The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2021, 01:52:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2021, 01:52:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Golden frog symbolism?  (Read 12002 times)
Aasha
Journeyman
Last Login:October 26, 2009, 02:14:45 pm
United States United States

Religion: Canaanite Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 14, 2007, 12:27:18 pm »

I need help interpreting a sign that I requested.  I wanted conformation that I had made the right choice and that the spiritual direction I was headed in was right.  The sign I received was a golden frog.  A frog of or colored gold, not one of a species by that name.  I tend to interpret receiving a sign as positive.  As in, yes, I made the right choice.  But why a golden frog?  Are you familiar with myths involving such a frog?  Or do you know of any religious significance here? 

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 14, 2007, 01:42:48 pm »

I need help interpreting a sign that I requested.  I wanted conformation that I had made the right choice and that the spiritual direction I was headed in was right.  The sign I received was a golden frog.  A frog of or colored gold, not one of a species by that name.  I tend to interpret receiving a sign as positive.  As in, yes, I made the right choice.  But why a golden frog?  Are you familiar with myths involving such a frog?  Or do you know of any religious significance here? 

if the situation involved kissing at all, I'd think the Frog Prince.

other than that, I'm stumped.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #2: May 14, 2007, 02:41:14 pm »

Definitely not a scholarly source, and I have no idea where they got the idea, but in the first season of Dead Like Me golden frogs seemed to be connected to life after death and transformation.

Absent, who watches too much t.v. .

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 14, 2007, 04:28:23 pm »

Definitely not a scholarly source, and I have no idea where they got the idea, but in the first season of Dead Like Me golden frogs seemed to be connected to life after death and transformation.

Absent, who watches too much t.v. .

Ok, my first thought involved the species golden frogs and is completely besides the point lol

But, since I have never watched Dead Like Me, why does seem to make me want to agree, Marilyn? (Even less scholarly response since I can't think WHY my brain makes the connection Huh )

Darkhawk
Chief Mux Wizard
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2021, 07:20:16 pm

Religion: Kemetic Feri Discordian

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 14, 2007, 04:32:56 pm »

They had the same meaning in Egyptian symbology.  The frogs would hibernate in the mud through the dry season, and when the floods came would basically reanimate, providing a handy resurrection symbol.

The frog-headed goddess Heqet is a midwife, handling the 'birth' end of things.  Further, the Ogodad, a set of eight gods and goddesses (half snake-headed and half frog-headed) were the creators of some of the basic strutwork for the universe in one creation cosmology.

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #5: May 14, 2007, 05:01:13 pm »

But, since I have never watched Dead Like Me, why does seem to make me want to agree, Marilyn?

See Darkhawk's answer.  Apparently both you and the show's creators have some awareness of Kemetic cosmology.

Me, I just watch too much t.v. Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 14, 2007, 05:11:47 pm »

See Darkhawk's answer.  Apparently both you and the show's creators have some awareness of Kemetic cosmology.

Me, I just watch too much t.v. Cheesy

Absent

Well crud... *scratches head* wonder where I picked that up? lol

MelanieS
Journeyman
Last Login:November 18, 2009, 08:17:30 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 14, 2007, 08:46:42 pm »

My initial thoughts about frogs are of rebirth and transformation. It's clouded in my mind if this comes from actual research or a fantastically dreadful movie that has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. In the movie the frog is a symbol of rebirth. Though its used (in a roundabout way) for a motorcycle gang to come back from the dead so they can be super unruly.

But the frog prince fairy tale is also about transformation so that fits with rebirth.
It really seems like there is another fairy tale like story about a frog right on the tip of my tongue, but it's escaping me.

Those stories with what others have said convince me that the frog really is about transformation.

I would think also that the fact that your frog was golden in color would lend credibility to the notion that it was a positive sign. I guess that's a matter of interpretation, but generally I go with gold = sun and sun = yes or positive.

So in a very non footnoted, no evidence to back this up whatsoever way, I'd say golden frog = positive transformation.

Elisabette
Master Member
Last Login:December 11, 2010, 06:22:49 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Animist pagan
TCN ID: Elisabette

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 14, 2007, 09:48:02 pm »

I don't have any additional knowledge about frog mythology, but I received a similar sign when I was about your age, only my frog was silver. I wore a silver frog ring on my right ring finger for close to ten years until I decided it was time to throw it into a real frog pond.

The silver frog vision I had was very vivid, and accompanied by a very certain, gut knowing that "this frog steals names." I wore the frog ring as a way of reminding and guarding myself against the more negative aspects of transformation: the loss of the previous self. Basically, if silver frog is around, I know it's time to decide what's worth keeping and hold onto it tightly, because there is a major change coming.

As a contrast, this fits in with MelanieS' interpretation. Gold frog=positive transformation. Silver frog=negative transformation, or the negative aspects of transformation.

Betty  Smiley

Aasha
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 14, 2007, 11:37:35 pm »

I would think also that the fact that your frog was golden in color would lend credibility to the notion that it was a positive sign. I guess that's a matter of interpretation, but generally I go with gold = sun and sun = yes or positive.

So in a very non footnoted, no evidence to back this up whatsoever way, I'd say golden frog = positive transformation.

Positive transformation.  Your thoughts make perfect sense (I only hope I am not believing too readily what I want to hear).  I hadn't considered the gold/sun connection.  We could probably flip the idea and say silver/moon = no or negative.
Aasha
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 14, 2007, 11:42:02 pm »

As a contrast, this fits in with MelanieS' interpretation. Gold frog=positive transformation. Silver frog=negative transformation, or the negative aspects of transformation.

I should have read to all posts before quoting.  That'll teach me.  Thanks for sharing your silver frog experience.  Could you tell me more about the name-stealing?  I have a special interested in names so anything on the subject is bound to catch my attention  Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)