The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 05, 2020, 09:55:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 09:55:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: magickal quilting  (Read 3297 times)
Ana
Journeyman
Last Login:August 30, 2011, 06:53:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Flamekeeper

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 14, 2007, 10:38:13 pm »

I don't know if anyone else does this, but since quilting has been around for well, almost forever, it's also been used to cast spells.  I thought this website was pretty cool for anyone else who quilts out there.

http://members.shaw.ca/kitchenwitch/kitchenwitch/quilting.htm

Ana

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: May 14, 2007, 10:42:01 pm »

I don't know if anyone else does this, but since quilting has been around for well, almost forever, it's also been used to cast spells.

I wonder how traditional this info is (or is it a modern interpretation)?  It's quite interesting either way.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 14, 2007, 10:59:29 pm »

I wonder how traditional this info is (or is it a modern interpretation)?  It's quite interesting either way.

There are a couple of fabric-focused romantic suspense novels by Barbara Michaels (who is also Elizabeth Peters), one of which focuses on quilting. In general, she tends to be reasonably solid on background research, and I keep wanting to go back and look at some of the references she gives in passing in this particular book to see what I can track down. (Two of the main characters are anthropologists, and the basic 'mystery' revolves around the emotions bound into the quilt by the sewer, and how they affect people who come into contact with it.)

The quilt specific one is Stitches in Time, but it's related to two other titles: Come Home, Ammie and Shattered Silk. (Some overlapping characters - and particularly with the latter, and some references to other events, but you can read them independently perfectly easily.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 15, 2007, 12:00:03 am »

Hmph, considering the sources sited on this website, I'm inclined to think it's a modern interpretation (if not downright fabrication).  The webpage lists Cunningham and Harrington's The Magical Household and Willow Polson's Witchcrafts as sources.  Personally, I don't consider them highly reliable sources for anything involving historical tradition. 

However, using quilts as a way of casting spells is a brilliant idea and I do know more than one person who does.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:03:51 am by Aisling_Faa, Reason: Posted before completed » Logged

Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: May 15, 2007, 12:02:52 pm »

Hmph, considering the sources sited on this website, I'm inclined to think it's a modern interpretation (if not downright fabrication).  The webpage lists Cunningham and Harrington's The Magical Household and Willow Polson's Witchcrafts as sources.  Personally, I don't consider them highly reliable sources for anything involving historical tradition. 

However, using quilts as a way of casting spells is a brilliant idea and I do know more than one person who does.

I don't know if it's made up or modern, but it does work really well.  Especially if the quilts are hand-quilted. I've only hand-quilted one large quilt so far, but it took me about a year to complete (I had to put it aside for 6 months)  I put so much love and time into it that it truly is magickal.  I've made several machine-quilts and while they may not take as long, I do know that they still create the desired effect in people that I was hoping for.  I've got to finish a few that I'm working on right now but then I want to start on a fertility quilt for my sister-in-law who is having a lot of fertility difficulties.

Ana

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 15, 2007, 12:15:49 pm »

There are a couple of fabric-focused romantic suspense novels by Barbara Michaels (who is also Elizabeth Peters), one of which focuses on quilting.

I might have to look them up, although I've never liked books written under the Barbara Michaels byline as much as those written under the Elizabeth Peters byline.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 15, 2007, 12:52:54 pm »

I don't know if it's made up or modern, but it does work really well.  Especially if the quilts are hand-quilted.

The thought that came to mind yesterday when I read this was that I've done something similar with afghans. Colours, patterns, and the time and effort that go into them... you get the idea.

Ana
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 11, 2007, 08:48:11 pm »

The thought that came to mind yesterday when I read this was that I've done something similar with afghans. Colours, patterns, and the time and effort that go into them... you get the idea.

Yeah, afghans are very similar.  There's so much of yourself that you put into a work like that.  It's almost like you've created a part of you into your work.  It's really cool.

Ana

nigel
Adept Member
Last Login:May 10, 2010, 10:44:56 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 11, 2007, 09:01:30 pm »

Well the information might be a modern interpretation, but quilts had to be hand sewed back in the day. There is also evidence of "knot magic" as well, so there might be some traditional precedence to the information but with a modern twist.

----------------------------------------------
I'm a naughty monkey
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 11, 2007, 09:16:24 pm »

Well the information might be a modern interpretation, but quilts had to be hand sewed back in the day. There is also evidence of "knot magic" as well, so there might be some traditional precedence to the information but with a modern twist.

funny you mention knot magic... I was thinking about it while I was away, and the afghan I made for our bed has some 'knot' patterns (four actually) as part of it, and while I was away I realised just how... appropriate... it is that I messed up one of the four knot sections so it isn't perfect...3 are, 1 isn't...(of course by the time I realised it was way too late and no way was I undoing it all and doing it again... ) but an imperfection in the knots and conjoined circles just.... fits ... me and mine and the whole tangled and imperfect saga of our lives so... perfectly... I couldn't have done it better if I'd tried to! lol

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)