coeptis, flava Minerva, meiss

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: January 08, 2010, 12:41:57 am »

Just saw it today, and it was visually stunning and, at least for me, imagination-tickling. Old story, old premise, old message, but it was pretty and I enjoyed it.

Now, I just read that James Cameron is apparently planning a trilogy, or that a trilogy had been the original plan all along. Not sure how that's going to work out...

He had a trilogy planned, but would only do the second two films if Avatar made enough money. Since it is pretty much the second highest grossing film of all time (right behind Titanic, heh) we can pretty much expect those sequels. To which he says will be more original, as the first movie was more to set up the world, characters, special effects.

EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #39: January 08, 2010, 06:17:50 am »

He had a trilogy planned, but would only do the second two films if Avatar made enough money. Since it is pretty much the second highest grossing film of all time (right behind Titanic, heh) we can pretty much expect those sequels. To which he says will be more original, as the first movie was more to set up the world, characters, special effects.

I hope the 'message' gets more nuanced.  Until I hear otherwise, I don't plan to see the sequels.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Draiochta
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 26, 2010, 02:25:20 am

Religion: Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: January 23, 2010, 07:45:19 pm »

I just saw the midnight release of this film and it is absolutely beautiful.

In fairness, when you think about it being aimed at a PG13 audience.. I thought the storyline was probably as deep as it.. Could... get.

But having said that... The ancient Irish tales, along with the mythologies of many other cultures, dealt more in archtypes, more than in individual character traits. The concept, the tale, the moral.. was way more important. The archetypes were personifications of our highest selves and their actions and acheivements, our best wishes for the society we wished to live within...

I think Avatar walked the fine tightrope of archetypal, moral storytelling, with some heavy splashes of Paganism and 21st century entertaiment imperitives...

This movie (to me) was the spoonful of sugar for the masses, to make a spiritual and environmental, medicine go down...

Cool

Nature is with us, not for us...
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: January 23, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »

The ancient Irish tales, along with the mythologies of many other cultures, dealt more in archtypes, more than in individual character traits. The concept, the tale, the moral.. was way more important. The archetypes were personifications of our highest selves and their actions and acheivements, our best wishes for the society we wished to live within...

Um. Sorry, but... no they didn't. And no, they weren't.

But since this isn't really the place to argue about that, I'll just leave it there.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Draiochta
Senior Newbie
Last Login:January 26, 2010, 02:25:20 am

Religion: Neo-Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: January 24, 2010, 11:25:16 am »

Um. Sorry, but... no they didn't. And no, they weren't.

But since this isn't really the place to argue about that, I'll just leave it there.

Would like to hear your opinion on this more... How do we switch topics or do we crate a new topic?

Nature is with us, not for us...
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: January 24, 2010, 12:15:52 pm »

Would like to hear your opinion on this more... How do we switch topics or do we crate a new topic?

You can create a new topic wherever you feel is appropriate in the rest of the board.  Smiley  I'd suggest either the "Gods, Goddesses and Mythology" folder or even the Hazel and Oak Celtic Polytheism SIG, if you want to narrow your focus to the Irish myths. My guess is you'd like to keep it open to include more mythologies, though, based on your post.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #44: February 03, 2010, 08:09:51 pm »

'Avatar' in the Amazon: A group of indigenous leaders from the Amazon in Ecuador’s capital Quito, to see the film "Avatar" on the big screen in 3D.

Not sure what to say on this, but I thought it was interesting!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)