The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 15, 2019, 06:45:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 06:45:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: To Ritual or Not To Ritual?  (Read 2321 times)
Saiyyan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 05, 2012, 10:36:39 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 07, 2010, 11:35:53 pm »

Hello all! I'm very new to this forum but am loving the wealth of knowledge around here!

I had a very newbie question for you all. I'm looking to make little sachets for my mother and sister for protection and mental healing. Anyways, I've got the supplies and I spent the time writing my own spell, but here's what I was wondering: Do I need to do a whole ritual to charge and bless these sachets? I've had some books advise that any time I do any sort of magic (for Eclectic Wicca), I should cast the circle, call the Guardians, invoke the Goddess and the God, and all that jazz. However, in another text, I read a little ceremony for consecrating tools that did not involve all of that...

Long story short: Basically, I want to stuff my sachets and do a little candle magic to charge them. Should I only do it during a ritual?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 08, 2010, 01:26:10 am »

Hello all! I'm very new to this forum but am loving the wealth of knowledge around here!

I had a very newbie question for you all. I'm looking to make little sachets for my mother and sister for protection and mental healing. Anyways, I've got the supplies and I spent the time writing my own spell, but here's what I was wondering: Do I need to do a whole ritual to charge and bless these sachets? I've had some books advise that any time I do any sort of magic (for Eclectic Wicca), I should cast the circle, call the Guardians, invoke the Goddess and the God, and all that jazz. However, in another text, I read a little ceremony for consecrating tools that did not involve all of that...

Long story short: Basically, I want to stuff my sachets and do a little candle magic to charge them. Should I only do it during a ritual?

Gods, if I had to do a full ritual everytime I did some work, I'd never be out of the blasted circle! If you want to just stuff the sachets and do a little candle magic, just do that. IMO you don't always need the full ritual to get things done. If you get your ingredients, do a short/quick blessing over them, put them in the pouches, seal them and then use the candles to add the protection, I think that that will work perfectly well.

Let me know how it goes?

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
theperfumer
Apprentice
Last Login:May 16, 2011, 01:14:50 am

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

magickalrealism

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 08, 2010, 06:05:36 am »

I know I answered this, but apparently it gotten eaten. Short answer:what Saiyyan said. Great big ritual isn't necessary for this kind of work. Back when I was a beginner, though, it did help for me to cast a circle (and just do that) while I worked. It's just good to build concentration and get used to reflexively opening/closing the circle, etc. I have yet to train myself to get everything inside the circle before I start working though - I always forget something!

It's a matter of what skills you want to build when. But really, just practicing magic at all - big ritual or no ritual - at this point is good for getting you used to magic.

"I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been TERRIBLE last words." - Christopher Eccleston
Bastemhet
Master Member
Last Login:July 29, 2012, 07:48:38 am

Religion: Reformed Kemetic

May She smile upon me always.

Blog entries (0)

http://www.facebook.com/h

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 08, 2010, 06:51:16 am »

What do you mean by eclectic Wicca?

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 09, 2019, 07:18:34 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 08, 2010, 07:31:40 am »

This, to my mind, comes down to 'what's the point of a cast circle' in part.

In my tradition, and my personal practice, it serves a whole bunch of roles: not every role applies to every ritual use (or sometimes, one will be a lot more important than another), but I usually find that at least a couple of them are important to the work I'm doing.

- Creating a 'known space' where I'm aware of all the influences in that space, and we're starting from a clean ground (rather than one with all the energies of daily living mixed around in it.)

- A space to welcome the presence of the deities I work with (and to quietly get their attention over a longer period of time rather than saying "Yo, here right now and for the next 3 minutes." which tends to strike me as slightly rude.)

- A space that's also designed to focus the work I'm doing - both through taking time to settle into it (the process of creating a circle for a specific working helps bring my attention to a finer point and to a deeper level over the 10-20 minutes the circle takes to set up than just leaping in.)

- And also by creating a smaller space for the energy to circulate in - by creating that circle, I give something for the energy to push against and increase in focus, rather than dissipating.

- And there's also an element of protection: I don't generally think there are many Big Bad Nasties out there drawn to energy, but I do think there are lot of little things out there who might get curious. I'd rather deal with them on deliberate terms (by leaving specific offerings) rather than having them show up randomly - so I have household wards.

Which brings me to the last one: many of these apply *less* if you've got regularly renewed household cleansing practices and wards going than if you don't. I don't cast circle for meditation work, or daily devotion work, or for very quick magical work (a quick self-blessing, a moment to focus on healing energy, something like that.)

However, I probably would for something like you describe. It's something where I'd like to connect with the deities I honor, to help strengthen my intention. It's something where I'd like to make use of bouncing that energy around a controlled container to help focus and increase it. And it's something where I'd like to make sure all of the influences are the ones I want. All of those mean I'd choose to cast circle. On the other hand, I might not do the 'as formal and lengthy as possible' version: I might pick an approach that's focused and directed, but a bit simpler than the most complex version I might use.

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Saiyyan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:March 05, 2012, 10:36:39 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 08, 2010, 03:27:51 pm »

This, to my mind, comes down to 'what's the point of a cast circle' in part.

In my tradition, and my personal practice, it serves a whole bunch of roles: not every role applies to every ritual use (or sometimes, one will be a lot more important than another), but I usually find that at least a couple of them are important to the work I'm doing.

- Creating a 'known space' where I'm aware of all the influences in that space, and we're starting from a clean ground (rather than one with all the energies of daily living mixed around in it.)

- A space to welcome the presence of the deities I work with (and to quietly get their attention over a longer period of time rather than saying "Yo, here right now and for the next 3 minutes." which tends to strike me as slightly rude.)

- A space that's also designed to focus the work I'm doing - both through taking time to settle into it (the process of creating a circle for a specific working helps bring my attention to a finer point and to a deeper level over the 10-20 minutes the circle takes to set up than just leaping in.)

- And also by creating a smaller space for the energy to circulate in - by creating that circle, I give something for the energy to push against and increase in focus, rather than dissipating.

- And there's also an element of protection: I don't generally think there are many Big Bad Nasties out there drawn to energy, but I do think there are lot of little things out there who might get curious. I'd rather deal with them on deliberate terms (by leaving specific offerings) rather than having them show up randomly - so I have household wards.

Which brings me to the last one: many of these apply *less* if you've got regularly renewed household cleansing practices and wards going than if you don't. I don't cast circle for meditation work, or daily devotion work, or for very quick magical work (a quick self-blessing, a moment to focus on healing energy, something like that.)

However, I probably would for something like you describe. It's something where I'd like to connect with the deities I honor, to help strengthen my intention. It's something where I'd like to make use of bouncing that energy around a controlled container to help focus and increase it. And it's something where I'd like to make sure all of the influences are the ones I want. All of those mean I'd choose to cast circle. On the other hand, I might not do the 'as formal and lengthy as possible' version: I might pick an approach that's focused and directed, but a bit simpler than the most complex version I might use.

Thanks for your answer. I'm not trying to skimp the deities or anything, the ritual I use to connect with them is pretty lengthy. I was curious as to whether or not it would be rude if I didn't include every eensy biiiitsy part of my full ritual.

I would most definitely cast the circle, at the very least just to focus myself.

Cheesy Thanks all!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)