The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 25, 2022, 11:49:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2022, 11:49:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice on finding gods and paths  (Read 16188 times)
Osprey
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 03:17:13 pm
United States United States

Religion: becoming heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #45: January 16, 2010, 10:12:23 pm »

More UPG for you: while there are definite differences between the different types of Celtic and Norse religions (British vs. Irish and Germanic vs. Icelandic, f'ex), I've always felt that those two cultures were more compatible than, say, Norse and Egyptian. I'm also certain that I've come across various Wiccan and syncretic Pagan groups that have attempted to bring together aspects of both cultures under one religion. To the Google machine!

I have a sense of this too, and historically it makes a bit of sense. There was a good deal of cultural mixing going on between the Scandinavian peoples and the Celtic peoples, and I have a hard time believing that the gods would be angered by sharing devotees because of it.

So what sort of rituals would someone use for a system like this?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #46: January 16, 2010, 11:25:04 pm »

I'm thinking Britain. I just don't feel much from the Irish crowd.

Sorry -- just to clarify:  Are you looking for the names of British gods?  Any particular attributes?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Osprey
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #47: January 16, 2010, 11:59:52 pm »

Sorry -- just to clarify:  Are you looking for the names of British gods?  Any particular attributes?

Yes.  Grin

Anything and everything I can learn would be fantastic, and so would any advice I can get.
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #48: January 17, 2010, 12:10:30 am »

Yes.  Grin

Anything and everything I can learn would be fantastic, and so would any advice I can get.

...does the Doctor count as a British god? Cheesy;; *scuttles away*

When I think British mythology, I think of Arthur, Merlin, the Round Table, and Morgan le Fey. An initial searching of Wikipedia is being extraordinarily unhelpful in giving me anything other than that. B|

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #49: January 17, 2010, 12:13:29 am »

Nobody can tell you which gods to worship.  So, my best advise is to start reading.  As you go, you'll probably start to feel a "pull" toward certain god/desses. 

Start with the British-focused books on the Celtic reconstructionist reading lists:
http://www.paganachd.com/faq/readinglist.html
http://www.imbas.org/imbas/readlist.html

Specifically, I'd suggest Hutton's and Davidson's books, especially Hutton's The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles, and Davidson's The Lost Beliefs of Northern Europe and Myths and Symbols in Pagan Europe.  They can be a bit academic (that is, dry), but they're excellent and well-respected.  I also have a soft-spot for Miranda Green's work -- particularly her work on Celtic goddesses -- but I can't remember if she deals with Britain or not. (Also, you'll read that some people have reservations about her work because she writes about Celtic solar gods, for which the evidence is less than solid.  So take that part with a grain of salt.)

Hope that helps.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #50: January 17, 2010, 01:04:57 am »

I'm thinking Britain. I just don't feel much from the Irish crowd.

Would looking into the deities of the Anglo-Saxons help?   

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Osprey
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #51: January 17, 2010, 02:04:38 am »

Would looking into the deities of the Anglo-Saxons help?   

Possibly. I've done a bit of looking, and it seems like they followed slightly modified versions of the Norse gods, with a few exceptions. It's all very confusing.

Nobody can tell you which gods to worship.  So, my best advise is to start reading.  As you go, you'll probably start to feel a "pull" toward certain god/desses. 

What I've started noticing is that I feel hardly anything when I'm trying to research.( I did get something of a jolt from reading a description of Freya from the Prose Edda, though. But even then, I had randomly turned to the page.) I usually feel things when I least expect it. For example, I think I had a sort of "Oh..hi" moment a few days ago. I was pondering an idea for a play I have to write for class that would focus on war letters, and I had a sense of a man standing in an endless cemetary. It was a very melancholy scene, and I realized that I was looking at Tyr. He really wasn't the one I expected when I started all this. I mentioned this to my Asatru friend, and he was a bit surprised, as well, but I think he's the one I have the strongest connection to right now. I'm not quite sure about how to honor this, though, since there doesn't seem to be much lore on him beyond the Fenris story.
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #52: January 17, 2010, 08:28:00 am »

...does the Doctor count as a British god? Cheesy;; *scuttles away*

Oh hell yes! Gimme gimme!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #53: January 17, 2010, 02:10:54 pm »

Oh hell yes! Gimme gimme!

*whistles as she starts compiling all her hymns she's written to the Doctor* I love the fact chaos magic gives me the excuse to worship fictional characters. XD

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #54: January 18, 2010, 12:15:36 am »

When I think British mythology, I think of Arthur, Merlin, the Round Table, and Morgan le Fey. An initial searching of Wikipedia is being extraordinarily unhelpful in giving me anything other than that.

I haven't read this anywhere else, but Charles Squire in his Celtic Myth and Legend talks about the Gods as King Arthur's Knights. I've listed some of the correspondences he claims:

Pwyll - Sir Pelias and and Pelles
Arawn - Anguish or Anguissance (Squire calls these corruptions of his name)
Belinus - Balin
Pryderi - Keeper of the Grail, Pellam
Gwyn son of Nudd - 3 names: Sir Gwinas, Sir Guynas, and Sir Gwenbaus
Melwas - Sir Melias and Sir Meliagraunce
Lludd - King Loth, or Lot of Orkney
Lleu Llaw Gyffes - Sir Gawain (Gwalchmei)
Dylan - Sir Mordred (or Medrawt)
Emrys/Myrddin - King Bors (Emrys) and Merlin (Myrddin)
Bran - King Ban of Benwick or Balan
Rhiannon - Nimue/Vivien (Lady of the Lake, essentially)
Elen - appears as 5 different "Elaines"
Arianrod - wife of King Lot
Gwydion - King Arthur

Like I said, I haven't read of these associations anywhere else, and I haven't confirmed Squire's authority. He's not listed in the CR reading list as either a recommended or an "avoid-at-all-costs." The text to which I'm referring is dated 1975. Also, the writing is not the clearest and it's very possible that I'm misreading/misinterpreting these associations.

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)