The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 13, 2019, 08:59:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2019, 08:59:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice on finding gods and paths  (Read 11799 times)
Osprey
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 03:17:13 pm
United States United States

Religion: becoming heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 28, 2009, 06:43:23 pm »

This is my plea for advice post!  Wink I'm not going to ask "What path should I choose?" because no one can answer that for me, but I am asking for some advice on how to choose, and how to get started.

I first started thinking about paganism back in high school, but it was a very general kind of thinking. It was the realization that the traditional Christian worldview and structures weren't fitting me and trying to fit them was making me miserable. The issue went dormant for a while, but it's stormed back a good deal stronger and a little more focused. I've seen people here refer to being thwapped by a deity, but I'm not so much being thwapped as I am incessantly tugged at, and I don't know who's doing the tugging. I'm pretty sure it's from the Norse or Celtic areas, and I'm also pretty sure it's not just one, either, since there's a definite male and female kind of feel.  Ancestrally speaking, I have both of these cultures in my background, though the Germanic is a bit more prevalent. I think a lot of the smoke will clear if I can figure out who's bugging me.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Being nagged at by gods who feel like playing hide and seek instead of being thwapped by them? Are there any ways for finding out who they are? Any tips on meditation would be nice, too, since I'm not very good at it.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 28, 2009, 07:45:25 pm »

I am asking for some advice on how to choose, and how to get started

Research, research, research.

If you think your pull is coming from a certain geographical region, start there.  Read everything you can get your hands on about the mythology of those areas.  Read about native religions, archeology, art, history, etc.  What often happens is that you'll gradually start to realize that you get a certain feeling when particular name(s) pop up.  So then look more closely at those.

I know many of us here at TC have found our paths with this method.

Good luck!

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #2: December 29, 2009, 12:05:32 pm »

I second what Moon Ivy said.
On my path it's pulling, pushing, tugging and stumbling around all the time.  Cheesy

And as MI said, it might take some time - even years - and then suddenly something important just becomes clear to you and then you're there. *g*

And btw your ancestry does not necessarily control the way your path will lead you.
I'd listen to the tugging feeling. Worked for me.

With meditations I can only give the advice to do it, again and again, it gets easier. The monkey mind will settle and you can open up to receive things. And you might want to pay attention to your dreams, when you start to do researching.

My deities used dreams too, to contact me.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
ramona_christine
Last Login:December 30, 2009, 07:53:04 am

Religion: Pagan
TCN ID: ramona_christine

Dare not to surrender to ignorance and call it God

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 30, 2009, 07:32:34 am »

I also agree that research is the best method.  When it feels right, makes sense, and brings a feeling of serenity to your soul - you will know the correct path for yourself.  Silencing the mind is a challenge, but as stated earlier, it does get easier with practice.

Often times, the challenge is letting go of what we believe through the teachings and influences of others throughout our life.  Stop their words and advice, become silent within yourself and answers will flow inward.  Many blessings and enjoy your journey.

Remember one thing, if it is difficult or you have to struggle to get there - then it is not the right path.  In other words, if it doesn't feel right, life continuously deviates your path, or you have to fight to agree and believe, change your direction.  Be confident in your intuition, the voice within.

Blessings.

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today. (Isaac Asimov)
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #4: December 30, 2009, 08:12:28 am »

Remember one thing, if it is difficult or you have to struggle to get there - then it is not the right path.  In other words, if it doesn't feel right, life continuously deviates your path, or you have to fight to agree and believe, change your direction.  Be confident in your intuition, the voice within.

Not sure that I agree with all this-yes, if you have to fight to believe in something, then it isn't right for you, but no-one ever said that finding your faith was going to be easy. There are always difficulties and obstacles in any path, be it religion or just life, but to me that is what makes it worth acheiving. If something is difficult in life, you can't just say 'oh this is too hard, therefore it must be wrong' and change your mind. Religion is no different. Learning is hard, making decisions can be hard, but your faith gains more the more you give. It can be difficult, but it is worth the difficulties. That is what makes it your faith, and your beliefs. They may not be the same as everyone else's but then again, they don't have to be.  Smiley

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #5: December 30, 2009, 11:44:58 am »

I second this.
Sometimes the right thing, is the difficult and not easy thing to do and to achieve.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. Thatís what people never really understood.Ö.Things had to balance. You couldnít set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #6: December 30, 2009, 12:20:50 pm »

I second this.
Sometimes the right thing, is the difficult and not easy thing to do and to achieve.

That post actually made sense to you?! Gods, colour me stunned! I just read it back to myself and was wondering if someone had been slipping weird things into my cups of tea today  Wink. There must have been an easier way to phrase all that which wouldn't sound quite so pompous and long winded... *giggles*

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: December 30, 2009, 01:06:31 pm »

ramona_christine,

Please remember to quote the post you are replying to (even if it seems obvious to you).  Our rules require posts to include the linkback code, although you are welcome -- and encouraged -- to trim the quote down to the basics of what you're replying to.  If you have any questions about that, just ask.

Thanks!

Moon Ivy
TC Staff

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #8: December 30, 2009, 02:28:38 pm »

That post actually made sense to you?! Gods, colour me stunned! I just read it back to myself and was wondering if someone had been slipping weird things into my cups of tea today  Wink. There must have been an easier way to phrase all that which wouldn't sound quite so pompous and long winded... *giggles*

Maybe we had the same kind of tea today?  Grin

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 31, 2009, 02:40:34 am »

Maybe we had the same kind of tea today?  Grin

Ah, that must be it then... Stop pinching my tea, you cheeky madam you!

Osprey
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 31, 2009, 08:34:04 pm »

I also agree that research is the best method.  When it feels right, makes sense, and brings a feeling of serenity to your soul - you will know the correct path for yourself.  Silencing the mind is a challenge, but as stated earlier, it does get easier with practice.

Often times, the challenge is letting go of what we believe through the teachings and influences of others throughout our life.  Stop their words and advice, become silent within yourself and answers will flow inward. 

I think this is really what's giving me trouble right now. My mind is getting cluttered with all the research, and I don't remember what I'm feeling for. It's also tough since I've never been a really religious or particularly spiritual person in any practical sense. I've been trying to do some soul-searching and come up with what I believe/how I feel about the universe, and all I'm getting are big neon question marks!  Huh It's rather frustrating.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #11: December 31, 2009, 09:35:40 pm »

I've been trying to do some soul-searching and come up with what I believe/how I feel about the universe, and all I'm getting are big neon question marks!  Huh It's rather frustrating.

One thing that I've found is to write things down. Questions I haven't answered, feelings I get when I read something, things that I know I do or don't believe in. No one ever needs to see it but you, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, but writing things down can really help solidify things. When you can articulate what you like or dislike about a religious path, what about belief X regarding the universe resonates with you and what doesn't, it really helps give a sense of direction.

Or at least it helped me! Best of luck.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Osprey
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 05, 2010, 02:36:20 am »

One thing that I've found is to write things down. Questions I haven't answered, feelings I get when I read something, things that I know I do or don't believe in. No one ever needs to see it but you, so it doesn't matter what it looks like, but writing things down can really help solidify things. When you can articulate what you like or dislike about a religious path, what about belief X regarding the universe resonates with you and what doesn't, it really helps give a sense of direction.

Or at least it helped me! Best of luck.

I tried writing some things down a few days ago, and now I'm leaving it alone for a while. I'll come back to it later and see how it goes.

Something else that's sort of bewildered me is that the seeking I'm doing right now grew out of a need for a female divine presence in my life, but I'm getting more of a pull from the men, specifically Cernunnos and Tyr. I have a pretty strong feeling about following the Celtic or the Norse paths, but whenever I research anything, I feel totally overwhelmed, and I don't know if it would be weird to try both and see which one works out. Any of you wiser folk have suggestions for this?
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 05, 2010, 02:57:39 am »

I tried writing some things down a few days ago, and now I'm leaving it alone for a while. I'll come back to it later and see how it goes.

Something else that's sort of bewildered me is that the seeking I'm doing right now grew out of a need for a female divine presence in my life, but I'm getting more of a pull from the men, specifically Cernunnos and Tyr. I have a pretty strong feeling about following the Celtic or the Norse paths, but whenever I research anything, I feel totally overwhelmed, and I don't know if it would be weird to try both and see which one works out. Any of you wiser folk have suggestions for this?

It's pretty standard to be overwhelmed when researching your possibly future-religious standpoint. I mean, here you are, reading about the pantheons of a people that haven't been around in quite some time. Now, here you are, reading about all of this stuff because you have a good feeling that if you read enough of it, your religious path will come out of all of that. So, yes, I think it's pretty normal to be overwhelmed when researching all of this. Take a deep breath and take it easy--don't panic about it.

Now, unfortunately, I don't have any advice and I haven't found a flashing neon sign for you that says, "Osprey, do this!" If I do, I will definitely let you know. In the mean time, let me ask you: when you were a child, which ancient religion did you have a deep affinity for? Was it both Norse and Celtic, or did one always feel just a little greater than the other? I only ask because it was as a child, for me, that I realized (without knowing it at the time) what arena I was going to be heading in later on in life. On that note...

Maybe you're reading things that are too dry and that's why you're being overwhelmed? What I suggest is that you should head to your local library and find a children's book of mythology. (You can take a compilation book of all forms of mythology or ones that are specific to what you are looking into, but I think you should have a compilation.) Take it home, read it at your leisure, and something may hit you in the face.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Osprey
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 05, 2010, 08:16:20 pm »

In the mean time, let me ask you: when you were a child, which ancient religion did you have a deep affinity for? Was it both Norse and Celtic, or did one always feel just a little greater than the other? I only ask because it was as a child, for me, that I realized (without knowing it at the time) what arena I was going to be heading in later on in life. On that note...

Maybe you're reading things that are too dry and that's why you're being overwhelmed? What I suggest is that you should head to your local library and find a children's book of mythology. (You can take a compilation book of all forms of mythology or ones that are specific to what you are looking into, but I think you should have a compilation.) Take it home, read it at your leisure, and something may hit you in the face.

I never had any exposure to the Norse myths as a child. I didn't hear about them until middle school when we read Beowulf. I remember finding it fascinating, but I didn't really look into it. I was very drawn to the British Isles as a child, and pretty much anything Celtic still draws me like candy stores draw kids, but...there's something about Celtic Recon that doesn't sit right with me. I feel comfortable with pretty much everything in Asatru, except for seidr magic.

A good friend of mine suggested I look through world mythology books and just look at the pictures without reading until one makes me stop. I think I'll try it.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)