The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 21, 2021, 03:10:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2021, 03:10:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Is Magic(k)?  (Read 23825 times)
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Topic Start: May 14, 2007, 03:59:16 pm »

This is a topic that has been done at TC many times, but I don't think it's been done recently.  The subject has come up in another thread, and I thought it would be useful to spin this discussion off to its own thread.

How do you define "magic(k)"? 

As a side question, do you think it's at all related to prayer?  Are they similar?  The same thing?  Totally separate?  Sometimes connected?  Something else I've forgotten?

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 14, 2007, 06:36:28 pm »

As a side question, do you think it's at all related to prayer?  Are they similar?  The same thing?  Totally separate?  Sometimes connected?  Something else I've forgotten?

For the sake of time restrictions, and coherence, I'll leave the main question for now, but, for me, prayer and magic are different things. Not necessarily, unconnected, but different.

Magic and prayer are separate things for me. Magic is something I do for myself (even if I call on my deities for aid). Prayer is when I call on the Gods to do something.

Sorry Randall, but you put it so succinctly Wink

Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 14, 2007, 07:13:11 pm »

I think I define magick as focusing my own will through use of prayer, meditation, ritual, candles, incense, etc. to change or affect something that would not have been changed or affected without my influence.

Ana

Kasmira
Adept Member
Last Login:July 29, 2017, 12:05:31 pm

Religion: Buddhist and Daoist inspired something
TCN ID: Kasmira

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 14, 2007, 07:20:34 pm »

For me magick is focusing your will. I believe that my magick can only effect me. It is focusing my own power within me towards a purpose, but it only makes me see the path/have the strength to do the necessary mundanely in order to accomplish what the magick was for. I understand that this is different from most people's definition, but I thought I would contribute it for diversity Smiley .

Prayer for me indicates a religious (related to a devine being) connection as opposed to magick which is a spiritual (one's own power) one. Prayer is asking the intervention/guidance of a devine power and magick is using ones own power. I do not pray, as I do not believe in any deities, however, I understand its place in worship.

Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss - Douglas Adams
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all - Oscar Wilde
The road to nowhere: My little foray into the blogoshpere
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Last Login:July 08, 2011, 11:00:11 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Heathen
TCN ID: FunkyDemon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 14, 2007, 07:38:37 pm »

I would define magic as something that is against the natural order, either performed by a person or at the behest of a person (such as by a god).  From this previous answer you may get that I think of magic and prayer as the same.  I don't see any difference between a Christian prayer or a Wiccan spell. 

I must admit however that while I can believe in magic, I have never seen or heard anything to indicate that anyone has ever performed real magic.  Not that I am against those that claim otherwise, but in this case for me seeing is believing.
juniperrr
Master Member
Last Login:December 01, 2008, 03:35:10 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: May 14, 2007, 07:42:01 pm »

I define magic as using the universal energy (call it the String Symphony, Schrodinger's quantum wave, God or whatever) and shaping it for a specific result using my personal will.

Randall did state it beautifully, and I agree. Paraphrase: magic I direct, prayer asks Deity to direct. Two different things, IMHO, even to the point of one being religious and one not.
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 14, 2007, 07:59:21 pm »

I must admit however that while I can believe in magic, I have never seen or heard anything to indicate that anyone has ever performed real magic.  Not that I am against those that claim otherwise, but in this case for me seeing is believing.

How do you define "real magic" vs just plain old magic? 

FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 14, 2007, 08:03:39 pm »

How do you define "real magic" vs just plain old magic? 

That would be real magic vs. fake magic (aka stage magic). 
Aisling
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 14, 2007, 08:48:22 pm »

That would be real magic vs. fake magic (aka stage magic). 

That helps to clarify...somewhat.  Smiley  I'm trying to understand where you're coming from on this one (as I very much believe in magic as a reality and have seen it as such).  What would you consider an example of real magic- something that if it happened, would make you say "That was magic"? 

FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 14, 2007, 09:08:10 pm »

That helps to clarify...somewhat.  Smiley  I'm trying to understand where you're coming from on this one (as I very much believe in magic as a reality and have seen it as such).  What would you consider an example of real magic- something that if it happened, would make you say "That was magic"? 

My usual reply to such a question is, "When I see someone flying around or they throw lightning or a fireball at me, then I will believe."  I have 'witnessed' people who say they have seen the future or controlled the weather, but there was no indication that it actually happened.  The vague foretellings don't impress me.  They are either obvious (I could of come up with that without 'magic') or non-specific (gee, you were right I did meet someone, it only took 5 years for that fortune telling).  The weather control are just as funny.  It rained!  Just like the weatherman said it would, oh mighty one.

The reason I say I believe in magic is that I acknowledge there are things that can not be explained and magic seems the most apt answer.  However this would be more accurate if I say I believe in the supernatural.  I have never witnessed or heard from a credible witness any person actually perform magic.  I tend to believe that if someone was REALLY doing magic they would be keeping that secret since humans are unreliable animals and would probably turn on them.  If I could perform magic I wouldn't be broadcasting it.  Maybe the people on this forum (and others) are really performing magic, I've just never seen it and will remain skeptical until I do.
Rain
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 07, 2008, 12:31:39 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Panentheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 14, 2007, 09:56:56 pm »

The art of causing change in accordance with will using methods not completely understood by science.

To me prayer is a magical conversation, as opposed to, say, spellwork, which is magical action.  Prayer is communicating with the Sacred.

Aisling
High Adept Member

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 14, 2007, 11:52:33 pm »

My usual reply to such a question is, "When I see someone flying around or they throw lightning or a fireball at me, then I will believe."  I have 'witnessed' people who say they have seen the future or controlled the weather, but there was no indication that it actually happened. 

Gotcha!  I can't say I've flown (airplanes aside) and gods willing, I'd love the ability to throw lightening or fireballs at someone.  My idea of magic is a much more subtle notion of shifting and directing energies toward a goal rather than something more in line with the Hollywood version of magic.

Maybe the people on this forum (and others) are really performing magic, I've just never seen it and will remain skeptical until I do.

Skepticism is always healthy, but for me, it's a matter of faith in knowing that what I do magically can bring about actual change.  I don't need to see the results to believe it works.

Just for fun, let me put a spin on your seeing is believing comment...  Have you ever seen the wind?  Not the effects of what the wind does (trees swaying, dust swirling), but the wind itself?  If you cannot see it, how do you know it exists? Just some food for thought.

Ygraine
Senior Newbie
Last Login:October 06, 2008, 10:11:07 am

Religion: pagan-influenced seeker

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 15, 2007, 12:18:32 am »

This is a topic that has been done at TC many times, but I don't think it's been done recently.  The subject has come up in another thread, and I thought it would be useful to spin this discussion off to its own thread.

I don't practice, personally, but I think of it as directing one's energies (or will) towards changing the environment in order to reach a certain goal. I believe that "energy" (for lack of a better term, I have a hard time explaining it) is all around us and within us and that some choose to harness it and control what they can of it.

I don't believe magic is the same as prayer. Prayer is asking a deity to protect us or intervene on our behalf. It isn't the same as controlling the power around us ourselves.
yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 15, 2007, 12:15:54 pm »

To me prayer is a magical conversation, as opposed to, say, spellwork, which is magical action.  Prayer is communicating with the Sacred.

So is magic in some way sacred to you?  Personally, I don't see it being any more sacred than any other skill (knitting, cooking, etc.).  <shrug>

Brina
FunkyDemon
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 15, 2007, 02:04:46 pm »

Gotcha!  I can't say I've flown (airplanes aside) and gods willing, I'd love the ability to throw lightening or fireballs at someone.  My idea of magic is a much more subtle notion of shifting and directing energies toward a goal rather than something more in line with the Hollywood version of magic.

I guess I've just read too many sci-fi/fantasy novels.  I want big bang for my buck.  Smiley

Skepticism is always healthy, but for me, it's a matter of faith in knowing that what I do magically can bring about actual change.  I don't need to see the results to believe it works.

Just for fun, let me put a spin on your seeing is believing comment...  Have you ever seen the wind?  Not the effects of what the wind does (trees swaying, dust swirling), but the wind itself?  If you cannot see it, how do you know it exists? Just some food for thought.

I came from atheism so skepticism is my natural state.  You have to allow some faith for any religion and so I have done so, but I won't go as far as blind faith.  Faith is belief without reason.  Blind faith in belief in spite of reason.  Since magic has nothing to do with my religion, it isn't a faith question for me, I need some reason for the belief.

I've seen the wind question a lot from Christians while I was an atheist.  Wind can be felt, measured, and seen by it's effect.  It is a well studied and understood phenomena.  Perhaps some day magic will fall into the same category and it will be accepted along with the wind.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)