The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 20, 2017, 03:31:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 03:31:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help With Disposal of Food Offerings  (Read 13890 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #15: February 21, 2010, 11:33:57 am »

Np.  Hope you find what you are looking for (and will share it with us)!

Here's the post and comments- I'm giveyoulife. It's not locked so it should be viewable to anyone whether they have an LJ account or not, but let me know if you have issues.

What I personally drew from it and sources I was directed to was that the idea comes from folk interaction with the Good Folk, under the assumption that the Good Folk in question were once the gods, and that the folk tradition survived from deity traditions pre-dating Christianity in the area. This is not an idea I adhere to, so the practice really makes no sense for me.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: February 21, 2010, 05:09:33 pm »

Currently I've got a small bowl of rice and rosemary clippings to Aphrodite that's charging on my altar and I plan on sprinkling that out by the bird feeder so at least that gets recycled.

Be careful with the rice.  It's not good for birds to eat.  That's why people don't throw it at weddings anymore.  It swells up in the birds stomach, can kill them.  I didn't know this until a friend was planning her wedding and I asked her why the bubbles instead of rice. 
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #17: February 21, 2010, 06:54:24 pm »

Be careful with the rice.  It's not good for birds to eat.  That's why people don't throw it at weddings anymore.  It swells up in the birds stomach, can kill them.  I didn't know this until a friend was planning her wedding and I asked her why the bubbles instead of rice. 

If you cook it first, it would probably be fine.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: February 21, 2010, 07:45:14 pm »

yeah, had a feeling .. Snopes says not true.  http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: March 23, 2010, 12:43:00 pm »

Here's the post and comments- I'm giveyoulife. It's not locked so it should be viewable to anyone whether they have an LJ account or not, but let me know if you have issues.

What I personally drew from it and sources I was directed to was that the idea comes from folk interaction with the Good Folk, under the assumption that the Good Folk in question were once the gods, and that the folk tradition survived from deity traditions pre-dating Christianity in the area. This is not an idea I adhere to, so the practice really makes no sense for me.

Interesting comments.  I don't think I will ever feel right about eating the offered food (much like the kitteh comic), but I couldn't ethically place the food outside for someone's pet to get into it and have something harmful happen to them.  Logically, could the Kindreds eat the offerings physically?  I wouldn't begin to answer...but something does have to eat it.  Maybe the Kindreds have something come along and take care of the "leftovers", so it wouldn't be so harmful if that happened? Or would it?

Hrm.

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
Sky Samuelle
Journeyman
Last Login:August 29, 2011, 09:19:47 am
Italy Italy

Religion: Polytheistic Solitary Witch, Hekate's devotee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: May 07, 2011, 01:18:19 pm »

Interesting comments.  I don't think I will ever feel right about eating the offered food (much like the kitteh comic), but I couldn't ethically place the food outside for someone's pet to get into it and have something harmful happen to them.  Logically, could the Kindreds eat the offerings physically?  I wouldn't begin to answer...but something does have to eat it.  Maybe the Kindreds have something come along and take care of the "leftovers", so it wouldn't be so harmful if that happened? Or would it?

Hrm.

I was among those who disposed of food offerings by placing them outside, but it has been becoming increasingly impractical.

I'm a city girl and i live in a small apartment with no garden- my food offerings were moved to the local crossroad i could most easily reach with my feet, since i also have no car. Libations of wine, oil and milk were spilled to my plans after a certain time.

Still, leaving my offerings in a spot outside withpout having anyone to see is being a problem and my plants' vases has been attracting all kinds of mosqitos so... a change of practice was abviously in order.

While i offer often incense and actions, i did not feel like giving up completely to food offerings. There's something about sharing food and cook for your deities that is much like taking care of your family, i value that too much for losing it.

So now i leaver edible offerings on my altar for a reasonably long time, so said deity can take their life force, and before eating it i say a short prayer where i specify that 'may this food to return to You through my body ' - the working idea here is that anything i leave outside will eventually return to deity through somebody 's mouth anyway, so it might as well to be mine.

But... I must say i don't feel comfortable doing this for anyone but Hekate and Dionysos, two deities I feel closest so far. For everyone else, I just offer incense and prayer. 

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another. ~ Anatole France
Derek
Master Member
Last Login:December 08, 2012, 04:12:38 pm

Religion: hellenic-ish polytheist

In the beginning, the Universe percieved itself.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: May 07, 2011, 05:56:11 pm »

That is tricky. From a Hellenic perspective, the offerings are not supposed to be touched after they are offered to gods. The wastefulness is considered a display of piety.

I've always thought the reason for the non-reversion was that what was given to the gods was now the property of the gods and not for us to use/eat/dispose of.  And that, being the garbage of the Divine, it wasn't proper to co-mingle with mundane garbage, if we acted as trash collectors for them.

Which works, in a small country town with few people, where there's room for a separate place for the gods garbage.  Also in large cities with dedicated spaces for divine garbage.  Also helpful when you burn the garbage down to ash, which is much more compact.

Doesn't work as well in modern society, where we a)have a lot more daily garbage and b)generally don't dispose of it at our homes.

The purpose of Life is to experience. In order to experience new things, one has to change and grow. Therefore, to grow is integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Conversly: Monotony is an experience.  Therefore, stagnation can be integral to fulfilling the purpose of Life.
Arienwen
Adept Member
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 10:45:21 am

Religion: exploring hellenistic recon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: May 08, 2011, 03:33:02 pm »

Hello!
I decided Hellenic polytheism is the most appropriate religion for me...
It was a long trip, and SO hard decision, that I in the end used divination. I wrote on 12 small papers, names of the all pagan religions that are alive today. I prayed to all Gods for help... In the morning, I picked paper with Greek recon... Smiley
I love it!
BUT, here is my only problem with that religion - OFFERINGS
I just CAN'T leave the food outside!
Since I practiced Kemetic religion, it's very nice for me to eat the offerings, after the ritual.
Question:
Can I eat offerings? Is it wrong? Please answer.
I can't leave apples around my yard, I can't bury them anywhere (it's snow here btw), and especially NO GRILLING!
Also, it's kind of inappropriate for me to "waste" food and take it away.
Thank you in advance.

I had a similar problem when I first started out.  For me, I believe that once something is offered, it is kind of rude to take it away, but since I can't really afford to waste that much food I started offering little bits of things (mostly for the sacrifice to Hestia).  For example, if I have pasta I usually only put one or two noodles on her offering plate.  That way it's not too much of a waste, but the intent is there.  For Aphrodite the offerings are usually things like incense and Hymns and stuff so it is easier to figure out what to do with it.

As for disposal of foodstuffs, I have the same problem.  I live in an apartment with no yard to speak of!  I was told that it was okay to throw the food away, so long as it was in a bag separate from the other trash.

Don't know if this helps or not.  Good Luck!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)