The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 09, 2020, 07:58:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 07:58:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mountain Biking Meditations... Deity in unusual places  (Read 17019 times)
Mandi
Adept Member
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 01:52:13 am
United States United States

Religion: ergghhhmmmmnnnnn....

Did the big meanies break yer speshulness

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 13, 2007, 05:27:29 pm »

Mountain biking is an incredible sort of 'communion' for me.  I get out on the trails, and am amazed by the whirl of butterflies that seem to spin up from the grass to float and tumble along next to me, the deer crashing through the brush and the hawks that soar above, seemingly racing me as I struggle to remain upright and speeding over the ground often at rates that leave me thinking how badly it would hurt were I to be unseated.  An occasional wild turkey startles and confounds. 

I hear my Ladys voice the most clearly at these moments, and direct questions are usually answered in animal omens, or through other signs on the trail.

What kinds of unusual places do you find yourself close to your Gods?

I'm gonna tell my son to join a circus so that death is cheap
And games are just another way of life
And I'm gonna tell my son to be a prophet of mistakes
Because for every truth there are half a million lies
And I'm gonna lock my son up in a tower
Till he learns to let his hair down far enough to climb outside.
-LIz Pahir

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ocelot
Cauldron Council
Senior Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:October 02, 2011, 12:45:59 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 13, 2007, 07:54:57 pm »

Usually for me, the most spiritual place is alone in the woods. Whether it's just a walk or hunting.

In the fall, sitting for hours in a treestand as the first hint of daylight appears, and the woods wake up, is not only amazingly beautiful, it's also a great reflecting time for me.

~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.~<>~

Blog: http://ocelotsden.blogspot.com/
FlameKeeping: http://www.flamekeeping.org/
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 13, 2007, 08:02:51 pm »

Not so unusual, but definitely outside at night when I can watch the stars moving across the sky.

ThtreLady
Journeyman
Last Login:July 20, 2011, 05:49:34 pm

Religion: Celtic Seeker

Blog entries (0)

thtrelady

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 13, 2007, 10:57:06 pm »

Mine is my walk to work in the morning and evening.  It's all streets and hills and pavement - but there are these tiny oasises of beauty along the way that catch my breath.  Like this maple tree that is overgrowing a fence and brushes my hair with its leaves.  Also, right at the top of the stairs by the courthouse when you just get the first sight of the Statue of Liberty.

At night, the hills are really tough to get up and I struggle with them, esp. on night when my knees already hurt.  Talking things out to the gods on the way up distracts me from the pain and I usually find myself very peaceful by the top.  Tired, but peaceful.
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 13, 2007, 11:48:16 pm »

Hilltops and stone formations are the first places that come to my mind.  I feel a heightened awareness there which allows me to connect with the deities.  It is less that the areas are sacred to them, and more that there is, I don't know, . . . a concentration of energy?
violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 14, 2007, 02:26:52 am »

Clubbing. Pounding bass, throbbing strobes, and jacked-up drink prices... ooh. Sacred.
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: May 14, 2007, 06:35:48 am »

Clubbing. Pounding bass, throbbing strobes, and jacked-up drink prices... ooh. Sacred.

Ah, the glories of a mis-spent youth!  I don't do any of that anymore, having neither the opportunity nor the energy, but your response took me back with a yearning so deep it shocked me.

Mostly for me now it's weather.  Overcast days, thunderstorms and pre- and -post storm electricity in the air.  The first 'ice-cream wind' of winter, the damp smell of spring.  These surround me with divinity and make me crackle with power.  When I speak at these times I know the gods not only hear me, but listen to me as well.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 14, 2007, 07:55:56 am »

Wow.  Unexpected, but true. 

-LIz Pahir
Zahirah
Journeyman
Last Login:November 20, 2012, 03:47:07 pm

Religion: Discordian Kemetic Orthodox
TCN ID: zahirah

Famous Last Words: What Duck?

Blog entries (0)

DixieJo719

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 14, 2007, 09:00:14 am »

At the fitness center: I listen to my MP3 player as I am working out, and there comes a point where everything around me just disappears, my body is on auto-pilot with the repetitive motions of the machines and the sounds of the others are droned out by my music.  That's when I can hear the voice of my deity loud and clear, converse with Him easily.  It's the difference between talking with someone on a cell phone with a bad connection, and talking with someone standing right across the room.

In the shower: I dont converse with my deities in the shower, but I do wind up getting smacked with the wildest divine-inspired inspirations.  I've learned to keep a notepad and pencil in the bathroom with me, because I've had to jump out of the shower - stark naked and soaking wet - to write something down before I completely lost it.  It's not on purpose, but sometimes it seems that conditioner in my hair is like an antenna.  I never know what's going to get 'beamed' down to me next.

"If people never did silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein, Austrian philosopher (1889 - 1951)
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 14, 2007, 11:02:14 am »

Used to have a place where I lived before, with a very twisted tree, seemed very wild, hidden and secluded - except it was in the middle of a public park and six feet from a road - you just couldn't tell that if you were standing against the tree or sitting in it Smiley

violentsound
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:15:47 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Witch

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 15, 2007, 12:04:17 pm »

Ah, the glories of a mis-spent youth!  I don't do any of that anymore, having neither the opportunity nor the energy, but your response took me back with a yearning so deep it shocked me.

I am mis-spending as much of it as I've got left! *laughs*

I was talking to a friend online about clubs/musical events as Divine experiences, actually, and we both wondered if the faceless crowd had anything to do with the easy way in which you can slip into a trance state. (We figured that rather obviously a repetitive beat and booze would help too, heh.)
Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 17, 2007, 07:17:48 pm »

LOL  On the riding triplex lawnmower at work (golf course).  I don't do a lot of mowing anymore, but I still have to do some, since the cheapskate greens committee won't approve giving me full-time hours for  the flowerbeds.

The course I work at winds through a lot of wooded areas and borders on a waterway. The route I mow takes me around the entire course in about 4 hours. The combination of the rumbling motor, rhythmic pattern of turns, and just having my hands occupied puts me into a light trance. A few times I've actually had to go back and check to see if I've done a hole, because I was so deep in thought I had no memory of doing it.

Following the same route as the season progresses, I really notice all the small changes in the plants and trees, the quality of the light, the smell of the air, the birds' and animals' mating and nesting cycles. I notice the difference in character of different spots on the course, as well.  There's one corner I call the grove of children, because for some reason I can always sense potential offspring floating around there very strongly. All of the areas down by the canal have a cathedral feeling early in the morning. There is an apple tree that I particularly love; it reminds me so much of my partner: a kind-hearted grump. There is also one valley that is actually about 12 feet below the water level of the canal; I always feel like something is watching me there.

So yeah, I fill my spiritual wells on a lawnmower.

Betty  Smiley

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 17, 2007, 07:21:13 pm »

I really miss that. I haven't gone in about a year, and I don't know most of the crowd anymore.

Betty  Smiley
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 18, 2007, 09:58:07 am »

I was talking to a friend online about clubs/musical events as Divine experiences, actually, and we both wondered if the faceless crowd had anything to do with the easy way in which you can slip into a trance state. (We figured that rather obviously a repetitive beat and booze would help too, heh.)

Also clubs tend to actively work towards creating particular atmospheres, which could help.  For example, there's a gay nightclub in London I went to a few times, and everytime thought 'if I were going to shoot a vampire movie, I would use this as a scene.'

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Mandi
Adept Member

Blog entries (48)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 18, 2007, 11:26:02 am »

Have you heard of Bassnectar before?  They're Dj's out of San Francisco, but they tour and are INCREDIBLE.  They bring their own go-go dancers with them, and everything is uv.  They've got these trippy air wind sock things too that just add to the experience in an incredible way.  Not tho mention they are HAWT!

ONe of their big 'hits' was the one that went *a belly donsah - a snake chahmah*  Rachel Brice danced to it.  lol I can't remember any more to it though. 

http://www.bassnectar.net/homebase.html

-LIz Pahir

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)