The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 15, 2019, 03:58:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2019, 03:58:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dedications, Professions, Oaths, Oh My!  (Read 14844 times)
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 13, 2019, 02:34:46 pm
United States United States

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #60: January 07, 2010, 07:05:53 am »

Do marriage laws in the US vary from state to state, or is this difference between common and civil law a federal one?

There is some variation state to state. And more importantly, one of the things that varies state to state has to do with things like access to intensive care units in hospital, ability to make major medical decisions without a lot of time consuming proof, or legal issues relating to inheritance if one partner dies (especially around housing or if the deceased partner's family disapproves of the relationship).

And this is true even if it's a state you don't live in: There's a story about a recent issue in Florida that's heartbreaking: one woman collapsed while on vacation, and her partner (and their adopted children) were barred from visiting her for an extended period of time, even though they had appropriate legal backing (medical power of attorney, etc.) Their home state would have reliably provided better access, probably, but Florida's laws are different. There's a story in the New York Times here (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/health/19well.html) that talks about it, and note that the 5th paragraph points out that these issues affect anyone who isn't legally married. (You may need to register for the New York Times to read the story: I'm not sure.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #61: January 07, 2010, 07:22:04 am »

Do marriage laws in the US vary from state to state, or is this difference between common and civil law a federal one?

Not only do they vary from state to state, but in a lot of places, common-law relationships are disappearing as a legal status.

I know, because I was looking into it here with my husband just to see if we were already legally "married" before we got around to the official thing.  And it HAD existed, but they got rid of it.

So ......

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #62: January 07, 2010, 10:24:09 am »

Not only do they vary from state to state, but in a lot of places, common-law relationships are disappearing as a legal status.

I know, because I was looking into it here with my husband just to see if we were already legally "married" before we got around to the official thing.  And it HAD existed, but they got rid of it.

So ......

I can see that making a big difference in the decisions you make.  I am my husband's legal representative in medical matters - that information is one of the things that comes up when they scan our health cards.  My sister had the same rights and responsibilities regarding her husband as my father did for my mother.  I suppose it is one of the things to look into if we ever travel outside the country, given the story Jennet posted.

I don't think common law is in any danger of disappearing here.  Most of the civil weddings I've been to in the last many years have been 'confirmation' weddings, held on the couple's common law anniversary (to avoid confusion) and often having the couples' children as part of the wedding party.  I've been to a few religious confirmation weddings as well.  Different people find different levels of ceremony satisfying, but the legal impact pretty much is the same. 

Religious oaths are only binding in  the religious community, which is currently causing a b-i-l of mine some problems, since his non-Mennonite ex-wife has moved on  and he is not allowed to by his religion and community - he simply has an absent wife the way they see it.  If he breaks his oath just because she did he will face a whole lot of disapproval and censure.  (That's why, while I might consider a civil contract if I found a need, I would not marry my Mennonite husband in a religious ceremony.  We've been together for 15 years and don't foresee any changes, but just having that restriction could cause problems for me, silly as that might sound).

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #63: January 07, 2010, 10:26:16 am »

There is some variation state to state. And more importantly, one of the things that varies state to state has to do with things like access to intensive care units in hospital, ability to make major medical decisions without a lot of time consuming proof, or legal issues relating to inheritance if one partner dies (especially around housing or if the deceased partner's family disapproves of the relationship).

And this is true even if it's a state you don't live in: There's a story about a recent issue in Florida that's heartbreaking: one woman collapsed while on vacation, and her partner (and their adopted children) were barred from visiting her for an extended period of time, even though they had appropriate legal backing (medical power of attorney, etc.) Their home state would have reliably provided better access, probably, but Florida's laws are different. There's a story in the New York Times here (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/health/19well.html) that talks about it, and note that the 5th paragraph points out that these issues affect anyone who isn't legally married. (You may need to register for the New York Times to read the story: I'm not sure.)

Ah, well, there is a good enough reason to almost drop the common law plan. We do enjoy travel, so that would be awful to go through something like that. Seriously, some people and plaves are just ridiculous. I mean, even non-relatives are usually allowed to visit a friend where I live (except for births and maybe infectious diseases).

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #64: January 07, 2010, 01:19:52 pm »

Ah, well, there is a good enough reason to almost drop the common law plan. We do enjoy travel, so that would be awful to go through something like that. Seriously, some people and plaves are just ridiculous. I mean, even non-relatives are usually allowed to visit a friend where I live (except for births and maybe infectious diseases).

icu's are different than most hospital wards, just a note.  And that hospital was definitely in the wrong.  The sister should not have been told a thing without the permission of the POA.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #65: January 13, 2010, 03:24:45 pm »

• More specifically, I'm somewhat interested in if anyone has dedicated to a specific path or religion, rather than a specific god/dess as appears more common on TC. (I'm thinking more like an Asatru profession or Christian confirmation.) How did you come to that decision? If you like, feel free to share what you did or what that entailed.

I have a ritual in my first Book of Shadows titled "Acknowledgement and Beginning". This was basically acknowledging what had come before me coming back to magic, and beginning seeking my path. In a way, it was a self-dedication to my seeking, and I'm really proud of myself that I acknowledged what came before, and didn't try to cut it off.

A year after I admitted to myself that I was pagan, I did a self-dedication/rededication to my evolving path. I'm thinking of doing something similar this year on the Summer Solstice, which will mark 5 years since I became pagan.

A lot of what's really important to me I describe as a "choice made day by day", and I don't want to bind my will with a formal oath in these contexts. My gods don't expect dedications from me, although They are very important to me. Part of this probably is related to the fact that I don't have a single patron, but a number of deities I am devoted too.

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #66: January 13, 2010, 06:23:07 pm »

I have a ritual in my first Book of Shadows titled "Acknowledgement and Beginning". This was basically acknowledging what had come before me coming back to magic, and beginning seeking my path. In a way, it was a self-dedication to my seeking, and I'm really proud of myself that I acknowledged what came before, and didn't try to cut it off.
I like this attitude... recognizing everything that came before to land you where you're at now. Smiley Very cool, and I think a great way to ground an oath, especially one to a path rather than a specific deity. It seems appropriately wyrd-conscious.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)