The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2017, 06:50:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 06:50:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help With Disposal of Food Offerings  (Read 13889 times)
Anteros
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:38:40 am
Serbia and Montenegro Serbia and Montenegro

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Believe yourself, and no one will deceive you...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 22, 2009, 06:54:41 am »

Hello!
I decided Hellenic polytheism is the most appropriate religion for me...
It was a long trip, and SO hard decision, that I in the end used divination. I wrote on 12 small papers, names of the all pagan religions that are alive today. I prayed to all Gods for help... In the morning, I picked paper with Greek recon... Smiley
I love it!
BUT, here is my only problem with that religion - OFFERINGS
I just CAN'T leave the food outside!
Since I practiced Kemetic religion, it's very nice for me to eat the offerings, after the ritual.
Question:
Can I eat offerings? Is it wrong? Please answer.
I can't leave apples around my yard, I can't bury them anywhere (it's snow here btw), and especially NO GRILLING!
Also, it's kind of inappropriate for me to "waste" food and take it away.
Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 07:05:22 am by Star, Reason: Changed subject to make it more specific » Logged

The Greatest One, Slayer of evil serpent - the opponent of Majestic Ra, bless all of us...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 21, 2017, 09:22:51 am
United States United States

TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 22, 2009, 08:21:56 am »

Libations can just be poured on the ground -- even if it is just a symbolic few drops.  Meat sacrifices were generally feasts in ancient Greece. The priests and people ate everything they could and only what they could not eat was left for the Gods.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Anteros
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 22, 2009, 08:24:06 am »

Libations can just be poured on the ground -- even if it is just a symbolic few drops.  Meat sacrifices were generally feasts in ancient Greece. The priests and people ate everything they could and only what they could not eat was left for the Gods.
Okay, first thank you for replaying. Does it then mean that I can eat a cake, or chocolate, fruit or whatever I offer to Gods?

The Greatest One, Slayer of evil serpent - the opponent of Majestic Ra, bless all of us...
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 27, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »

Hello!

Oh, I understand your dilema.  I can't leave the offerings outside, but I feel I can't eat them either!  So, what to do with them?  I'm looking forward to others' answers, but I wanted to suggest giving an offering of something other than food.  You could also do volunteer work for a cause that is associated with a deity, offering songs, poems, art, donate money to specific causes...light a candle or burn incense They like.  Offerings don't have to be just food.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Anteros
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 28, 2009, 04:35:12 am »

Oh, I understand your dilema.  I can't leave the offerings outside, but I feel I can't eat them either!  So, what to do with them?  I'm looking forward to others' answers, but I wanted to suggest giving an offering of something other than food.  You could also do volunteer work for a cause that is associated with a deity, offering songs, poems, art, donate money to specific causes...light a candle or burn incense They like.  Offerings don't have to be just food.

Thank you for replaying. Smiley
I read in Sanion's page how certain deities would be worshiped in everyday life.
I am very good in house jobs, so in that way I worship Hestia. I  am trying to "cover" all deities Olympians with things I do through the day.
As Randall said, I make libations, give a little amount of everything I drink through the day, to the Gods.
Candles, incenses, arts, and other things go pretty well, but still, when I eat something, I wish to thank to Demeter, and other Gods, to dedicate that food to them... That's why I ask this question.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 10, 2010, 09:08:19 am »

Candles, incenses, arts, and other things go pretty well, but still, when I eat something, I wish to thank to Demeter, and other Gods, to dedicate that food to them... That's why I ask this question.

I'm not strictly Greek Recon, but I tend to split the food offerings between myself and the gods. For example, I raise an apple so the gods can take a symbolic first bite, and then I take a bite out of it, and leave it on my altar until the ritual is done. The gods consume the essence and I either finish it or, more often, go place it at the base of a maple tree in my backyard. Currently I've got a small bowl of rice and rosemary clippings to Aphrodite that's charging on my altar and I plan on sprinkling that out by the bird feeder so at least that gets recycled.

I would talk to the deities - one on one, if that's easier for you - and ask them directly how they feel about the treatment of their offerings. One way to think of leaving your edible offerings outside is that, so long as they're vegan and not too processed, they should biodegrade into the environment just fine. It could become food for animals, or later on sustenance for plants, etc. If you can't do it in your yard, put it in a small brown bag and take it to a nearby park or some sort of wild area (but take the bag back home with you!). If you've got a compost, you could use that in a pinch, and if you absolutely cannot take it outside or consume the food yourself, say a quick prayer and toss it in the trashcan. If that's your only alternative, the gods will understand - and I'm sure they don't want old, decaying food on their altars, either!

Also, I second the suggestion of non-food offerings. Candles and incense are good, but so is volunteer time. For an earthy deity such as Demeter, Persephone, or Dionysus, who almost seem to require food or drink offerings, consider what they stand for and how their influence might be felt in modern society. For Demeter, you could bake bread, with the actual time and effort behind the baking as your offering, and the nice warm bread for yourself. Smiley Or, you could get together a donation for a local food pantry. For Persephone, get outside after the spring thaw and do some gardening, or offer to help with a neighbor's garden. For Dionysus, you could visit a local vineyard and learn about the winemaking process. On the other hand, you could also volunteer for a group like AA, or any organization dealing with drug abuse or mental problems.

As I've said, I'm not Greek Recon and a lot of my impressions are admittedly UPG. However, I feel that the gods (especially the Classical ones) are understanding, and that they do value the intent and motivation behind actions. Learn as much as you can about the way the ancients did it, the way the moderns are doing it, and how the gods seem to be guiding you, and I think you'll be just fine. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Anteros
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 10, 2010, 09:24:50 am »

I'm not strictly Greek Recon, but I tend to split the food offerings between myself and the gods. For example, I raise an apple so the gods can take a symbolic first bite, and then I take a bite out of it, and leave it on my altar until the ritual is done. The gods consume the essence and I either finish it or, more often, go place it at the base of a maple tree in my backyard. Currently I've got a small bowl of rice and rosemary clippings to Aphrodite that's charging on my altar and I plan on sprinkling that out by the bird feeder so at least that gets recycled.

I would talk to the deities - one on one, if that's easier for you - and ask them directly how they feel about the treatment of their offerings. One way to think of leaving your edible offerings outside is that, so long as they're vegan and not too processed, they should biodegrade into the environment just fine. It could become food for animals, or later on sustenance for plants, etc. If you can't do it in your yard, put it in a small brown bag and take it to a nearby park or some sort of wild area (but take the bag back home with you!). If you've got a compost, you could use that in a pinch, and if you absolutely cannot take it outside or consume the food yourself, say a quick prayer and toss it in the trashcan. If that's your only alternative, the gods will understand - and I'm sure they don't want old, decaying food on their altars, either!

Also, I second the suggestion of non-food offerings. Candles and incense are good, but so is volunteer time. For an earthy deity such as Demeter, Persephone, or Dionysus, who almost seem to require food or drink offerings, consider what they stand for and how their influence might be felt in modern society. For Demeter, you could bake bread, with the actual time and effort behind the baking as your offering, and the nice warm bread for yourself. Smiley Or, you could get together a donation for a local food pantry. For Persephone, get outside after the spring thaw and do some gardening, or offer to help with a neighbor's garden. For Dionysus, you could visit a local vineyard and learn about the winemaking process. On the other hand, you could also volunteer for a group like AA, or any organization dealing with drug abuse or mental problems.

As I've said, I'm not Greek Recon and a lot of my impressions are admittedly UPG. However, I feel that the gods (especially the Classical ones) are understanding, and that they do value the intent and motivation behind actions. Learn as much as you can about the way the ancients did it, the way the moderns are doing it, and how the gods seem to be guiding you, and I think you'll be just fine. Smiley

Thank you a lot. I appreciate your answer. Smiley I think you've said a lot of good things. Thank you once again.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 10, 2010, 09:31:46 am »

Thank you a lot. I appreciate your answer. Smiley I think you've said a lot of good things. Thank you once again.

No problem! Smiley I'm glad to help and I wish you the best of luck on your path.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Carnelian
Master Member
Last Login:January 15, 2012, 12:55:04 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Greek paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 19, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »

Hello!
I decided Hellenic polytheism is the most appropriate religion for me...
It was a long trip, and SO hard decision, that I in the end used divination. I wrote on 12 small papers, names of the all pagan religions that are alive today. I prayed to all Gods for help... In the morning, I picked paper with Greek recon... Smiley
I love it!
Since I practiced Kemetic religion, it's very nice for me to eat the offerings, after the ritual.
Question:
Can I eat offerings? Is it wrong? Please answer.
I can't leave apples around my yard, I can't bury them anywhere (it's snow here btw), and especially NO GRILLING!
Also, it's kind of inappropriate for me to "waste" food and take it away.
Thank you in advance.

That is tricky. From a Hellenic perspective, the offerings are not supposed to be touched after they are offered to gods. The wastefulness is considered a display of piety. In Egypt, on the other hand, food was scarce, so wasting food was out of the question. Honestly, I don't think it matters to the gods either way, as the difference in practice has more to do with culture than unshakable divine truth. I think in Egypt, the life force of the food was given to the gods using the ankh to transfer it from the food to the statue, so maybe you could do that before you eat the food.
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 15, 2010, 04:22:22 pm »

That is tricky. From a Hellenic perspective, the offerings are not supposed to be touched after they are offered to gods. The wastefulness is considered a display of piety. In Egypt, on the other hand, food was scarce, so wasting food was out of the question. Honestly, I don't think it matters to the gods either way, as the difference in practice has more to do with culture than unshakable divine truth. I think in Egypt, the life force of the food was given to the gods using the ankh to transfer it from the food to the statue, so maybe you could do that before you eat the food.

And in Ireland and Scotland (according to CR) is it harmful to the living if offered food is consumed. 

Doesn't exactly fly with me...I mean something has to eat the food whether it's human, animal, whatever.  How can eating the physical be harmful to the living even after the essence is removed?

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 16, 2010, 10:48:27 pm »

Well, its an offering, right? Then spend the time and money to get a high quality candle or some very nice incense and offer that. I'm currently burning a holiday chai candle that seems to be going down very well. Its a neat way to sidestep edible offerings while still giving something yummy ^_^

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 17, 2010, 01:30:45 pm »

And in Ireland and Scotland (according to CR) is it harmful to the living if offered food is consumed.

Do you have a source for this? I've been thinking a lot on this subject and I'd love to have some more source material to dig in.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 17, 2010, 04:44:48 pm »

Do you have a source for this? I've been thinking a lot on this subject and I'd love to have some more source material to dig in.

From The CR FAQ Smiley

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 17, 2010, 09:40:15 pm »

From The CR FAQ Smiley

Ah, thanks. Smiley I'll have to see if any of them can cite a source.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
darashand
Adept Member

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: February 18, 2010, 04:54:43 pm »

Ah, thanks. Smiley I'll have to see if any of them can cite a source.

Np.  Hope you find what you are looking for (and will share it with us)!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)