The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
June 26, 2022, 07:03:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2022, 07:03:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Army general in Iraq says pregnant soldiers, fathers could face court-martial  (Read 9381 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 24, 2009, 03:29:06 pm »

WASHINGTON - A U.S. Army general in northern Iraq has added pregnancy to the list of reasons a soldier under his command could be court-martialed.

Isn't this over the top?  Does he really expect this to work?  Does the Military Laws allow this?

I've been avoiding this thread, because my initial reaction appears to be considerably different than the reactions of the members of this forum (at least, the ones posting here) and I've been trying to pinpoint why. For me, this line from the first article sums up the issue for me (emphasis mine):

But other restrictions seemed aimed at preventing soldiers from leaving their unit short-handed, including becoming pregnant or undergoing elective surgery that would prevent their deployment.

Some have mentioned in this thread about the military keeping their nose out of people's business, about providing contraception, etcetera, but I think you're missing a fundamental point here. Joining the military is a choice in the United States. Yes, in some cases it is a choice taken because there are no viable others, but it is still a choice. And it is a massive responsibility, especially when deployed. I think that a soldier's unit has the right to depend on the other members to be there for them, and pregnancy interferes with that. I am not a soldier, I have never been one and I never will be. I cannot ever comprehend the stresses of deployment and active duty, and I can understand that sex would be an outlet. That does not, however, negate the fact that you made a choice and you took on a responsibility.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 24, 2009, 03:44:39 pm »

Some have mentioned in this thread about the military keeping their nose out of people's business, about providing contraception, etcetera, but I think you're missing a fundamental point here. Joining the military is a choice in the United States.

I don't think that fundamental point is being missed. From how I read the thread, the question is whether the military's blanket ban on sex is a proportionate way of ensuring the integrity of the unit. That's related to, but different from, the question of how responsible the soldiers are. YMMV.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 24, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »

I don't think that fundamental point is being missed. From how I read the thread, the question is whether the military's blanket ban on sex is a proportionate way of ensuring the integrity of the unit. That's related to, but different from, the question of how responsible the soldiers are. YMMV.

It's not a blanket ban, however. Typically, pregnant soldiers are simply sent home. Only those serving under Maj. Gen. Cuolo in northern Iraq would be subject to this decision.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: December 24, 2009, 07:08:28 pm »

It's not a blanket ban, however. Typically, pregnant soldiers are simply sent home. Only those serving under Maj. Gen. Cuolo in northern Iraq would be subject to this decision.

My mistake. You'd think I'd have paid more attention to the first post when I reread this thread.  Embarrassed Though I stand by my point otherwise.

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: December 24, 2009, 07:23:02 pm »

well, when a pregnancy removes a soldier from the unit, and an actual ban on sex is the only reliable way to keep it from happening (rape not included), then, actually, a ban is reasonable.  And the courtmartial idea is a way to have the personal downsides seriously override the possible upside of being removed from your unit and sent back out of harms way.  I'm not saying that the women intentionally get pregnant to be sent home, but if you don't want to be there and you don't have a man at home that's going to leave you over this, your oopsie can have a major upside if it doesn't affect your career otherwise than the normal affect being a single parent will have on any woman's career.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
treekisser
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: December 24, 2009, 07:52:37 pm »

well, when a pregnancy removes a soldier from the unit, and an actual ban on sex is the only reliable way to keep it from happening (rape not included), then, actually, a ban is reasonable. 

Agreed. But I have no idea whether that ban is the only way to keep it from happening, and that hasn't been really discussed so far, so I don't know how reasonable it is.

(But my point to Juni was that, as I read the thread, the question is about the reasonableness of the ban rather than the reasonableness of the soldier's actions.)

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 24, 2009, 07:57:25 pm »

well, when a pregnancy removes a soldier from the unit, and an actual ban on sex is the only reliable way to keep it from happening (rape not included), then, actually, a ban is reasonable.  And the courtmartial idea is a way to have the personal downsides seriously override the possible upside of being removed from your unit and sent back out of harms way.  I'm not saying that the women intentionally get pregnant to be sent home, but if you don't want to be there and you don't have a man at home that's going to leave you over this, your oopsie can have a major upside if it doesn't affect your career otherwise than the normal affect being a single parent will have on any woman's career.

And it may be the only upside to the oopsie, but this is more incentive not to engage in behavior that could lead to pregnancy.  And so long as it subsequently has the same effect on the man, I'm ok with it.

What we really need is something a friend of mine came up with for his mature level star trek game, as unmarried starfleet members, we all had little stopcocks in the important places, that prevented pregnancy/  But that is yet a ways away.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #22: December 24, 2009, 09:18:37 pm »

Update

War zone pregnancy punishments being dropped

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091225/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_iraq_pregnant_soldiers

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: December 24, 2009, 09:43:33 pm »

War zone pregnancy punishments being dropped

I expected as much. This was not going over well with the US public.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #24: December 25, 2009, 05:57:31 pm »

Good.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)