The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 02, 2021, 06:51:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 02, 2021, 06:51:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Living religions - what qualifies?  (Read 3217 times)
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 12, 2010, 11:04:11 pm »

Something my mind keeps turning over just recently (thanks to something said in another thread:)) that I'd like broader input on.

We say that a religion is a living religion if it has current adherants (I'm not sure if there are any other criteria, chime in if you think so). What about religions that had adherants then didn't have any (or at least none tht we can prove were), but now do? Are they also living religions? Your reasoning behind why/why not would be interesting too Smiley

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 12, 2010, 11:10:07 pm »

We say that a religion is a living religion if it has current adherants (I'm not sure if there are any other criteria, chime in if you think so). What about religions that had adherants then didn't have any (or at least none tht we can prove were), but now do? Are they also living religions? Your reasoning behind why/why not would be interesting too Smiley

Undead religions, obviously. The real argument comes from whether these are zombie or vampire religions. Alas, the two factions will never see past their surface differences...

I would find it difficult to believe that a religion, once died out (and probably for centuries, if not longer) could ever be resurrected as the exact same thing. Even if one miraculously has the original texts and the ability to read them, extant architecture, and a thorough understanding of the culture... it's still not the same era. History has happened. Wars fought, people died, and the world moved on. The current incarnation of that religion may certainly be inspired by the original, but it can never, 100%, match up with it. And that's fine, imho. This new religion, inspired by the old, can be just as vibrant and meaningful, just in different ways.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
BGMarc
Adept Member
Last Login:August 17, 2011, 09:57:32 pm
Australia Australia

Religion: Stoic (with declining druidic/wiccish hangovers and emergent Hellenic/Kemetic affiliations)

Blog entries (0)

Marc Larkin 6marc9

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 12, 2010, 11:25:09 pm »

I would find it difficult to believe that a religion, once died out (and probably for centuries, if not longer) could ever be resurrected as the exact same thing.

I'd have to agree with you on that one Cheesy

I can't help wondering if they were ever the exact same thing from year to year before they died...

"If Michelangelo had been straight, the Sistine Chapel would have been wallpapered" Robin Tyler

It's the saddest thing in the world when you can only feel big by making others feel small. - UPG

Stupidity cannot be cured. Stupidity is the only universal capital crime. The sentence is death. There is no appeal and sentence is carried out automatically and without pity. Lazarus Long.

BGMarc at the Pub
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 12, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »

I'd have to agree with you on that one Cheesy

I can't help wondering if they were ever the exact same thing from year to year before they died...

Probably not, but then, are individuals? I'm a lot different than how I was last week, last year, or last decade. I've changed, been through a million different labels, and all my cells have replaced themselves a couple times. I think, act, speak, and live differently than I've ever done in my life. And yet, I've always been me throughout my lifetime. Instead of facts, I think individuals and religions have trends, that are mostly true, most of the time, unless they're not. Wink

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Star
Message Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 12, 2013, 08:36:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: star

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #4: January 13, 2010, 05:14:27 am »

I'm pretty much with Ellen here.  I know there are some recons who try to rebuild their religion exactly as it was in whatever-year-BC, but realistically I don't think that's possible.  Especially not when you're not living in the same area of the world as the original, but even if you are things are vastly different now than they were then.  I'd still call them living religions under the definition you give; they're just different living religions than the originals were.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Main Blog:  Star's Journal of Random Thoughts
Religious Blog:  The Song and the Flame
I can also now be found on Goodreads.
catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 13, 2010, 03:30:58 pm »

I'm pretty much with Ellen here.  I know there are some recons who try to rebuild their religion exactly as it was in whatever-year-BC, but realistically I don't think that's possible.  Especially not when you're not living in the same area of the world as the original, but even if you are things are vastly different now than they were then.  I'd still call them living religions under the definition you give; they're just different living religions than the originals were.

*nods*  Yeah, I'm with you and Ellen.  The religions of the ancient Greeks, the Romans, the Celtic and Germanic tribes, etc., are dead, dead, dead.  Modern revivals -- even the most hardcore Reconstructions -- are *fundamentally* different, because they are coming from a vastly different cultural context.  Modern Reconstructions have a different history, different development, different practices than did those ancient religions.  The ancient religions targeted for reconstruction were community-wide affairs, while modern Reconstructions are solitary or small-group based.  Recons, for the most part, are operating in the context of modern democratic societies, with modern constructs of human rights.  They are dealing with the shadow of centuries of Christianity, and of being tiny minority religions in their own cultures.  Modern Reconstructions owe as much, philosophically, to the 18th-19th c. Romantics as they do to the ancient culture they're inspired by.  And so forth. 

The very term "reconstruction" implies this -- it's not a continuation, but a rebuilding of something destroyed, a revival of something dead.   
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #6: January 13, 2010, 04:16:43 pm »

The very term "reconstruction" implies this -- it's not a continuation, but a rebuilding of something destroyed, a revival of something dead.   

I can't recall who or where, but I remember seeing someone say that reconstructionism was less like trying to recreate a destroyed building exactly as it had been, and more like using the foundations of the old building to construct a new building.  I like that analogy.

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced."
-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 14, 2010, 10:53:05 am »

I can't recall who or where, but I remember seeing someone say that reconstructionism was less like trying to recreate a destroyed building exactly as it had been, and more like using the foundations of the old building to construct a new building.  I like that analogy.

I think you're referring to this post by Lykaios in the "Reconstructionst vs Reformed Reconstructionist" thread.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Star
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member

Etcetera, Whatever

Blog entries (0)

ilaynay starcr
« Reply #8: January 14, 2010, 10:54:15 am »

I think you're referring to this post by Lykaios in the "Reconstructionst vs Reformed Reconstructionist" thread.

Actually, I don't think that's specifically what I was thinking of, but it's close enough.  Smiley  Thanks!

-- Aart Van Der Leeuw

Tana
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 26, 2013, 08:37:48 am
Germany Germany

Religion: I'm my Lady's own

fence-riding, free-flowing, shamagic = crazy

Blog entries (4)

« Reply #9: January 14, 2010, 01:12:23 pm »

This is exactly what I think about the recon thing.
But you word it so much better.  Cheesy

'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation. That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance. You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long. All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.' Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies'

(The FB button in my profile does not work, if you like go and add me: Tana Adaneth, the one with the Doom Kitty avatar Wink)

Only shallow people know themselves. (Oscar Wilde)

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)