The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 01:20:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 01:20:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Was Your 101 Book?  (Read 38979 times)
Sand
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 05, 2012, 08:48:18 pm
United States United States

Religion: Soft Deism with Mesoamerican leanings

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #90: April 30, 2011, 08:43:34 pm »

So, if you started out on your path by reading a book, what was your '101' book, so to speak?

If we're going way way WAY back to the first thing that sparked our interest, then it was a book I got when I was probably 7; a beautifully illustrated children's book called The Winged Cat. I found it to be the greatest thing ever, and... wow, in retrospect, I think I actually carried out some play-rituals in my room and backyard, pretending that I was a priestess of Bastet. I guess I was as Kemetic as a solitary 4th grader working from a single picture book and a skimpy book on Egyptian mythology from the school library could get.

Other'n that, it was the Farrar book and Big Blue book, I believe. I was way too young to really understand them, so unfortunately, it took a SRW book to lay it out in terms a 13 year old could understand.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

clearstar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:09:04 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #91: June 23, 2011, 11:05:50 pm »

The first book I read and that was my 101 book was Teen Witch by Raven Silvermoon. I know now that it's not well regarded but it was a good starter book and it got me interested more and more into Wicca.
Nitz
Master Member
Last Login:March 01, 2012, 08:03:19 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Animist Warlock

Aaarf

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #92: June 23, 2011, 11:12:26 pm »

The first book I read and that was my 101 book was Teen Witch by Raven Silvermoon. I know now that it's not well regarded but it was a good starter book and it got me interested more and more into Wicca.

Is that anything like Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #93: June 23, 2011, 11:27:57 pm »

Is that anything like Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

No, I think Teen Witch was a movie where Dick Sargent played a teacher.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
clearstar
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 15, 2011, 11:09:04 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #94: June 24, 2011, 12:15:23 am »

No, I think Teen Witch was a movie where Dick Sargent played a teacher.

It's also a book for teens interested in Wicca. Smiley
SeaShine
Apprentice
Last Login:February 10, 2013, 01:01:17 pm

Religion: Hellenic-ish/ Stoic/Devotee of Poseidon.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #95: June 24, 2011, 12:41:18 am »

So, if you started out on your path by reading a book, what was your '101' book, so to speak?

My first introduction to Wicca, and Paganism in general, was Scott Cunningham's Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner.   That was almost 15 years ago!  How time has flown, and how much I've changed!
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #96: June 24, 2011, 03:06:54 am »

I read George Hart's Egyptian Myths when I was 9, I think.  This really got me interested in Aset/Isis.  The Mysteries of Isis by deTraci Regula was my first 101 book when it came to Isis as worshiped in the modern day.  I would recommend both books today with a caveat on Regula's book that it is about the Isis of Ten Thousand Names and not the Kemetic Aset. 

My first witchcraft book was Teen Witch by Silver Ravenwolf.  I would not recommend this book today. 

Years later, I got back into witchcraft so the other one was Starhawk's essay in WomenSpirit Rising by Carol P Christ which led me to get a copy of The Spiral Dance.  I would recommend both her essay and the book today. 

My first Heathen book was Gods and Myths in Northern Europe by Hilda Ellis-Davidson.  This is an academic book that seems to be recommended as a beginner book in Heathenry and I would recommend it. 

For the Orisa, my first book was Oya: In Praise of an African Goddess by Judith Gleason.  I would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in Oya.

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #97: June 24, 2011, 05:44:20 pm »

My 101 book was a bunch of pages handwritten.  I can't even tell you who wrote it or where it is today but it was the first thing that started me on this pathway with actual written material.  Prior to that it was all vocal and recitation.  That would be about 1971.

The earliest book I can recall reading was something titled The Encyclopedia of Withcraft and Demonology.  Who can forget the Hand of Doom.  That was in the mid to late 70's.

Mostly the early books I read I do not recall title or author any more.  About the only one I do recall and have around the house some place is WICCA: Way of the Witches by Hans Holtzer.  Not the greatest but an interesting read for the period it was written.

Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson was one that was widely read that I recall.  It can be found on-line today as a PDF document though it to is very dated.

Looking back on it, was it a good beginner book for your path? Would you, or do you, recommend it to people who are just starting out? Why or why not?

Considering it was for a family trad, it was of great importance and guidance.  Yet outside of the family probably not so much, except to perhaps give an inside look into folk and Granny practices.

Conversely, looking back, are you embarrassed about it, and do you try to avoid mentioning it, or do you warn people away from it? And once again, why or why not?

The only authors I warn against are really Silver RavenWolf and D.J. Conway.  While I do not endorse it nor competely discourage it , I am leary of Ted Andrews ANIMAL SPEAK.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.