The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 16, 2018, 07:45:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 16, 2018, 07:45:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vodou (voodoo) and Lwa  (Read 3476 times)
Caedo
Apprentice
Last Login:February 12, 2011, 04:12:30 pm
United States United States

Religion: Animist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 29, 2009, 01:59:36 pm »

Does anyone here, specifically those who do NOT consider themselves members of a vodou tradition, have personal experience with the lwa?  I am not a vodouisant, and I don't intend to become one.  Nevertheless, I have recently experienced some things that (to me) strongly suggest one of the lwa is actively and inexplicably interested in me, a possibility that makes me a tad bit uncomfortable.  Anyway, I was wondering if there were any non-vodouisants here who have worked with lwa and how their presence has affected your religious practices.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #1: December 29, 2009, 02:53:26 pm »

Does anyone here, specifically those who do NOT consider themselves members of a Vodou tradition, have personal experience with the lwa? 

I don't know if I count or not for this, but I consider myself a student of Vodou, mainly because I cannot dedicate myself fully to the religion itself. I have had numerous interactions with the lwa and some of the Santerian orisha, mainly the Guedde, but also Damballah and Ayida-Wedo, Papa Legba/Eleggua, Oya and Yemaya.

In my experiences, if you aren't interested in being the object of a lwa or orisha's attentions, you can usually request that they leave you alone. Just be honest with them (and yourself). They can be pushy and somewhat intimidating, but if you're firm and direct, they'll usually respect your wishes.

Caedo
Apprentice
Last Login:February 12, 2011, 04:12:30 pm

Religion: Animist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: December 29, 2009, 04:55:12 pm »

In my experiences, if you aren't interested in being the object of a lwa or orisha's attentions, you can usually request that they leave you alone. Just be honest with them (and yourself). They can be pushy and somewhat intimidating, but if you're firm and direct, they'll usually respect your wishes.

Ezili Danto is the one that I think might be lurking at the edges of my life.  I'd be more than happy to have her there if Vodou was a path I felt I could follow.  That's why I am curious if any non-vodouisants have relationships with lwa and what forms those relationships take.  I wouldn't turn down the chance to have Danto watching over me, but I just don't see what I could possibly offer in return.
Perzephone
Master Member
Last Login:February 26, 2010, 01:55:04 am

Religion: Unorthodox Pagan

Quantum Paganism for a New Millenium

Blog entries (0)

perzephone

Ignore
« Reply #3: December 29, 2009, 06:20:47 pm »

Ezili Danto is the one that I think might be lurking at the edges of my life.  I'd be more than happy to have her there if Vodou was a path I felt I could follow.  That's why I am curious if any non-vodouisants have relationships with lwa and what forms those relationships take.  I wouldn't turn down the chance to have Danto watching over me, but I just don't see what I could possibly offer in return.

If you want to pursue the relationship, you can always set up an altar for her, dress it up with some of her favorite things, make an offering and open up a dialogue. If there are any shops in your area that cater to Vodou or Santeria, it might be a good idea to maybe get a reading, just to make sure that is Ezili who is seeking your attention.

I know from my own experiences, though... and those of people I've met... once you open the door to one lwa or one orisha, more tend to crowd in. They can be demanding of your time and energy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be overwhelming. It's almost like over the past ten years or so, the lwa have been clamoring for more attention in general. They seem to be popping up in more pop culture, peeking around the peripheries of the general populations' awareness, and more and more 'modern white folks' are feeling their touch & hearing their voices.

Part of the reason why I'm an eternal student & not a full adherent is because working with the lwa is such a direct experience. They aren't content to sit back and be worshipped from afar - they get involved with your life, and the lives of people around you. It can be very exciting and fulfilling, especially for people who have more distant relationships with their deities, but the lwa also expect the same involvement from their earthly children in return.

Winter_Witch
Apprentice
Last Login:March 01, 2010, 01:29:59 pm

Religion: Wiccan

I Believe

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 10, 2010, 12:05:31 pm »

Does anyone here, specifically those who do NOT consider themselves members of a vodou tradition, have personal experience with the lwa?  I am not a vodouisant, and I don't intend to become one.  Nevertheless, I have recently experienced some things that (to me) strongly suggest one of the lwa is actively and inexplicably interested in me, a possibility that makes me a tad bit uncomfortable.  Anyway, I was wondering if there were any non-vodouisants here who have worked with lwa and how their presence has affected your religious practices.

This is a very interesting conversation.  I am fascinated with Vodou and have a book on it.  However, the author gets a little cocky here and there and emphasizes that you MUST be a member of an actual group of practitioners, etc.  That kind of puts me off.  I know that it shouldn't, as religion/deity is very "personal" and a one-on-one situation. 
RedLori
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 12:08:16 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Learner Eclectic Witch
TCN ID: redlori

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 22, 2010, 12:07:02 pm »

First off, I'm sorry for gravedigging this thread thats not been active since january.  However, what the point to start a new one on identical kind of theme hey? Smiley  so I hope that's ok.

I was wondering what/where are good resources on Vodou.  I'm thoroughly curious, but also (being a bit of a tightwad, naturally!) not wanting to spend a huge amount of money on a nice thick glossy book, good as it maybe, I wondered if there are any 'introductory' books on the subject, and/or any reputable sites (since it is so difficult to separate wheat from chaff, and on this site people seem pretty knowledgable about what are good resources and what are just so much fluff). Smiley

anyway if anyone is able to shed any light I would be most grateful! 

(formerly ladykarina)
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: March 22, 2010, 01:20:16 pm »

anyway if anyone is able to shed any light I would be most grateful! 

Mama Lola by Karen Brown is good as an introduction to the lwa and Haitian Vodou. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
RedLori
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 18, 2011, 12:08:16 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Learner Eclectic Witch
TCN ID: redlori

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: March 26, 2010, 12:52:55 pm »

Mama Lola by Karen Brown is good as an introduction to the lwa and Haitian Vodou. 

Thank you SatAset!
Smiley

(formerly ladykarina)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)