The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 22, 2018, 04:22:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 04:22:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: You're WRONG!  (Read 7699 times)
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 04, 2010, 01:29:50 pm »

What do those words mean to you in a religious sense?  Do you ever entertain the thoughts of what you might be wrong about, and what that means to your faith?  What's the worst that might happen if you're wrong?

Personally, my religion STARTS at the point of "we're all wrong about something.  What IS is a lot bigger than what we can grapple with.  So we're going to fall short - and that's okay".

So I'm quite sure I'm wrong about stuff.  In fact, with that as a main tenet of my religion, I HAVE to be - if I'm right about everything else, I'm wrong on that! Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Cent
Master Member
Last Login:May 01, 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Of the Earth

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 04, 2010, 01:40:56 pm »

What do those words mean to you in a religious sense?  Do you ever entertain the thoughts of what you might be wrong about, and what that means to your faith?  What's the worst that might happen if you're wrong?

Personally, my religion STARTS at the point of "we're all wrong about something.  What IS is a lot bigger than what we can grapple with.  So we're going to fall short - and that's okay".

So I'm quite sure I'm wrong about stuff.  In fact, with that as a main tenet of my religion, I HAVE to be - if I'm right about everything else, I'm wrong on that! Cheesy

I don't follow a religion... instead I do try to look to science and what is written about energy.
I also deal with ghost, spirits and such... so I have to take that into account.
When all else fails me... I look to this    "Circle of Thought"

"'Reality' is what we take to be true. What we take to be true, is what we believe. What we believe, is based upon our perceptions. What we perceive, depends upon what we look for. What we think, depends upon what we perceive. What we perceive, depends upon what we believe. What we believe, determines what we take to be true. What we take to be true, is our reality." *author unknown*

Energy Follows Attention
hikorosuki
Apprentice
Last Login:July 26, 2010, 04:19:06 am

Religion: none

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 04, 2010, 01:45:40 pm »

What do those words mean to you in a religious sense?  Do you ever entertain the thoughts of what you might be wrong about, and what that means to your faith?  What's the worst that might happen if you're wrong?

Personally, my religion STARTS at the point of "we're all wrong about something.  What IS is a lot bigger than what we can grapple with.  So we're going to fall short - and that's okay".

So I'm quite sure I'm wrong about stuff.  In fact, with that as a main tenet of my religion, I HAVE to be - if I'm right about everything else, I'm wrong on that! Cheesy

I don't mind it because I know I don't know the truth. I have never had an issue with people challenging my beliefs. As a matter of fact, I enjoy this, it strengthens and weakens some ideas and that is good because I want to improve and evolve as a person. I did not grow up in a monotheistic household and I find that monotheistic religions are heavily based on orthodoxy (correct belief).

To me, it is more about orthopraxy so being conceptually/philosophically wrong or right is not essential to my tradition.

I hope this made sense.
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 04, 2010, 01:47:41 pm »

One of the tenets of my faith is: "We are fallible. As humans our perspective is limited: incomplete cannot be infallible. Therefore we accept that if there is any One True Way or Absolute Truth, we cannot know it in its entirety, and do not claim to follow it."

I am a natural skeptic, and I have always acknowledged the possibility that I could be wrong about some things, about everything, but I generally run on the assumption that I'm right. It makes life easier. Without divine intervention, or some sort of hard evidence that divinity does not exist, my beliefs are unlikely to change; as long as I'm not hurting myself or anyone else, and they enrich my life, who cares if I'm right or wrong? I don't. As for what could happen if I'm wrong- I have no idea. I think that would depend largely on what was right, really, and it's not something I really spend my time speculating on.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: January 04, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »

I am a natural skeptic, and I have always acknowledged the possibility that I could be wrong about some things, about everything, but I generally run on the assumption that I'm right. It makes life easier. Without divine intervention, or some sort of hard evidence that divinity does not exist, my beliefs are unlikely to change; as long as I'm not hurting myself or anyone else, and they enrich my life, who cares if I'm right or wrong? I don't. As for what could happen if I'm wrong- I have no idea. I think that would depend largely on what was right, really, and it's not something I really spend my time speculating on.

I was trying to figure out how to answer this one, but you've done it for me.  Smiley  This, pretty much.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 04, 2010, 04:13:56 pm »

I don't have faith, in the sense that it is generally used.  (Of course I have an implicit faith in the safety of leaving the house, of friends not suddenly turning on me, etc).

I 'believe' in following the evidence.  My worldview is based on the evidence I currently see.  If new evidence comes to light, I may need to change my worldview.  How traumatic this is may depend on what the new evidence is.  (if it's Godzilla-like, I probably won't be too happy to see it).

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 04, 2010, 08:50:18 pm »

I quite happily accept I may be wrong about lots of things. Even things I've always known. Having said that I would prefer to not be wrong about some things and end up burning in hell for all eternity. So my plan is on dying while awake so if I need to I can make a deathbed plea for forgiveness to a mainstream god if I feel i have made the wrong choices my entire life.  Smiley
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 18, 2018, 06:50:50 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 04, 2010, 09:57:45 pm »

It's quite possible that I am wrong about my religious beliefs. Given that the Gods are not walking among us obviously being Gods and directing our beliefs directly, I think this is true of any religious belief. I think that people unwilling to admit even the possibility that they might be wrong are deceiving themselves -- mistaking what they believe to be true for what they know to be true.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 05, 2010, 01:58:14 am »

I could be wrong in my beliefs, and it is something that I have been thinking about a lot recently (probably because I am housebound at the moment-can't even go into the garden or watch Elizabeth in the snow) as I fast approach my 35th birthday. If I am wrong, then one of the main supports of my sanity will dissolve as it is one of the most central things in my life and is something that I take a lot of comfort from and take pride in. Also, all my crystals (which I have spent rather a large amount on over the years) are just shiny rocks on a shelf.

However, saying all that, I don't think that I am wrong. There has been too much evidence for me to think negatively for very long. I love being a Witch and I love being close to the wonderful Deities that talk to me (I don't even really mind when they yell at me for something). My beliefs make me happy, and I guess that is all that is needed.

BTW Everfool-if any Godzilla type creature comes stomping around near my house, I am blaming you, and you can drive up here and help to clean up the mess! OK?

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 05, 2010, 10:49:45 am »

Soft agnosticism? Oh, yea, I think that anyone who really considers things critically is agnostic on some level. Even some Christians are, and their belief-system generally calls for gnosticism.

However, not to be PITA: suppose some of us are wrong about being wrong? What then?

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: January 05, 2010, 11:05:42 am »

BTW Everfool-if any Godzilla type creature comes stomping around near my house, I am blaming you, and you can drive up here and help to clean up the mess! OK?

I don't have a poop-scooper that large.

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 05, 2010, 11:07:38 am »

I don't have a poop-scooper that large.

Then you'd either get building, or send him South instead of towards me in the North!  Wink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 05, 2010, 12:16:24 pm »

I am probably wrong, yes. But I have no way to know what is right, and even if I had, I don't know if I would be able to understand. So, I'll keep on believing what I believe until the gradual change on my beliefs makes me believe something else.

If, for some reason, I get a clear evidence that I am wrong and evidence of what is the truth of the Universe regarding religion, I will probably change my beliefs (in time, I'm sure I'll have a denial stage first, and then gradually I'll start believing whatever the truth seems to be).

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 05, 2010, 12:24:35 pm »

What do those words mean to you in a religious sense?  Do you ever entertain the thoughts of what you might be wrong about, and what that means to your faith?

Coming from my point of view if I am wrong so what.  Hopefully it is something I can learn from if someone actually points it out to me.  Being Asatru I realize that within my own beliefs there are many factions and divisions on many topics.  Unlike some I know, I do not need historical evidence that something was done a certain way for me to practice my faith.  I do believe there are many things I am wrong about, but I do my best to honor the gods and goddesses MY way.

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: January 05, 2010, 02:30:31 pm »

However, not to be PITA: suppose some of us are wrong about being wrong? What then?

That doesn't even make sense.

What does being wrong mean /to you/?  simply saying "lots of people are" doesn't really address what it means to you - or even if YOU are soft agnostic.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)