The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 16, 2017, 01:37:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:37:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Deities labeled as Romano-Celtic  (Read 3590 times)
Gaia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 11, 2010, 11:50:59 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic Reconstruction

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 20, 2009, 03:55:45 pm »

There are a lot of deities labeled as Romano-Celtic.  The questions that come to my mind when I hear this are: If it has Roman influence then would this still be considered CR?  Would this be more of a Roman belief system?  If I am concentrating on Irish, Scottish, Welsh, British, and Gallic pantheons should I pay attention to anything Romano-Celtic?

"Celtic Reconstructionist Paganism (CR) is a polytheistic, animistic, religious and cultural movement.  It is an effort to reconstruct, within a modern Celtic Cultural context, the aspects, of ancient Celtic religions that were lost or subsumed by Christianity." -  The CR FAQ: An Introduction to Celtic Reconstructionist Paganism, "So What is Celtic Reconstructionism (CR)?"  pg.17 first paragraph  (book version)

http://www.paganachd.com/faq/index.html

According to the FAQ it is the pre-Christian Celts to pay attention to.  Can anyone give me some more information so we can clear this up?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: December 20, 2009, 05:08:49 pm »

According to the FAQ it is the pre-Christian Celts to pay attention to.  Can anyone give me some more information so we can clear this up?

See, here's what I think, YMMV, and of course I don't consider myself as a CR at all.

If someone intends to follow a kind of a 'real' and 'pure' thing, something the 'real' ancestors did or whatever, they forget some tiny little detail:
There is nothing totally homogeneous and straight-lined in history. Where would you put the starting point, where the end point?

People exchanged ideas and deities all the time. Religions, customs, cultures changed, developed and adapted.

From our place in time we can look back and cut out a certain period and call that the 'real' thing.
But its like with the Happy Ends in movies, isn't it? They're just happy ends, because the movie stops there.

See my little example. I like 'celtic', I live in an area with a gaulish-roman past.
My deities seem to be pre-celtic though. So *shrugs* what now?

If one wants to avoid everything christian in his/her path, if that is the main imperative of that path, then yes, you have to focus on the pre-christian things. (And imho get in trouble because that means to ignore everything written down by the monks, no?)

If the goal is to get connected to what one feels the right ancestry and culture, I think it's important to pay attention to all the parts in the history of that culture and how it dealt with the influences it came across. Be it roman or christian.

Clear as mud, I know Wink but that's what I think about it.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Gaia
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 20, 2009, 09:10:33 pm »

See, here's what I think, YMMV, and of course I don't consider myself as a CR at all.

If someone intends to follow a kind of a 'real' and 'pure' thing, something the 'real' ancestors did or whatever, they forget some tiny little detail:
There is nothing totally homogeneous and straight-lined in history. Where would you put the starting point, where the end point?

People exchanged ideas and deities all the time. Religions, customs, cultures changed, developed and adapted.

From our place in time we can look back and cut out a certain period and call that the 'real' thing.
But its like with the Happy Ends in movies, isn't it? They're just happy ends, because the movie stops there.

See my little example. I like 'celtic', I live in an area with a gaulish-roman past.
My deities seem to be pre-celtic though. So *shrugs* what now?

If one wants to avoid everything christian in his/her path, if that is the main imperative of that path, then yes, you have to focus on the pre-christian things. (And imho get in trouble because that means to ignore everything written down by the monks, no?)

If the goal is to get connected to what one feels the right ancestry and culture, I think it's important to pay attention to all the parts in the history of that culture and how it dealt with the influences it came across. Be it roman or christian.

Clear as mud, I know Wink but that's what I think about it.

So you think it would still be valid if I call myself a CR even though the deities are called Romano-Celtic?
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #3: December 20, 2009, 10:49:22 pm »

So you think it would still be valid if I call myself a CR even though the deities are called Romano-Celtic?

Reconstructionism is, imo, very much a method. If the deities you find yourself interested in are Romano-Celtic, and your practices are grounded in Celtic practices and culture, then I'd say you're likely to still fall under the CR umbrella. If you honored those same deities with Roman practices and from a Roman cultural stand-point, I'd say the CR umbrella wouldn't cover you anymore. Ymmv, of course.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Gaia
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 20, 2009, 11:13:58 pm »

General:

Thank you! I was a bit confused.  Tongue
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: December 21, 2009, 12:12:38 am »

Reconstructionism is, imo, very much a method. If the deities you find yourself interested in are Romano-Celtic, and your practices are grounded in Celtic practices and culture, then I'd say you're likely to still fall under the CR umbrella. If you honored those same deities with Roman practices and from a Roman cultural stand-point, I'd say the CR umbrella wouldn't cover you anymore. Ymmv, of course.

Also, IMO, what you call yourself is much less important than what you belief and/or how you live your life and honor your deities.

I guess what I'm saying -- besides seconding Juni's point that CR is a method more than it is a specific religion -- is that you need to figure out for yourself what elements are important to you.  To a large extent, what you call it is irrelevant.  Many of us have created our own names for our paths because we realize that, as Tana said upthread, there isn't anything homogeneous about the Celts or their religious beliefs, so we have to try to figure a lot of it out ourselves.

IOW, don't worry about it.  Go with your instincts and follow your callings.   Cheesy

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Gaia
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 21, 2009, 01:15:22 am »

To All:

Thank you for all your input.  This makes things much easier for me.
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 21, 2009, 01:47:31 am »

The questions that come to my mind when I hear this are: If it has Roman influence then would this still be considered CR?
I'm not a CR, I'm a Traditionalist, but IMO that's one thing I wouldn't understand. A lot of statues and what not that we have of Celtic deities came from areas of Roman occupation, because of State politics. However, it became a Celtic practice, in that area. Just like Ireland, the Irish didn't cease to be Gaels with the advent of Christianity, many pre-Christian Gaelic beliefs and traditions were absorbed into Celtic Christianity, and are still alive today. If one were to ignore these, then they'd be ignoring a huge part of our culture. Contemporary culture is something that is vital IMO, because we don't live in an Iron Age society, and we know about a lot of pre-Christian beliefs because of folk traditions. Considering there are huge amounts of information that we'll never know about the Celts, then that doesn't leave you with much, if the sources that have been influenced are discredited. 

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
Gaia
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 22, 2009, 10:36:37 pm »

You know what?  I think this is exactly what I needed to hear, erm... read.  I pondered this for a couple days and I am very happy with the conclusion I came to.  I don't think I would have come to that conclusion without this.  Than you.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #9: December 22, 2009, 11:05:43 pm »

You know what?  I think this is exactly what I needed to hear, erm... read.  I pondered this for a couple days and I am very happy with the conclusion I came to.  I don't think I would have come to that conclusion without this.  Than you.

Glad I could help!

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)