The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 15, 2021, 04:35:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2021, 04:35:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Working With Clay?  (Read 4890 times)
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm
United States United States

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 28, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »

I've been recently inspired to try my hand at making a pendant with Precious Metal Clay. I am not, however, much of an artist, and I'd like to practice my sculpting and carving on some clay that is decidedly less expensive. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with PMC, and could recommend a non PMC clay that is similar (length of time it stays malleable, etc)?

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #1: December 29, 2009, 10:27:59 am »

I've been recently inspired to try my hand at making a pendant with Precious Metal Clay. I am not, however, much of an artist, and I'd like to practice my sculpting and carving on some clay that is decidedly less expensive. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with PMC, and could recommend a non PMC clay that is similar (length of time it stays malleable, etc)?

I've heard about something similiar to polymer clay but made from silver.
Never worked with it though. (There was a workshop I couldn't attend Sad)

But you could do test runs with polymer clay I guess.
What I was told, it's supposed to be about the same structure.

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: December 30, 2009, 02:32:49 am »

I've been recently inspired to try my hand at making a pendant with Precious Metal Clay.

Ooooooo, PMC!  I've been wanting to try that, too.

I can't answer your question, or give you any advice at all, but I just wanted to chime in to say I'm interested in how it goes for you.  How are you planning to fire it?  I know there are a couple of different ways.

Do you have a design for your pendant in mind?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 30, 2009, 12:43:28 pm »

Ooooooo, PMC!  I've been wanting to try that, too.

I can't answer your question, or give you any advice at all, but I just wanted to chime in to say I'm interested in how it goes for you.  How are you planning to fire it?  I know there are a couple of different ways.

Do you have a design for your pendant in mind?

I'm still working a lot of the details out; depending on the size of it, I will probably be buying a Microkiln and doing it at home. I'm also considering just going with a butane torch. I do have the option of going to a studio, paying for bench time and having it fired in their kiln, but it's a good drive from me, and I think you have to buy your supplies from them too, so it would be pretty big expense.

I have a general idea for the design: a skeleton key. I actually got the idea when I was looking at your commissioned pendant- it sort of lodged in the back of my brain and then sprung to mind a while later as the symbol of my path. I still have to work out the actual design; I have a few ideas, but as a total newbie to clay working, I'm going to have to practice and play before I figure out what I can viably make in that medium.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: December 30, 2009, 01:01:26 pm »

a skeleton key

Interesting!

Care to expand more on the specific meaning to you?

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #5: December 30, 2009, 01:32:20 pm »

Interesting!

Care to expand more on the specific meaning to you?

The actual design part does have a specific meaning- mine will have a rectangular tooth on one side, and two smaller teeth on the other side, representing the role of the gods, the spirits and the dead in my path.

The key's symbolism itself: keys change things. They unlock what was hidden, and to me they represent the ability to cross thresholds but also those liminal thresholds themselves. They serve as a reminder that there is something else beyond what is readily accessible and known. For me, the Path of Mist is my key; the practices and structure are a key to the gods, the spirits, the dead. It allows me to interact in a way that I could not before.

Does that make sense?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #6: December 30, 2009, 02:46:13 pm »

Does that make sense?

Yes, definitely.

I really like the symbolism you're working with.  I find symbols to be incredibly powerful, especially the ones that are unique to specific people.

Will the other end of the key have any symbolism or particular design?

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: December 30, 2009, 02:56:58 pm »

I really like the symbolism you're working with.  I find symbols to be incredibly powerful, especially the ones that are unique to specific people.

Will the other end of the key have any symbolism or particular design?

Thanks. I do as well, but I don't have very many symbols that resonate with me on a deep level. This one just kind of smacked me upside the head and I went, 'oh, wow, okay'.

I haven't decided yet. When I was sketching, I looked at a lot of skeleton keys for sale on etsy for inspiration and I found one in particular that was so simple and unadorned that I really liked it; I found another that was the complete opposite, very ornate, and really liked it too. I feel like it should have meaning, but I haven't figured out what that meaning is, yet.

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: December 30, 2009, 03:04:32 pm »

I feel like it should have meaning, but I haven't figured out what that meaning is, yet.

If the teeth end represents the gods, spirits, and ancestors, maybe the other end should represent you somehow?  Either as you are now or as you hope to become?

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: December 30, 2009, 03:50:16 pm »

If the teeth end represents the gods, spirits, and ancestors, maybe the other end should represent you somehow?  Either as you are now or as you hope to become?

That's a really good idea, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! I don't really have any symbols that I associate with me, so I'll have to do some thinking.

erinnightwalker
Master Member
Last Login:October 04, 2012, 12:59:41 am

Religion: Celtic Paganism

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: December 30, 2009, 03:51:43 pm »

I'm still working a lot of the details out; depending on the size of it, I will probably be buying a Microkiln and doing it at home. I'm also considering just going with a butane torch. I do have the option of going to a studio, paying for bench time and having it fired in their kiln, but it's a good drive from me, and I think you have to buy your supplies from them too, so it would be pretty big expense.

I have a general idea for the design: a skeleton key. I actually got the idea when I was looking at your commissioned pendant- it sort of lodged in the back of my brain and then sprung to mind a while later as the symbol of my path. I still have to work out the actual design; I have a few ideas, but as a total newbie to clay working, I'm going to have to practice and play before I figure out what I can viably make in that medium.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/artclay.asp?navsrc=2

they have how to videos, selling the actual stuff, as well as the ways to bake it. i think they have both gold and silver clays too. i'd go with the torch if the piece is small enough. the kiln is better if it is large enough that the clay/metal would cool down significantly as its being torched. personally, i think the kiln is best all around, but the torch is usable. you might try talking to someone who has a kiln (like a ceramics teacher) and see if they'll pop it in one of their batches. it fires at 650ºC/1200ºF, so you are looking for an overglaze/china painting fire, or basically anything from cones 018-020 (preferably 019 or 020. 019 is just over 1200, 020 just under). you will definitely need to test a small piece first to see if it runs, and will definitely need a bisque-fired plate to put the test and the final key on, just in case it runs/melts, or worse. it helps make the teachers more amenable to experiments if the kiln shelves don't get screwed up. who knows, you might even get them to try something new, or at least offer it Smiley

more good sites-

http://www.artclaysilversa.com/hosting/acs/home.nsf/1b49cba002025d52c12569a30073b6bb/0386d7a3e553d3f98025720c005e64f9/$FILE/ACS650SlowDryClay.pdf<---tell you whats actually in the clay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WdF8PiHUeY<---moldmaking, in case you want to make some texture on your key

New at the Nightwalking Hedgehog- Updates and General Shit with revealing new photo.

I dance upon the edge of shadow
flickering through the night.
An ember smouldering in my heart
is my only guide, my light.

Come buy my ceramics and help support The Cauldron! Click Here
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: December 30, 2009, 09:24:45 pm »

I don't really have any symbols that I associate with me, so I'll have to do some thinking.

I know what you mean.

One way I think about it is kinda what would be symbolic of me relative to deity. F'ex, the harp that Brighid might play.  Or Finn might suggest the lantern that houses Brighid's flame.

What doesn't work for me is something related to my mundane life, like my initials or birth date.

I'll be really interested in seeing what you come up with, if you want to share.

Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #12: December 30, 2009, 09:31:25 pm »

I know what you mean.

One way I think about it is kinda what would be symbolic of me relative to deity. F'ex, the harp that Brighid might play.  Or Finn might suggest the lantern that houses Brighid's flame.

What doesn't work for me is something related to my mundane life, like my initials or birth date.

I'll be really interested in seeing what you come up with, if you want to share.

I'm toying with including a star; I have always been fascinated by the stars, and some of my best memories are on starry nights. I'm also thinking about white lilies, they're kind of "my" flower. Unfortunately, I can't really go relative to deity, because there are simply too many of them to incorporate in such a small space. Undecided

Maybe three lilies, with a star in the center? It's growing on me. Of course, this is all dependent on my ability to make it reality! And I'm not much of an artist. Cheesy I guess we'll see.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)