The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 30, 2020, 12:00:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2020, 12:00:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: You're WRONG!  (Read 10182 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #15: January 05, 2010, 02:49:42 pm »

However, not to be PITA: suppose some of us are wrong about being wrong? What then?

Then...  we're right?  Huh  I don't understand where you're going with this.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member
Last Login:November 04, 2010, 03:13:23 am

Religion: Hellenismos

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 05, 2010, 03:17:06 pm »

Then...  we're right?  Huh  I don't understand where you're going with this.

It was a paradox. If we are wrong about being wrong then we are still wrong, though you could also say that we are then right.
It was not a serious question. Although it is possible.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." Abraham Lincoln

Praise be to Apollon, Lord of music and creativity!
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 05, 2010, 03:20:24 pm »

That doesn't even make sense.

What does being wrong mean /to you/?  simply saying "lots of people are" doesn't really address what it means to you - or even if YOU are soft agnostic.

That is the point. It is a paradox.

Being wrong means that things will not end up the way I invision *shrug*. It really depends on what exactly I am wrong about. Just being incorrect is not a cause for particular alarm. If I am wrong to believe there is no eternal damnation and that I do not have to be a Christian to have a non-torturous afterlife, then I guess I am in for some pain. If I am simply wrong in that there is no afterlife then I guess I will one day cease to exist. It all depends. I don't always mind being wrong, but I really hate admitting it sometimes.

Too much wisdom is an oxymoron; too much knowledge an imminent possibility often detrimental to one's health.

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 05, 2010, 03:23:35 pm »

It was not a serious question. Although it is possible.

Which really does nothing to further the conversation. Playing Devil's Advocate is only useful when your question is answerable, and makes people think about the opposite theory/idea/whatever. Random paradoxical statements, especially when presented in all seriousness, do nothing but confuse.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 05, 2010, 04:37:03 pm »

Soft agnosticism? Oh, yea, I think that anyone who really considers things critically is agnostic on some level. Even some Christians are, and their belief-system generally calls for gnosticism.

However, not to be PITA: suppose some of us are wrong about being wrong? What then?

I'm responding to this post in particular because it was the one that spawned this question; it just took me a bit to compose properly.

May I ask why you're here at TC? What are you looking to get out of being a member of this community? Because it seems from your posts that you don't really want to share much about what you actually believe (as the rest of the post I'm quoting illustrates), as much as you seem to want to talk about what you know about various subjects; and when your knowledge is challenged, you back-track and cede the point. If I may say, you will likely get a lot more out of this forum if you share what you actually believe, what you actually feel, and not the listed beliefs of group X or a dictionary-esque definition that does nothing to further the conversation.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 05, 2010, 05:59:24 pm »

I'm responding to this post in particular because it was the one that spawned this question; it just took me a bit to compose properly.

May I ask why you're here at TC? What are you looking to get out of being a member of this community? Because it seems from your posts that you don't really want to share much about what you actually believe (as the rest of the post I'm quoting illustrates), as much as you seem to want to talk about what you know about various subjects; and when your knowledge is challenged, you back-track and cede the point. If I may say, you will likely get a lot more out of this forum if you share what you actually believe, what you actually feel, and not the listed beliefs of group X or a dictionary-esque definition that does nothing to further the conversation.

I believe that I very possibly could be wrong. I do not, however, worry too much about it. I do try my best to be correct as I find that desirable, but it won't throw me into fits of despair to find out I am just plain wrong.

Sort of like the responses some have to the question of life after death. I will not know until I know and I may never know at all, so why get an ulcer about it. In instances where no one on earth can know who, if anyone, is right, I do not sweat it. If the answer to something is knowable, however, I do try my best to be right.

I am not even going to get into the epistemological questions inherent in my use of the word knowable, as I have two hot dogs facing immediate burn risk. (I wouldn't worry so much, but they are Nathans)

Lykos
Permanently Banned
Master Member

Blog entries (5)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 05, 2010, 06:02:20 pm »

Which really does nothing to further the conversation. Playing Devil's Advocate is only useful when your question is answerable, and makes people think about the opposite theory/idea/whatever. Random paradoxical statements, especially when presented in all seriousness, do nothing but confuse.

Apologies are due. It was a weak attempt at humor.

Caedo
Apprentice
Last Login:February 12, 2011, 04:12:30 pm

Religion: Animist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 08, 2010, 08:12:37 pm »

What do those words mean to you in a religious sense?  Do you ever entertain the thoughts of what you might be wrong about, and what that means to your faith?  What's the worst that might happen if you're wrong?

Once upon a time, I thought I knew what was right religiously.  Those were good times.  Now all I know is that I know nothing, which makes me alright by Socrates but does very little to make my life easier.  When doubt forced me to reassess my spirituality, I told myself that any god worth believing in would understand why I needed to turn my back on everything I had been taught and figure things out for myself.  Not that that will stop a god NOT worth believing in from sentencing me to eternal suffering, should such a deity exist.  Here's hoping I'm not wrong, I guess.
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 08, 2010, 09:18:40 pm »

What do those words mean to you in a religious sense?  Do you ever entertain the thoughts of what you might be wrong about, and what that means to your faith?  What's the worst that might happen if you're wrong?

I could always be wrong.  That's why I do my damndest to make sure that if I open my mouth I better be right- or at least add a disclaimer that I am not completely sure and it needs to be followed up by earnest fact checking.  The worst thing I could do is fancy myself knowledgeable and dupe people into believing inaccurate or incomplete information.  That practice is morally offensive to me, because it's a form of lying which my ethics rejects.

Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #24: January 08, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »

I don't always mind being wrong, but I really hate admitting it sometimes.

Not commenting on things you don't know anything about, thinking before you speak, and ceasing to make sweeping generalizations could help, as a start.

Pythuna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 12:59:17 pm

Religion: Panentheism

Wherever you go, there you are.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 09, 2010, 03:24:05 am »

What do those words mean to you in a religious sense?  Do you ever entertain the thoughts of what you might be wrong about, and what that means to your faith?

I've been wrong about some details of my religious path and some of my religious choices, but what's wrong for me can be right for others and vice versa, obviously.  I've finally got the Big Picture of my religion dialed in, so now it's just the tweaking of the details.

The seventh tenet of Huna is Pono--Effectiveness is the Measure of Truth.  This appeals to the scientist in me, too.  If it works, it's true.  If it doesn't work, it's wrong.  I don't think religion should be blind faith.  Religion can be tested like anything else, but the testing criteria will vary, and it's up to the individual to interpret the results.

I'm very much a Relativist.  Relativity is at the very heart of my spiritual beliefs, so I have no problem saying that all roads lead to God (my Pythagorean and panentheistic beliefs say that "Thou Art God" already, so we're already there and don't need a path).  However, certain roads may not be the right road for us.  For instance, Christianity is the wrong road for me.  I respect the teachings of Jesus (Love God and Love thy neighbor as yourself), but I can't worship the messenger.  Buddhism is also the wrong road for me--I'm a Leo and I just can't, and don't want to, give up my ego.

My beliefs now work--they're effective--so my Truth-o-meter is reading high.

What's the worst that might happen if you're wrong?

As I said, I'm a Leo.  I can't be wrong!   Wink

Me ka pono~
Pythuna

“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
-- Albert Einstein
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #26: January 14, 2010, 08:43:11 pm »

Apologies are due. It was a weak attempt at humor.

I got that it was a joke, but I'm not sure I understand why people are angry about it. Did I miss something?
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 14, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »

Did I miss something?

If so, you aren't alone. I think I understand the basis, but not the point.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #28: January 14, 2010, 09:02:16 pm »

Oh, that's easy. I'm not wrong, I'm awesome. Cheesy

I definitely prize orthopraxy over orthodoxy, and I am a firm believer that religion has nothing to do with reality. I don't care what's really out there - maybe Pan and Company are "real" and maybe not, maybe Yahweh is the only dude and maybe not, and maybe the Pastafarians are the only people with the true answers. If I die and get to the Pearly Gates and find out I was "wrong," I'd probably spray graffiti on said gates and see who wanted to go on an expedition to find Valhalla. XD

It doesn't bother me. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. If I'm ignoring my one shot at heaven, so be it. I'm doing what feels right, what feels best for me, and I'd go to hell for that. I'm free. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Lunamoth42
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 10:56:08 am

Religion: New Age-influenced Celtic Polytheist & Kitchen Witch

First, there was nothing. Then it exploded.

Blog entries (0)

Lunamoth42

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 18, 2010, 10:36:24 pm »

In a religious sense, the words "you're wrong" suggest that the person speaking them believes they know something I do not.  If/when these words are spoken to me, my gut instinct is to tell that person where to shove it, because they can't possibly know that, excepting in matters of historically-recorded practices.  E.g. No, there wasn't an Irish potato goddess.  That's wrong.

Occasionally, as I'm trying to fall asleep, I wonder if I'm completely wrong about things.  And then one of my gods rolls His or Her eyes (metaphorically, of course) and tells me to shut it and go to sleep.  Cheesy  Seriously though, if I was wrong, it wouldn't shake my faith, because it's been working for me so far.  Better, in fact, than anything I'd done in the past.  The worst that could happen, if I found out I was wrong (and this is assuming it could be proven in any case), I'd probably shrug and continue on anyway.  Since it's what's working for me and all.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)