The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 21, 2021, 11:03:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2021, 11:03:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Was Your 101 Book?  (Read 39119 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #60: January 18, 2010, 10:08:33 pm »

The very first book I ever read on the subject was Everyday Witchcraft by Delphine C. Lyons. It's one of those little Dell Pocketbooks like you see at the supermarket checkout counters.  Wink

I believe I still have my copy, although I'm not sure where it is exactly (too many books in too many boxes).

I am not embarrassed to list any of them, and I do not warn people against them, though I wouldn't recommend Huson to newbies, as his book is intermediate to advanced.

It's the first book I recommend to someone interested in witchcraft as magic (as opposed to as a religion). It was meant as a book for beginners and I think it does a pretty good job. Although it is not as "friendly" as many beginner books are these days.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Soul Fire
Journeyman
Last Login:February 07, 2011, 01:16:39 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #61: January 19, 2010, 03:26:37 am »

The very first book I ever read on the subject was Everyday Witchcraft by Delphine C. Lyons. It's one of those little Dell Pocketbooks like you see at the supermarket checkout counters.  Wink

Oops, I meant such as you see at supermarket checkout counters... Sorry, I have a tendency to edit my own messages. Tongue
Soul Fire
Journeyman
Last Login:February 07, 2011, 01:16:39 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #62: January 19, 2010, 03:28:57 am »

I believe I still have my copy, although I'm not sure where it is exactly (too many books in too many boxes).

Lucky you; it's rare to find a copy now.

It's the first book I recommend to someone interested in witchcraft as magic (as opposed to as a religion). It was meant as a book for beginners and I think it does a pretty good job. Although it is not as "friendly" as many beginner books are these days.

I love Paul and his book. It's one of my all-time favs. I just think it's a bit advanced for most newbies. I would recommend it to students of Witchcraft vs. Wicca.
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #63: January 19, 2010, 05:20:13 am »

Oops, I meant such as you see at supermarket checkout counters... Sorry, I have a tendency to edit my own messages. Tongue

Heh.  No worries, you're not the only one who does that around here.  Wink

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
Taja
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 02:46:38 pm
Switzerland Switzerland

Religion: Kemetic

Powered by coffee

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: January 19, 2010, 09:49:48 pm »

So, if you started out on your path by reading a book, what was your '101' book, so to speak?
A Silver Ravenwolf book - To Ride A Silver Broomstick, iirc. A while back, I used it for a temporary balance for a chair for few weeks. I'm not embarrassed about reading it, but It's sure as heck time I'll never get back. Lesson learnt; she's useless as a religious author.
SleepyRedGirl
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 04:34:30 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Solitary witch-in-training, Heathen leanings

Always learning - often repeat lessons.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: January 26, 2010, 05:59:38 pm »

So, if you started out on your path by reading a book, what was your '101' book, so to speak?

The first three books came to me before I was seriously seeking, when I was just a wee scrap of a thing hanging around the library and local market. The very first was Warburton's Magiculture; a little hardback compendium of folkish spells and charms with a dash of herbal lore. I was 11 when I found it at the library - the only book on witchcraft in the building, on the shelf hiding the books of vampire lore and paranormal phenomenon - and only read once before it was 'borrowed' never to return. I remember distinctly being glad to confirm that 'a flower is more than a flower'. Herbs could be brewed into potions, blessed in sachets et. al. But once it disappeared, I was back to being ignorant of practical witchcraft.

When I was 13/14, I found $RW's Teen Witch and David Conway's Magic: An Occult Primer. Quite different! Teen Witch I did keep referring to for spellwork matters (not that I cast any...) but the spirituality/practices presented never really spoke to me. As for Conway... I was a little naive, happiest to be simply entertained by the glamour of the higher magical practices. Again, not quite for me.

I started sincerely seeking spirituality January 09, leaning towards Christianity simply because it was familiar, rather than because it appealed to me. I came upon three secondhand books, Witchcraft- and Spells and Rituals for Beginners ( Cheesy) by Teresa Moorey and Charms, Spells and Formulas by Ray Malbrough.

A year later, I'm the proud owner of works by Doreen Valiente, the Farrars, Sybil Leek, Marian Green... Plenty of New-Agey stuff has made it's way onto my shelf too, but at least I know it!

Teen Witch, BTW, was borrowed... Not by a seeker, so I don't reckon I'll bother asking for it back.

Life being short on laughs, I decided to wear a pentacle.

Poppet Maker
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #66: January 27, 2010, 05:16:36 am »

I stumbled upon paganism in the internet and read witchvox articles at first. Then I discovered a reference to TC and witchvox, so I went there. The first real pagan books for me where Drawing down the Moon, Spiral Dance and Higginbotham's Paganism - Introduction into earth-centered religion. I'd recommend them all for beginners and I think I got the first two recommended from TC. The introduction book by the Higginbothams is 101 and doesn't give good infos about the various pagan paths, but it's good to find out what you believe with basic exercieses (writing, mediation etc.).

Before discovering paganism I had read some books about animal guides and the like + anthroposphical stuff, also stuff about Tarot. Wolf-Dieter Storl (a german anthroposophical author) I still highly recommend. The only ones known in English where Irene Dalichow about 'power animals' (can't find the title in English) and Ted Andrews' Animal Speak. They both were 101, but I enjoyed them. Can't say what was in them exactly because I don't remember much of it.

Btw, I've listed most of my pagan book encounters in my blog (look at "The Library")

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
WickedWit
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:October 15, 2013, 10:05:25 pm

Religion: Hellenic Neo-Pagan & UU

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #67: January 27, 2010, 08:51:58 am »

Looking back on it, was it a good beginner book for your path? Would you, or do you, recommend it to people who are just starting out? Why or why not?

I started out learning about paganism from the internet, and fairly quickly found myself subscribed to some old school mailing list discussion groups (TC not among them, unfortunately) that were very active and helped me form a lot of my basic ideas about theology, even though they've morphed and matured a lot since then.

The first honest to goodness pagan book I ever bought/read was To Ride a Silver Broomstick.  It was the first book I saw on the shelf about Wicca in the bookstore. Since I lived in the middle of nowhere, I had decided that this trip to civilization I was going to buy a pagan book (& smuggle it home without my Mom seeing) so I was more interested in what I could find fast than in actually mulling over the options on the shelf.  I think I was 15.  I'm pretty sure the speed at which I was ready to leave the bookstore should have made my mother suspicious something was up. Wink

The first book I read that actually pinged as useful (changed the way I'd been thinking on some things, and gave me the confidence to practice what I was reading about instead of just reading) is Starhawk's Spiral Dance.

WickedWit

"He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe
Bleh, bleh!
Apprentice
Last Login:March 16, 2011, 04:10:33 pm

Religion: Garden or Hedge Witch

Penicillin is nature's condom!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #68: January 27, 2010, 09:45:23 am »

Uh, needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone - unless they're looking for a good laugh.

Hah, that sounds amazing. I would love to find that book. Wonder if there's any chance of it turning up on eBay?

My very first book was Wicca Love Spells by Gerina Dunwich. It wasn't too bad as far as introductions go, but is slightly embarrassing, being LOVE spells and all. I was a silly little 12 year old who'd just moved across the country and just wanted to snag me some mens. I ended up discovering something that really resonated with me, even then. I'm not really doin' the Wicca thang so much anymore, but it sure helped get me through some rough times growing up.

My second book was much more embarrassing and I would not recommend it to other beginners. Teen Witch by Silver. I do admit to using some of the correspondence guides as a jumping off point for exploration but, the rest--it's just obnoxiously written. And it's been too long since I've last sludged through it to really explain why, other than just noting its odiousness.
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #69: January 29, 2010, 01:15:16 pm »

Looking back on it, was it a good beginner book for your path? Would you, or do you, recommend it to people who are just starting out? Why or why not?

Conversely, looking back, are you embarrassed about it, and do you try to avoid mentioning it, or do you warn people away from it? And once again, why or why not?

The book that started me on my path was One River, Many Wells - written by a former Roman Catholic priest who was asked to leave the priesthood because of his unorthodox views about universalism, "deep ecumenism", the Truth in all religions, and his ideas about the Earth. One River is a collection of writings from all different traditions -- It's actually a fabulous book, but not specifically Pagan at all; however: Starhawk was a contributor to it. That was my "bridge" book to Paganism. Smiley My true 101 book was Adler's Drawing Down the Moon, which I would recommend.  Then Earth Power by Cunningham, which I wouldn't recommend, because I personally didn't get anything from it. 

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Lovesdalionking
Master Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:39:44 pm

Religion: Searching Solitary Human Being

You are beautiful, no matter what

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #70: February 03, 2010, 11:49:59 pm »

Conversely, looking back, are you embarrassed about it, and do you try to avoid mentioning it, or do you warn people away from it? And once again, why or why not?

(I know it sounds awkward - I was tempted to ask, "What was your first book on Paganism, Wicca, or the occult?", but not everyone here is on a Pagan path, and I didn't want to exclude anyone, lol).

My first book about Paganism is the book called, "Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions"-Joyce & River Higginbotham.

I'm still not done with it, but I HIGHLY recommend it to beginners. It is my self help guide to paganism and what it means. It asks you questions about your spirituality, what you think of your beliefs now, and few other things.

Again I highly recommend it, it's very logical, not fanatical, and it's rich with facts. Cheesy
noctuary
Apprentice
Last Login:February 07, 2010, 10:50:29 pm

Religion: Satanist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #71: February 04, 2010, 12:45:23 am »

(I know it sounds awkward - I was tempted to ask, "What was your first book on Paganism, Wicca, or the occult?", but not everyone here is on a Pagan path, and I didn't want to exclude anyone, lol).
My 101 book was Lavey's The Satanic Bible.
Was it a good beginner book? Yes. But I had searched through quite a few Non Satanic ones first. The Satanic bible really outlines easily what the religion is all about.
I would recommend it to anyone who is on the same path as common sense. I think once Non Satanists read it, they will find they have more in common with us then they think. Who shouldn't read it? People who are frightened of change. People who are comfortable being conformist. People who are weak of mind. They should skip this book. They won't gleam anything from it. Do I avoid mentioning it? I pretty much avoid talking about my religion with people. It's private. And I am not one to witness. I could care less for your soul or where it goes when Death comes for you. I only really discuss it online as a discussion of religion and not to convert or convince either you nor me.

devils speak of the ways in which she'll manifest
Ilan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 12, 2010, 12:55:41 pm
Israel Israel

Religion: Self Searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #72: February 04, 2010, 01:15:33 am »

Well, I first met the subject of Magic and Paganism on the interet, at the beinning of the 90's, when it was all still UNIX based and just emerging from the BBS world. I think I found a nice resource of a university in Scandinavia somewhere. I remember downloading much information to floppy disks (1.44") and named them "Arcana". I think I still have them somewhere Smiley

But my first true book was "Earth Power" by Scott Cunningham, which I also bought in Sweden (on a family visit there, all the way from Israel). I had a hard time deciding whether to buy it or "Modern Magic" by Don Craig. Becasue the latter sounded a bit intimidating "11 lessons in the High Magical Arts" I decided to start with something which looked more simple, ha-ha. There were also a bunch of books on Wicca at that store, but all had women on the cover and I thought "It is probably not for man".

Quote from: Perzephone

One of the Greatest to start with, I think. Really gave me a serious push, starting with a few simple spells which worked (or seemed to work) and instilled much wonder in me. Back than I was looking for magic, not religion. Later on, looking on the back to the book I saw it classified as "Folklore/Wicca", and that started me on the path of pagan religions. I do recommend it, especially for those who want to feel the magic. Later on, their path will take them onward, but they'll always remember that first spell that worked and gave them the motivation.

Quote from: Perzephone

Not embarrassed at all. Proud of it. After all, I didn't turn up that bad, ey? I even closed a circle - I translated the book to Hebrew for a local Israeli publisher. As much as I know, it didn't go to well in the stores, but it is a problem here - either it should be something totally new-age, or from the far east, or Kabalah. Magic doesn't sell here that good...
-Gwenhwyfar-
Apprentice
Last Login:May 05, 2010, 06:35:38 pm

Religion: good question

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #73: February 10, 2010, 01:21:44 pm »

My first book about Paganism is the book called, "Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions"-Joyce & River Higginbotham.

I'm still not done with it, but I HIGHLY recommend it to beginners. It is my self help guide to paganism and what it means. It asks you questions about your spirituality, what you think of your beliefs now, and few other things.

Again I highly recommend it, it's very logical, not fanatical, and it's rich with facts. Cheesy

That was the first one I read.  Of all the ones I've read or bought, that is the one I keep referring back to.
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #74: February 10, 2010, 03:12:49 pm »

My 101 book was Lavey's The Satanic Bible. (snip)
 Who shouldn't read it? People who are frightened of change. People who are comfortable being conformist. People who are weak of mind.

People who are easily frightened by spooky black books with creepy pents etc on the cover. The name and visual look alone is enough to scare some folks under the covers...... or at least is was in the late seventies when I first read it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.