The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
March 28, 2020, 11:03:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2020, 11:03:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: You, Your God(s), and the Death Penalty  (Read 10205 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #30: January 14, 2010, 04:03:51 pm »

...the vast majority of rapes...

Most of the stats I've been looking at this morning suggest by a factor of 2:1, but with much worse underreporting by male victims and by female victims of women. Some jurisdictions don't recognise that a woman is able to commit rape at all.

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: January 14, 2010, 05:07:28 pm »

It shouldn't be.  Rapists shouldn't be emasculated, where that's physically possible.  They should either be locked up or put down as mad dogs.

Because rape isn't about sex.  Sex is just the weapon used.

I would imagine if rape were punishable by the death penalty, you'd get a whole lot more dead rape victims.

Not that I don't think rapists deserve it... I just think in practice it wouldn't work as a deterrent. Personally I think the death penalty would be great IF one had a justice system that was 100% effective, which isn't going to happen.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #32: January 15, 2010, 02:46:49 am »

Most of the stats I've been looking at this morning suggest by a factor of 2:1, but with much worse underreporting by male victims and by female victims of women. Some jurisdictions don't recognise that a woman is able to commit rape at all.

Oh man, excellent point. Rape itself is under-reported and ignored in our society, and there's an even greater stigma towards males who are raped (because it "emasculates" them - get over yourself, idiot society) and those who "let" themselves be raped by a woman.

I feel like doing a plug for the Vagina Monologues and encouraging people to support their local college/whatever's production thereof. I know at my school it's a very well attended event, and though I personally don't go (too many triggers) I donate to the cause. I forget which charity, but the production (at least at my school) gives money to a campaign against violence towards women.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #33: January 15, 2010, 02:49:35 am »

Oh man, excellent point. Rape itself is under-reported and ignored in our society, and there's an even greater stigma towards males who are raped (because it "emasculates" them - get over yourself, idiot society) and those who "let" themselves be raped by a woman.

Gods, I hate that phrase! No one lets themselves be raped, man or woman!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #34: January 15, 2010, 02:57:50 am »

Gods, I hate that phrase! No one lets themselves be raped, man or woman!

So many girls at my high school believed that a woman has to do something to get raped - dress provocatively, or lead the guy on. And that rape had to be the woman's fault. So many girls thought this, I really had to wonder if it was being passed down in a church. I live in the Bible belt, and even though most of the churches around her are good, a few are, shall we say... morally reprehensible. (F'ex: mailing videos to all Mormons in town telling them they were going to hell.) But the fact that people're telling teenage girls that rape could ever be their fault makes me want to pick up the torches and pitchforks. Where's a good mob when you need one?

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #35: January 15, 2010, 03:05:03 am »

I found that if you're gay then it's not a matter of emasculation; the attitude of the police was pretty much "so you got rough trade, what's the problem? At least they were young". Needless to say it wasn't what I needed to hear if I was going to cooperate with the police (not that they made much of an effort to ask).

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #36: January 17, 2010, 04:14:29 am »

I found that if you're gay then it's not a matter of emasculation; the attitude of the police was pretty much "so you got rough trade, what's the problem? At least they were young". Needless to say it wasn't what I needed to hear if I was going to cooperate with the police (not that they made much of an effort to ask).
Ugh that is vile  Angry

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #37: January 17, 2010, 05:11:06 am »

You know what's FAR more common than "false rape reports"?  Rape.  This is one of the reasons why rape is such an under-reported crime:  because people keep spreading the crap meme that there's some kind of HUGE number of "false rape reports" out there, that terrorizes rape victims into not reporting, because they simply assume they won't be believed.  And when you factor in that the majority of rapes are committed by acquaintances of the victim, and often involve mental and emotional coercion of the type it's difficult to prove in court, it drops the number even lower.  It's one of the main reasons I never reported it when i was raped, because I assumed no one would believe me.

Actively "false" rape reports, that have been proved as such, are *extremely* rare, but they feed into what dominant culture -- that is, male-dominated culture -- wants to hear, so they are treated as if they're the norm.  And yes, it is male-dominated culture:  the vast majority of rapes -- not all, but MOST -- are committed by men, against male and (more usually) female victims.  We live in a rape culture:  one that does everything it can to downplay the importance of rape, to blame the victims and to focus on what they "should" have done to "prevent" their own rapes, to cast about for every means of exonerating the attackers, and to avoid confronting the attitudes that lead to rape. 

Our culture tells men that they are entitled to the bodies of women and "lower-status" men, which is a message that women, as a group, don't receive in any kind of widespread, consistent way.  And then it bends over backwards to excuse rapists -- and spreading the spectre of "tons of false rape reports!!!" contributes to a climate in which the majority of rape victims feel they cannot report their attacks, and men -- rapists and otherwise -- are discouraged from taking stock of their own attitudes and behavior. 

I just like this, in every way.
Marry me?

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams
Ashera
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 11:55:02 am

Religion: Pagan... ish.

What do you mean Halloween's only 1 day a year?!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #38: March 01, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »

Thinking about the upcoming trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his henchmen, I was just wondering about your thoughts and your religious convictions about the death penalty.

My religious convictions don't really differ from my personal morals. In my personal view, there are terrible deeds that people MUST own up to; homicide and rape. Heinous in their definition, and heinous in the act. What I do NOT believe is that someone who has committed these crimes should continue to be housed in a prison system. Aggravated murder should really not even have a reprieve... there are just some people in the world who are inherently bad, and no amount of counseling will change them into a working member of society.

I really have no compassion for a serial killer or rapist, or even someone who molests children (recent example: a case of foster parents in a town near mine who sexually abused a 7 year old girl and a disabled autistic boy who was confined to a wheel chair). Their choices, their punishments. Their punishment of a death penalty only would seem to me an extension of Fate and karma.

Sorry - the topics tend to hit a chord in me since I live in a very democratic-controlled state. Aye, I share a few agreements in some things... but not everything. It also doesn't help that I had a friend killed in a drive-by shooting in middle school and friends who have been raped.
Pythuna
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 12:59:17 pm

Religion: Panentheism

Wherever you go, there you are.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: March 02, 2010, 02:30:05 am »

My religious convictions don't really differ from my personal morals.

That's a good thing!

Sorry - the topics tend to hit a chord in me since I live in a very democratic-controlled state.

Not sure why you said sorry...  you don't have to apologize if your views don't run with the crowd!  Smiley

Me ka pono~
Pythuna

“The important thing is to not stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”
-- Albert Einstein
Ashera
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 21, 2010, 11:55:02 am

Religion: Pagan... ish.

What do you mean Halloween's only 1 day a year?!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #40: March 02, 2010, 10:12:02 am »

Not sure why you said sorry...  you don't have to apologize if your views don't run with the crowd!  Smiley

Oh! I get really defensive sometimes... and I tend to tag that on as a disclaimer in case someone is like "Wha?" on something I posted.  Cheesy I've been on forums that there are a few people who would have gone bonkers and called me heartless. No, I have a heart... just not for someone who can't keep their hands off a child in that way or has violently killed another human being.
Jujulinda
Journeyman
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 05:33:01 pm

Religion: Not sure. The Universe is so vast...

Blog entries (0)

EmoFruit HelloSunshine90

Ignore
« Reply #41: May 25, 2011, 02:21:25 am »

Thinking about the upcoming trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his henchmen, I was just wondering about your thoughts and your religious convictions about the death penalty.

Even tho I believe each of us have a spirit and are expressions of God, my beliefs do not preclude relieving their spirits of their bodies until they can come back and learn to play nicely.

And Madame Pele doesn't seem to have problems with death and vengeance, so I guess I'm not going contrary to Her, either.

Me ka pono~
Pythuna
If it was me I would rather be put to death even though I was innocent then be in jail for twenty years then let out with an apology. Then again I am not scared of death and have never broken any major law. My God/dess is the god of death as well as life so presumably would understand if not actually approve.

To me it's sad that someone would have to die for something they didn't do just so they don't have to go through the torture of life imprisonment. The fact that this happens at all is disgusting in my views. We can't even trust our own justice system to get the right ones.

We're humans and we want vengeance. I've read many accounts of people saying that seeing the perpetrator die didn't lessen their grief. It was just another soul dying. Sure, they may have felt good for a moment but in the end...it's more death. As much as I'm a misanthrope and laugh at things like death in a story..I can't condone it. Sorry for the repeating of myself.

"Oh how wrong we were to think that immortality meant never dying."
Castus
Journeyman
Last Login:March 05, 2018, 12:05:21 pm

Religion: Theism

Caesar's Luck!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #42: May 25, 2011, 07:05:35 am »

As a Fascist-
I have no problems whatsoever with the death penalty; nor do I find issue with bringing back more...stringent methods of punishment.

As a Pagan-
I worship Julius Caesar, the Roman gods in general, and Inanna, Ereshkigal, and Shamash. All of them (with the noted exception of Inanna) are associated with Law and Order and thus I cannot foresee them having any particular qualms about the practice.

Fides est tamen a impeditio ut Monastica. Filiolus es commodo per vestri factum quod illud factum vadum planto vos notus unto lemma, quod exsisto impleo per vita.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)