The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 21, 2020, 05:41:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2020, 05:41:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus Shoots Santa  (Read 9378 times)
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: December 23, 2009, 07:16:30 am »

http://www.2thedeuce.com/news/kdvr-jesus-shoots-santa-122109,0,97701.story

NIPOMO, Calif. - A lawn display of "Jesus" shooting " Santa Claus" has residents in one San Luis Obispo County area up in arms.

The controversial Christmas display shows a Jesus figure pointing a double-barrel shotgun at a dead Santa figure. Santa's reindeer Rudolph lays sprawled across the hood of a pickup truck nearby.

Very South Park.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #16: December 23, 2009, 08:41:15 am »

Honestly, the thing that's really bothering me here IS that I'm a parent - I'm looking at this as someone that might have to explain this to my four year old.  I don't think this is a mature way to handle something when you live across from a school bus stop.

As a current non-parent (with the startling prospect of change on that front), how old would you like your child to be before you had to try and explain something like that? What makes it hardest?

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #17: December 23, 2009, 08:43:17 am »

I was worried that I'd be the only one to find this funny.

I laughed my arse off, as a knee-jerk response Cheesy I can see the more serious side now that it's been brought up, but I have to work at it;)

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #18: December 23, 2009, 09:09:26 am »

As a current non-parent (with the startling prospect of change on that front), how old would you like your child to be before you had to try and explain something like that? What makes it hardest?

Well, let's start with "Oh no, Santa's dead!" and work from there!

I wouldn't want to deal with it with elementary school kids - even though they likely don't believe in Santa, there's still a violence aspect that I think would be hard to explain.  And if they're actually Christian kids, that makes it even harder ... "No, Jesus is all about loving your neighbor, not whacking Santa".  I mean, can you imagine?

I'd at least have an easier time 'cause my kid wouldn't know who the robed guy was with the gun .......

I think the real problem for me with that as a hypothetical is that I DO NOT KNOW what my son would notice first and what he'd react on.  You just don't KNOW with kids - and you don't know what they internalize without saying something, either.  I was playing a video game with a secret door and he FREAKED OUT because "walls don't do that".  If he freaked out over an opening wall, how much is he gonna freak out over dead Santa?

And add to that the fact that the kid is probably going to see it BEFORE the parent does, so there's NO time to come up with a list of responses, and that's just not a fun moment in parenting right there.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #19: December 23, 2009, 09:15:54 am »

I really can't answer the first question because there's not a number I have in mind or anything.  It's less about "how old is my child" and more about "how much of this display is my child able to understand".  Different children will understand different amounts at different ages.  As long as Natalie doesn't understand any of the relevant elements, I'm not that worried about it, to be honest.  When she understands that Jesus has killed Santa, but doesn't understand why Jesus would do that or why anyone would want to kill Santa, that's where the problem starts to come in.

Shad's pretty much covered the second question for me.  As well, the commentary it's expressing is just on a level that's way over a young kid's head.  That's not necessarily a reason to refrain from doing anything, but it does make the situation harder to deal with, because you can explain all you want and they're still, "BUT SANTA!  IS DEAD!"

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #20: December 23, 2009, 09:21:55 am »

I think the real problem for me with that as a hypothetical is that I DO NOT KNOW what my son would notice first and what he'd react on.  You just don't KNOW with kids - and you don't know what they internalize without saying something, either.  I was playing a video game with a secret door and he FREAKED OUT because "walls don't do that".  If he freaked out over an opening wall, how much is he gonna freak out over dead Santa?

Yeah, exactly.  We put on the Garfield Thanksgiving special a while back for Natalie because we figured it would be pretty non-threatening.  In almost the first scene, Garfield comes in to wake Jon up and demand breakfast.  In the process, he startles Jon into falling out of bed.  As soon as that happened, Natalie absolutely flipped out--zero to scream in under half a second, I swear, because a cartoon character fell out of bed and didn't even hurt himself.  You really never know what's going to scare a young kid.

And I'm not arguing that we should keep everything remotely scary or possibly traumatic out of the world to keep it safe for them.  Let's just wrap them in bubble wrap while we're at it, you know?  It does seem polite, though, to avoid public displays that could reasonably be assumed to be traumatic, like Jesus shooting Santa, if you live in a place where you can reasonably assume that young children will be exposed to it.  Like across from a school bus stop.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #21: December 23, 2009, 09:54:50 am »

And if they're actually Christian kids, that makes it even harder ... "No, Jesus is all about loving your neighbor, not whacking Santa".  I mean, can you imagine?

This was one of the first things to strike me when I saw this.  What kind of message is it sending to show a violent Jesus killing Santa?  Kids, don't believe in a benevolent fat man who gives out gifts, instead embrace a gun-toting, murderous messiah? The mind boggles...

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #22: December 23, 2009, 10:03:26 am »

This was one of the first things to strike me when I saw this.  What kind of message is it sending to show a violent Jesus killing Santa?  Kids, don't believe in a benevolent fat man who gives out gifts, instead embrace a gun-toting, murderous messiah? The mind boggles...

I'm a little conflicted about that, because--well, Jesus isn't all love and light and lollipops, anyway.  See:  moneychangers in the Temple; "I come not to bring peace but the sword"; etc.  Jesus handing out divine retribution to something seen as an affront to Him I am not certain is really so horribly out of character.  (I'm sort of glossing over the part where an individual has decided he has the right to speak for what's offensive to Jesus here, though, which offends me on a totally different level.)  I'm not sure a Christmas display like this one is really the best way to introduce that concept to young children, though, regardless.  Wink

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: December 23, 2009, 10:50:38 am »

(with the startling prospect of change on that front)

Wha-what-WHAT?!??!!

(This is far more startling to me than any gun-toting messiah with a red-robed fat man in his crosshairs. I mean, did I miss something in another thread?)

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #24: December 23, 2009, 10:56:59 am »

I was worried that I'd be the only one to find this funny. 

Nope.
It hit my humor center too.
But then my taste of humor is as black as midnight. Wink

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #25: December 23, 2009, 12:01:00 pm »

Nope.
It hit my humor center too.
But then my taste of humor is as black as midnight. Wink

Same here, but then after it hit my humor center it hit my bad taste center when someone pointed out that it was across the street from a school bus stop.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #26: December 23, 2009, 12:02:31 pm »

I'm a little conflicted about that, because--well, Jesus isn't all love and light and lollipops, anyway.  

No, no he isn't, not by a long shot.  To clarify my comments, I was referring to a child's perception of Jesus.  At least in this corner of the world, there aren't a lot of children whose picture of Christ includes gun violence. 

My feelings are mixed from the standpoint that, as an adult with a dark sense of humor, the display does strike me as hilarious.  That said, there are things that are just not appropriate for public areas where children might be present. 

Odjn
Master Member
Last Login:March 09, 2011, 09:12:20 am

Religion: Supreme Skeptic

A dragon has come...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: December 23, 2009, 01:09:57 pm »

http://www.2thedeuce.com/news/kdvr-jesus-shoots-santa-122109,0,97701.story

NIPOMO, Calif. - A lawn display of "Jesus" shooting " Santa Claus" has residents in one San Luis Obispo County area up in arms.

The controversial Christmas display shows a Jesus figure pointing a double-barrel shotgun at a dead Santa figure. Santa's reindeer Rudolph lays sprawled across the hood of a pickup truck nearby.

Heh..I thought it was hilarious myself.I especially loved the reactions. So many people are in the "OMG what about the CHILDREN?" sort of thing.

Why is a gun toting Jesus so bad considering that in the bible Jesus is not sugar and spice at all...anyways I laughed over that one. Warped AND funny..what a winning combination.

Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #28: December 23, 2009, 01:17:08 pm »

Why is a gun toting Jesus so bad considering that in the bible Jesus is not sugar and spice at all...

It's not necessarily bad, it's just not something I really want to have to deal with explaining to my preschooler just because someone thought it would be fun to make a political statement with their holiday display.

I don't mean to be all "OMG, what about the CHILDREN"; I don't really think something like this is going to scar the poor children for life or anything.  It's just frustrating, as a parent, to have this sort situation potentially foisted on you by an inconsiderate neighbor.

It's funny, yes.  That doesn't mean that across the street from a school bus stop is the appropriate place for it.

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #29: December 23, 2009, 01:47:50 pm »

Wha-what-WHAT?!??!!

(This is far more startling to me than any gun-toting messiah with a red-robed fat man in his crosshairs. I mean, did I miss something in another thread?)

yeah, I second this question.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)