The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 30, 2020, 09:44:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2020, 09:44:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Daily Motivation  (Read 9754 times)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm
United States United States

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: December 21, 2009, 12:45:23 am »

As many of you know, I deal with literally constant migraines.  Lately, it's gotten really hard just to get out of bed in the morning.  Usually, once I manage to get going, the momentum keeps me going (unless it's an especially bad day), but getting started is awful.  I'm considering disability, but trying to keep working as long as possible, so I'm trying to figure out how to motivate myself more effectively to get passed the pain.

F'ex, I've just commissioned a ring inscribed with "Pain isn't everything.  Get up and keep living."  I find that little things like that, small objects I can keep with me all the time, help keep me mindful of whatever it is I'm trying to focus on.

But I'm looking for other effective motivational techniques.  What gets you out of bed every morning?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 21, 2009, 02:55:32 am »

As many of you know, I deal with literally constant migraines.  Lately, it's gotten really hard just to get out of bed in the morning.  Usually, once I manage to get going, the momentum keeps me going (unless it's an especially bad day), but getting started is awful.  I'm considering disability, but trying to keep working as long as possible, so I'm trying to figure out how to motivate myself more effectively to get passed the pain.

F'ex, I've just commissioned a ring inscribed with "Pain isn't everything.  Get up and keep living."  I find that little things like that, small objects I can keep with me all the time, help keep me mindful of whatever it is I'm trying to focus on.

But I'm looking for other effective motivational techniques.  What gets you out of bed every morning?
my sister has a similar problem, though not as severe. we found out that hers were stress related and that two things would knock them out- novocaine and a zap from an electric fence for horses. YMMV, but if you've had dental work recently you could try comparing pain levels.

as for the topic.... a desire to get up and do. not much help, i know  Undecided

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 21, 2009, 04:06:19 am »

My sympathies about the migraines.  ((Moon Ivy))

I read what other people do.  I have friends online who inspire me to do ritual by just reading about what they do.  Then I start to think--I want that and then I ask myself what can I do and what can I do to make it happen. 

If that happens to be just pouring one libation, then I do that.  If that happens to be a complete ritual, than I do that. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:Today at 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: December 21, 2009, 08:06:15 am »

This time of year, the dogs wanting to get up. Much of the rest of the year, dawn's soft glow wakes me up.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jubes
Journeyman
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:34:54 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: N/A

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 21, 2009, 08:46:09 am »

What gets you out of bed every morning?

The  kids.... if it wasn't for them I'd  sleep till noon!  Grin

Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......
Devo
Master Member
Last Login:October 26, 2011, 09:58:01 pm

Religion: Kemetic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 21, 2009, 10:16:55 am »

Do you mind me asking- what have you tried for your migraines? That's a total suck about the migraines. My mom has a bone spur right up by her atlas, which gives her migraines frequently, so I can understand the problem (I get them often as well). That totally sucks for you, and I hope that you find something that can help.

As for motivation, for myself, I motivate myself with money. I can't afford to not have my job. So that's waht gets me up in the morning. The other thing that motivates me is a want to have/be something more than I am. I don't want to be a small fry or poor starving artist for hte rest of my life. I want to attain something more. And I can't get it if I never try.

Often times, finding things that mean something to you, and then leaving visual cues around your person to remind you of those things can help keep your mentality solid. That would be my best suggestion.

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #6: December 21, 2009, 10:59:18 am »

Wow, I'm really not the one who's an expert on motivation.  Roll Eyes

I lack it most of the time - that I get up in the morning and go to work is sheer habit.
If I had your issues, I'm not sure anything could get me going.

Besides the things mentioned upthread, when the dog needs to get out, he needs to get out, no matter how I feel, so love and responsibility are a motivation.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
SilentEcho
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 20, 2011, 07:46:31 am

Religion: Pagan, eclectic studies for now

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 21, 2009, 11:35:55 am »

Usually, the urge to pee....( sorry).    Cheesy  Roll Eyes

What type of routines do you have for bedtime, and first thing in the morning?  How many hours of good sleep do you get each night?  Do you have to take a sleep aid? 

One of the things that helps me first thing in the morning(aside from a pot of coffee) is taking that 'get the day' going shower.  I prefer a 'hot' shower, especially this time of year when I'd much rather stay cacooned under the blankets.  Find something that you enjoy doing and incorporate that into your morning.   

If you'd like, you can PM me with the details if you don't want to discuss things here.

~SE~
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #8: December 21, 2009, 12:12:20 pm »

Motivational quote of the day: "Never give up. Never surrender." - Jason Nesmith, Galaxy Quest

I intentionally cultivate an attitude of stubbornness when it comes to things that might hold me back and absolutely refuse to let ill health keep me bedridden if I have an ounce of strength to do otherwise. On my worst days, I force myself to make a three item to-do list before getting up and commit as to be to completing it.  Even if the first item needs to be "Get up", that's okay, because by gods, I can't do anything else if I make the decision to stay in bed.   

darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 21, 2009, 02:37:58 pm »

As many of you know, I deal with literally constant migraines. 

Sorry about the migraines two of my friends get them alot one caused by stress the other by the pill.

Motivation wise I tend to set myself a goal every morning to learn something new whether thats a new word from my language learning, degree stuff, art, cooking, gossip  Grin etc. It helps keep me focused otherwise I wouldn't have bothered getting out of bed in uni when I was feeling depressed.
Before I moved back home I used to look forward to my daily morning devotions that also helped me get up.

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #10: December 21, 2009, 04:45:39 pm »

Motivational quote of the day: "Never give up. Never surrender." - Jason Nesmith, Galaxy Quest

Cheesy This is one of my favorite quotes and kind of my attitude in life too.
But when I've got a headache, I tend to crawl to some nice quiet and dark place and go postal on everyone disturbing me.
(Kind of evolutional regression to something with fangs and claws *lol*)

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: December 21, 2009, 10:00:30 pm »

Motivation wise I tend to set myself a goal every morning to learn something new

Wow, these are some great ideas!  Thanks, everyone!

I have to say I particularly like the ideas of learning something new each day, making a *short* to-do list, having objects that remind me of good things, morning devotionals, incorporating something I enjoy into my morning routine, and, of course, money.  Wink  I guess that was just about all of the ideas so far, wasn't it?  Wink

For those who asked, I've had this problem for a very long time (40 years) and have seen more doctors than I remember.  I've tried every migraine med (I've even been a test subject for a few), as well as all the other meds that are used for migraines (e.g., blood pressure meds, anti-depressants, anti-seizure meds, etc.).  I've tried every "alternative" remedy I've ever heard of, including dietary changes and supplements, acupuncture, physical therapy, brain wave stimulation, etc.  If you really want to know more, PM me.  I don't mind talking about it, but I don't want to hijack the thread or bore people who have already read about my health issues.   Smiley

To be honest, I'm not really looking for suggestions about the migraines themselves, although I'm always open to new ideas.  What I need help with is overcoming the chronic pain and its associated depression, which is what makes it so blasted hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Thanks!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 29, 2020, 10:05:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: December 21, 2009, 11:05:38 pm »

To be honest, I'm not really looking for suggestions about the migraines themselves, although I'm always open to new ideas.  What I need help with is overcoming the chronic pain and its associated depression, which is what makes it so blasted hard to get out of bed in the morning.
Well, I don't have any brilliant suggestions for getting yourself out of bed (unless people like this are part of why you get depressed), but I have a smartass answer to hand to people who don't believe in your migraines:  "Of course they're all in my head, they're headaches!  Where would you expect them to be, my baby toe?"

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: December 21, 2009, 11:19:46 pm »

Well, I don't have any brilliant suggestions for getting yourself out of bed (unless people like this are part of why you get depressed), but I have a smartass answer to hand to people who don't believe in your migraines:  "Of course they're all in my head, they're headaches!  Where would you expect them to be, my baby toe?"

Sunflower

I'm soooooo very glad that for once I wasn't drinking something while reading!  Wink  Cheesy

((Moon Ivy)) I get migraines monthly, but wow... I couldn't imagine living with them every day. The thing that gets me out of bed (besides the cat yelling in my ear Wink ) is that I'm finally taking control over my own life. Since I no longer have anyone living with me, I can do for myself for the first time in 25 years. Going back to school has been the big motivator to get myself moving when depression hits.

Not sure how much that helps....

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #14: December 21, 2009, 11:29:35 pm »

For me, it's a constant struggle with depression, anhedonia (emotional flatlining) and suicidal ideology - luckily for me, blood pressure meds effectively cured my migraines, which is something I would have suggested, but you mentioned you've already tried them. Beta blockers are my friends.

I get out of bed so I can go to work. I work to pay the bills. I pay the bills because I am a creature of convenience. Electricity is more convenient than no electricity. I hate showering in cold water. The internet is more convenient than no internet. I don't commit suicide because I'm afraid I'll fail. I failed numerous times as a pre-teen & teenager - I even threw myself in front of a car when I was 11 - but I'm still here. Failing at suicide as a teen was an an inconvenience -but failing as an adult is even more inconvenient. It means a possible lengthy stay in a hospital, possibly long enough to lose my job, therefore my insurance... no job, no insurance, no money = no electricity and no hot water. I drag my ass out of bed and into the dull morning routine because I need electricity and hot water. Nothing more, nothing less.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)