The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 01, 2020, 01:18:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2020, 01:18:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Innate Rituals  (Read 2451 times)
Zoni
Senior Newbie
Last Login:December 30, 2009, 02:03:40 am
United States United States

Religion: Norse (Non-Asatru)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: December 29, 2009, 10:11:42 pm »

With all of the discussion on structured rituals and ceremonies, I was actually wondering how many here practice innate or instinctual rituals. Performing prayers, rituals, dances, etc. by whatever comes naturally, rather than following a prescribed or planned "script" as you will. I use rituals in a large part of my worship, but I often find the instinctual rituals to be more fulfilling, for some reason. What do you typically do when you perform one of these rituals? Why do you do these?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: December 30, 2009, 02:12:11 am »

how many here practice innate or instinctual rituals.

I guess I use the term "ritual" pretty loosely.  I have my evening "devotional", which consists of lighting my oil lamp and saying a very brief prayer.  Sometimes, when I have some kind of special need or something, the prayer turns into a little chat.   Smiley  And I almost always say a quick prayer and do a little visualization meditation when I board an airplane. 

And I have a few specific things I do to celebrate Imbolc, which I suppose can be counted as rituals.

That's pretty much all I do that's actually planned.  Everything else is spontaneous.  When the urge hits, I'll make offerings, sometimes inside and sometimes outside, usually accompanied by a brief prayer of some sort.  The offerings vary a lot.  Often I use flame, lighting candles or more lamps.  Sometimes I use food or drink.  Sometimes money, which I "offer" by donating to a couple of specific charities.  When I feel the need, I pray -- or, rather, talk to Brighid and then "listen" for Her response.  Very occasionally, I'll use divination within a ritual context, but I haven't felt up to that lately.

So, yeah, not so structured.  That's the "feral" part of my path, I guess.   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Lazlo
Last Login:January 30, 2010, 09:56:49 am

Religion: Pagan, Hellenistic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 24, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »

I often find the instinctual rituals to be more fulfilling, for some reason.

I agree. I enjoy creating a spontaneous ritual in the forest when the moon is just right
Or a impromptu blessing before a long trip.
We enjoy a simple free form ritual or dance to enhance our spirituality

There's never a bad time to acknowledge the gods.
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 25, 2010, 01:23:14 am »

With all of the discussion on structured rituals and ceremonies, I was actually wondering how many here practice innate or instinctual rituals. Performing prayers, rituals, dances, etc. by whatever comes naturally, rather than following a prescribed or planned "script" as you will. I use rituals in a large part of my worship, but I often find the instinctual rituals to be more fulfilling, for some reason. What do you typically do when you perform one of these rituals? Why do you do these?

Instinctual rituals are pretty much par for the course with me. The only ritual that is ever planned ahead of time is at Samhain. Other than that they are spur of the moment. Because I am solitary, I don't need to plan anything out, I can just do what I feel is needed at the time. The Samhain ritual is only planned upto a point. The people, place and ritual tools that will be required are sorted well in advance as it is the only ritual I do with others. The ritual itself, the words, blessings, dedications etc is all done 'off the cuff'. It is a lot more meaningful for all concerned that way (or at least it is with the group I share this ritual with).

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
AmberHeart
Journeyman
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 07:38:17 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Dianic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 25, 2010, 07:02:02 am »

Spontaneous or instinctive ritual is one of the core practices of Dianic Paganism although the Tradition I follow tends to frame such within a more structured framework (daily, calandarized).

Kitchen Witchcraft is also often instinctive, using anything that comes to hand as tools and necessity as the reason.

Amber
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 25, 2010, 11:15:36 am »

I'm still relatively new to the whole thing (only a year now), but I've found that the innate rituals I do, combined with prayer and the occasional offering, work the best. I think these may work better for me than prescribed rituals because there's more honesty and devotion flowing through me when I'm partaking in my own rites. I've been trying to find structured rituals and ceremonies, mostly to increase my own knowledge with the community, and maybe learn some things for my own practices.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 26, 2010, 02:04:53 pm »

With all of the discussion on structured rituals and ceremonies, I was actually wondering how many here practice innate or instinctual rituals.

I do different kinds of rituals. Sometimes I do ceremonial magic rituals, which are very structured. Sometimes I do NeoWiccan or Feri rituals with a basic structure, but some parts like Deity invocations and/or quarter calls improvised. I've done an entirely "scripted" NeoWiccan ritual before too. Sometimes I'll make up a new structure or just "bust out" with no structure at all. Sometimes I'll string together smaller rituals improvisationally.

I like improvisational ritual a lot. It can be harder with multiple people involved, but also really neat when it comes together.

I've been doing a lot of ecstatic dance lately, which is freeform, although generally to a playlist I pick out beforehand.

Bleh, bleh!
Apprentice
Last Login:March 16, 2011, 04:10:33 pm

Religion: Garden or Hedge Witch

Penicillin is nature's condom!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 26, 2010, 05:36:22 pm »

Performing prayers, rituals, dances...What do you typically do when you perform one of these rituals? Why do you do these?

I often perform innate rituals, and I also like to work within the context of a loosely structured ritual. Generally this takes the form of wild, joyous dancing, singing, or musical flows, none of which are really planned. But I will frequently incorporate at least a few planned aspects like candles, stones, invocations and so forth.

Drumming is one of my favorite ways to do trance work which I consider to be an innate ritual. I also tend to take as many random moments I can whenever I'm outside somewhere breathtaking (which includes many places!) to commune and open myself to the natural channels.
manwitch
Senior Newbie
Last Login:February 10, 2010, 08:20:05 am

Religion: Brighideach Greenwitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 30, 2010, 10:12:22 pm »

I was actually wondering how many here practice innate or instinctual rituals.

I sometimes perform loosely structured rituals during the full moons and a few of the sabats, especially Imbolc, but for the most part it's instinctual.  Every morning and evening, or whenever I get up and before I go to bed (I keep strange hours sometimes since my circadian rhythm is more in line with the moon than the sun, especially during the waxing moon), I light one or more candles on Brighid's shrine and use my prayer beads with my dedications and devotionals to her, usually followed by normal conversational prayer which usually isn't planned unless I need to discuss something with her.

I usually make offerings to Brighid, which usually is in the form of food to the animals outdoors, or I'll ask Brighid to bless cash that I give to charities, such as food banks and shelters.  Rarely, but sometimes, I get the overwhelming urge to give her something in a burnt offering.   Sometimes the offerings don't seem to make sense to me at first, but occasionally I have the overwhelming urge to give her something which seems very unusual to me.  I'll often look it up later, and lo and behold, there is often a short mention of the item(s) being associated to Brighid.  But for the most part, my rituals involve mostly dedications and prayer.  With every dedication, I feel more of Brighid's "energy" within me.  Even when I use divination or energy manipulation, it isn't usually structured.  I usually just ground and pray beforehand that Brighid will guide me and protect me.

Life is magic, magic is life, and the Divine is love.
Goddess bless.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)