The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 15, 2021, 05:46:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2021, 05:46:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Is Magic(k)?  (Read 23919 times)
Malkin
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 07:53:38 pm
United States United States

Religion: BTW

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #30: June 02, 2007, 01:43:27 am »

(snip)...Working magick, whether it is through elaborate ritual, through simple earth/low magick, or through changing my internal state, my attitudes and representations of the world, changing my mind... regardless of the form it takes it is when I put into action the cause of the change that I seek.

(snip)

Magick to become the kind of person that is highly employable might include a ritual to embody the right qualities by invoking aspects of a deity or archetype, it might be lighting a candle to focus my energies during interviews. It might be wearing a charm or amulet. It might be by examining the mindset that had been preventing me from getting employment and addressing the changes that I need to make internally to shift them. It is entirely about creating a change in ME not in the world, it is self intiated and relies on me taking responsibilty.

That's much how I tend to view magic(k) as well. I would go so far as to say that true acts of magick can only be done on ourselves, or upon willing participants...it's very much a psychological endeavor. I'm not necessarily one of those people who believes that we can change the world around us with our thoughts. If we can, I believe that we can only do so to a small extent (on an individual level, at least). YMMV.

Thessaly: It's time to draw down the moon.
Foxglove: We did this. Or something like this. We had water and salt, not blood. We invoked the goddess in her aspect as the moon. We called down her power...
Thessaly: Did she answer you?
Foxglove: Well, it felt good at the time. Empowering.
Thessaly: Hmph.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

blue Ash
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 17, 2010, 01:16:26 pm

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: June 03, 2007, 12:09:15 pm »

This is a topic that has been done at TC many times, but I don't think it's been done recently.  The subject has come up in another thread, and I thought it would be useful to spin this discussion off to its own thread.

How do you define "magic(k)"? 

As a side question, do you think it's at all related to prayer?  Are they similar?  The same thing?  Totally separate?  Sometimes connected?  Something else I've forgotten?

I define the act of magic as the energy that we can all feel, yet not see. Even if you are not of a faith which believes in magic, I think it is still there for everyone, and effects everyone.
Magic is the act of harnessing or directing that unseen energy.
Arrow
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 26, 2009, 07:38:44 pm

Religion: eclectic shamanic animism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #32: June 03, 2007, 12:30:34 pm »

I must admit however that while I can believe in magic, I have never seen or heard anything to indicate that anyone has ever performed real magic. 

Cool! An objective observer.
Stick around please. Your perspective is sure to keep this interesting!

Arrow

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

"I am made of the dust of the stars and the ocean flows in my veins"   (Neil Peart 1989)
Arrow
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: June 03, 2007, 12:42:23 pm »

"When I see someone flying around or they throw lightning or a fireball at me, then I will believe." 
When I see someone throwing fireballs at me I will probably reach for my shotgun and worry about belief later.

Arrow

"I am made of the dust of the stars and the ocean flows in my veins"   (Neil Peart 1989)
Arrow
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: June 03, 2007, 01:16:03 pm »

How do you define "magic(k)"? 

Here's a quote from my book-in-progress.
There are many definitions of magic. Ask any six students of the subject and you will get a dozen answers, probably more. None of them will encompass all of what magic is, because more than anything else, magic is utterly changeable. It can not be fully defined, because in the time it takes to assemble the words, the magic has evolved, transformed, and found a new manifestation.

For practical purposes, I use “magic” as a generic term encompassing all the means of manipulating and influencing energy
{and thereby events} which mainstream technology has not yet devised a way to measure...It is a blending of intellect and intuition, often operating simultaneously on the physical and energetic planes.

As a side question, do you think it's at all related to prayer

Magic as I practice it is completely unrelated to prayer. For me, prayer (as in asking a deity for something) is for after all possible efforts, including magic, have not done the job, and for really big things, like world peace and saving the environment.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:54:48 pm by Celtee, Reason: to fix quote tag » Logged

Arrow

Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #35: June 03, 2007, 04:48:01 pm »

When I see someone throwing fireballs at me I will probably reach for my shotgun and worry about belief later.

I just reach for my holy water.

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Arrow
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: June 03, 2007, 04:57:26 pm »

I just reach for my holy water.

Alas, while my higher consciousness believes in the divine, I'm afraid my adrenal glands would believe in gun-powder and lead. Fortunately, I have not had the occasion to find out.

Arrow

HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #37: June 03, 2007, 05:12:26 pm »

Alas, while my higher consciousness believes in the divine, I'm afraid my adrenal glands would believe in gun-powder and lead. Fortunately, I have not had the occasion to find out.

I think blessing the gun while shooting is the best policy.

Blessing the gun going about like, "oh gods I hope this works please please please oh gods oh gods" Cheesy

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: June 03, 2007, 05:17:35 pm »

How about keeping the holy water in a Nerf Super Soaker? Cheesy

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
Arrow
Senior Apprentice

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: June 05, 2007, 10:18:05 pm »

How about keeping the holy water in a Nerf Super Soaker? Cheesy
Great for demons.
Might momentarily confuse the garden variety muggers.
Would merely amuse beligerant wizards.

Arrow

Morag
Adept Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: June 06, 2007, 02:54:52 am »

Great for demons.

Very true.....

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

Bastetsf
Apprentice
Last Login:June 23, 2007, 09:18:25 pm

Religion: Pagan, Bastet Devotee, Dragon Lover

No matter where you go, there you are!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: June 07, 2007, 01:11:34 am »

I really like the idea that prayer is hoping and magick is doing. Of course, with the utmost respect, I feel like I am working with the deities/energy, whatever you care to call it/them, rather than just helplessly asking.

BAST magazine, the very best in metal!
www.myspace.com/bastmagazine
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #42: June 07, 2007, 08:23:33 am »

I really like the idea that prayer is hoping and magick is doing.

Please quote a small part of the message you are replying to so we know to what you are reply (Proper quoting is so important that required by board rules.) Thanks!

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #43: June 07, 2007, 10:42:58 am »

LOL!  Yes, I can believe it of you!  I wish you had been able to teach some of that survival sense to my daughter....

Elspeth Sapphire
Elspeth Sapphire
Co-Host
Senior Staff
Journeyman
Last Login:July 16, 2008, 10:44:04 pm

Religion: Pagan

Passed Over -- 19 April 2010

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: June 07, 2007, 10:48:51 am »

Great for demons.
Might momentarily confuse the garden variety muggers.
Would merely amuse beligerant wizards.

Perhaps it would amuse or confuse enough to give you a opening to fall back on other self defense activities...

Elspeth Sapphire

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)