The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 22, 2019, 06:45:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2019, 06:45:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: about crystals and rocks  (Read 7359 times)
sparrow125
Master Member
Last Login:July 19, 2011, 06:21:33 pm
United States United States

Religion: pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 14, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »

I was wondering how long a crystal holds your intent. I mean, if you imbue it with a certain trait, how long does it hold that? And how often should you cleanse a crystal?

I was also wondering about rocks. Smiley I've heard people say that they use polished rocks instead of crystals, or along with crystals. I was wondering if you use them in the same way, what's different about them, etc.

Thanks for your input! Smiley

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 14, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »

I was wondering how long a crystal holds your intent. I mean, if you imbue it with a certain trait, how long does it hold that? And how often should you cleanse a crystal?

I was also wondering about rocks. Smiley I've heard people say that they use polished rocks instead of crystals, or along with crystals. I was wondering if you use them in the same way, what's different about them, etc.

Thanks for your input! Smiley

The theory I use is that energy is, in its natural state, neutral. The intent placed into energy - knowing or unknowingly - programs it to have certain tendencies. This programming can break down overtime, run into viruses, be accidentally or purposefully rewritten, etc. So, if you take a stone and infuse it with, say, a protective intent, the stone will work to pull in similar protective energies. If you wear this stone one day, you probably won't find a kevlar vest lying around. However, you might find yourself having flashes of intuition such as "Maybe I should take a different route home... just in case."

A lot of energy work is based off what you read, how you experiment with what you read, and what you end up sensing about energy/magic/whatever. I see energy as connecting everything, and not deity-granted. This world is soaked in energy, and humans and gods alike have (and can share) it, just as a byproduct of existing. However, if you feel that energy is more divine (or if you feel that it comes from a particular source, whether it's God or Hekate or the elements), then you'd want to honor that. If you don't know, don't worry. Smiley Just play around a little bit to see what happens.

Anyway back to crystals. >> For me, physically cleaning a crystal helps. Running it under water does the trick a lot. Other methods include saging it or passing it through incense or placing it in or under salt/soil. Consider the vibes you get from the stone. Does it 'feel' clean? When you hold it and concentrate, do you get a scattered, tense, or dirty feeling? What about after running it through water or whatever?

Metaphysically, I generally just hold onto a stone and think really, really hard about it being clean. And then I think really, really hard about whatever I want to infuse it with. Smiley Honestly I don't do that much cleansing, but do what feels right. I don't work with stones as much, but I do have a crystal left over from last Imbolc that, even though it's tied in a ribbon, inside a bag, and in a box, I can still feel from across the room. Sometimes the power lasts a long time.

I don't see a difference between crystals and rocks. I mean I'm sure there are geologic and metaphysically differences, but to me, both can be conduits and stores of energy, and to pass a rock over for a shinier, polished crystal may not do your spell (or wallet!) a favor.

Okay, done rambling. XD Hope that was helpful! Oh, and my favorite stones are tiger's eye, quartz, moonstone, and fluorite. The latter looks like fossilized Jolly Ranchers to me.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #2: January 14, 2010, 10:16:32 pm »

For me, physically cleaning a crystal helps. Running it under water does the trick a lot. Other methods include saging it or passing it through incense or placing it in or under salt/soil.

I strongly recommend AGAINST using salt to cleanse stones (in crystal form or otherwise).  Salt can damage many stones -- even ones you don't think it would hurt.  Personally, I find running water to be the best.  I also sometimes use flame to cleanse and/or charge and/or dedicate -- although I just pass the stone quickly through the flame three times.

I've also read and about and experimented with placing stones on selenite (another stone/crystal), which is said to pull the negativity out and neutralize it.  But I'm not really convinced of that.

If you must use salt, try putting the stones in a small bowl or on a small plate, then put that small bowl/plate in/on some salt in a larger container.  Or put the stone in a small cloth bag and put the bag in the salt.

As for how often to cleanse, as Ellen M. said, check with the stone and see when it feels like it needs cleansing.

Many people can feel the pulse of a stone when holding it in their hands.  I know it sounds like you're just feeling your own pulse, but if you monitor your pulse at the same time, it's pretty easy to see that the stone pulses at a different rate than your heartbeat, and that different stones pulse a different rates.  My daughters can also feel it (including the one who totally doesn't  believe in any of that "new agey stuff"  Wink ).  So checking its "pulse" to see if it's regular can be a way to determine if the stone is clean.

As for the difference betweens rocks/stones and crystals, I think the only difference is their physical structure at a molecular level.  F'ex, if you compare a quartz crystal point with a quartz tumble, their energies will be very similar.  Some people use crystal points for their directionality (that is, being able to direct energy using the point's structure), I haven't really done much with that.  I prefer to wear my stones (as in jewelry) or carry them in my pocket, rather than using them for gridding or anything like that.

YMMV, of course.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 14, 2010, 10:37:43 pm »

I strongly recommend AGAINST using salt to cleanse stones (in crystal form or otherwise).  Salt can damage many stones -- even ones you don't think it would hurt.

Ohhhh gosh, I've never even heard of that before! Thank you so much for bringing that up. It never would have occurred to me. (Now I feel all guilty - what have I been putting my stones and crystals through?)

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 15, 2010, 12:40:52 am »

I strongly recommend AGAINST using salt to cleanse stones (in crystal form or otherwise).  Salt can damage many stones -- even ones you don't think it would hurt.  Personally, I find running water to be the best. 

Adding on to what she said, there's a list of methods for clearing stones here that also mentions which methods are bad for which stones.

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 15, 2010, 03:47:08 am »

I started a thread on crystals a short time ago and it may answer some of your questions;

http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=10829.0

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Airrowmn
Last Login:January 26, 2010, 06:20:33 am
Australia Australia

Religion: combination of wiccan , pagan, buddhism and my own

As strong as thy will as strong as thy self

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 15, 2010, 04:02:16 am »

For me, physically cleaning a crystal helps. Running it under water does the trick a lot. Other methods include saging it or passing it through incense or placing it in or under salt/soil.

another method of cleansing a crystal/stone is to leave it in moonlight or sunlight for 24 hours depending on what it is to be used for or what you feel is best for you, it cleanses the stone using the natural energies radiated by the moon and the sun. I use this method as well as placing the stone under running water, cleansing it with my thoughts and the use of flames are all good. it really comes down to what you feel is best for you and what you intend to do.

as for the use of stone versus crystal its up to you, The key to choosing crystals and stones is to use your intuition. Do what feels right to you. You may feel a tingling sensation, a sensation of well being, or warmth when you pick it up this means its right for you. if you walk around a crystal store with what you intend to do with the crystal/stone in your mind you should feel a crystal/stone responding to that. that is my advice/opinion

Shadow Rider
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 15, 2010, 04:07:19 am »

another method of cleansing a crystal/stone is to leave it in moonlight or sunlight for 24 hours depending on what it is to be used for or what you feel is best for you, it cleanses the stone using the natural energies radiated by the moon and the sun. I use this method as well as placing the stone under running water, cleansing it with my thoughts and the use of flames are all good. it really comes down to what you feel is best for you and what you intend to do.

With these methods you have to be careful with the type of stone. Some crystals will fade in the sun and others with get badly damaged if you put water on them, so please always check before you cleanse them. I do speak from experience.....  Roll Eyes

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
sparrow125
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 15, 2010, 01:27:26 pm »

Thanks for your advice everyone!

I know how to give a crystal a certain trait (although I'm still very new at this, lots of learning to do!), but I was wondering how long it holds that. How often do you have to "refresh it", so to speak. I have a rose quarts crystal that I use to promote harmony, but recently it's been feeling... faded? It hasn't been all that long since I first got it, and I guess I thought it would hold my intent for quite a while.

Thanks for the info on cleansing! I actually cleansed this one with salt water! :0 I've heard of putting them in sunlight/moonlight, but under which circumstances do you use those?

As far as rocks go, I was wondering if I could find a rock outside, wash it thoroughly, and use it in some way. I've heard someone on here say that they preferred rocks to crystals, and I wanted to try it out. Do you use them in the same way? How do they feel/react different from crystals?
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 15, 2010, 04:08:12 pm »

I've also read and about and experimented with placing stones on selenite (another stone/crystal), which is said to pull the negativity out and neutralize it.  But I'm not really convinced of that.
YMMV

That's funny, I just picked up a selenite 'worry stone' and couldn't figure out why on earth it was attracting me, and not quartz (which I usually find very soothing)..

I'm in full preggers horomones (poor hubby *evil grin*) and was looking for something to help even out my moods, and of a whole table of great stones, including 3 varieties of quarts, that was what helped. Thanks for mentioning it Smiley

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #10: January 15, 2010, 08:28:24 pm »

As far as rocks go, I was wondering if I could find a rock outside, wash it thoroughly, and use it in some way. I've heard someone on here say that they preferred rocks to crystals, and I wanted to try it out. Do you use them in the same way? How do they feel/react different from crystals?

Crystals ARE rocks.  The difference in form is because of molecular structure.  Some minerals have a very organized structure and others don't.

So, besides the various characteristics of the different minerals, it doesn't really matter whether you're working with a crystal or with a different shape.  You can get a quartz crystal, f'ex, and a quartz tumble, and their characteristics will be the same or very similar.  The biggest difference is that some people find it easier to manage the direction of the energy with crystals.  So, f'ex, a crystal with a point may be better for sending energy in a specific direction because you can use the point to direct it.

There is no reason you can't go outside, find a rock that calls to you, and use it the same way you would use a stone you buy in a store.  It might be helpful to know what mineral(s) you're working with, but it's not essential.  A LOT of "average" rocks have a high quartz content.  In fact, many of the semi-precious stones are varieties of quartz (agates, jaspers, amethyst, citrine, etc.).

Basically, as someone already said (I think in this thread), the best way to work with stones is to experiment.  You'll notice that many of the books give conflicting descriptions of characterisics of various stones.  I think that's because they really vary from person to person.  A good example is hematite.  I know lots of people who love hematite and find it very soothing, and just as many who can't stand it.  Same with malachite.

Also, with hematite, in particular, much of what's out there for sale is actually man-made, especially the magnetic hematite, IIRC.  Some people prefer to work with natural material.  That also plays in with treated stones.  There are a LOT of materials that are dyed, heated, or otherwise treated.  That can affect their characteristics, IMO.  F'ex, most of the citrine that's sold is actually heat-treated amethyst, which is chemically essentially the same mineral as citrine.  (I don't, personally, have a problem with heat-treated citrine, because it's basically the same process that the stone would go through naturally, but speeded up.)  "Crab agate" is an example of a treated and dyed stone.  The "aura" stones are an example of stones that are coated with a material and sometimes otherwise treated, as well. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of creative marketing out there.  If you look at the new age-y sites and the bead store sites, you'll find all sorts of interesting names for stones.  They're basically making up names to boost sales.  Rainbow moonstone is a good example of that, but there are lots of others.  What is currently sold as rainbow moonstone (white base stone, with color play in blue, orange, green, gold, etc.) is almost always actually white labradorite, which is in the same mineral family as moonstone.  "Rainbow moonstone" is a beautiful stone, but it's not moonstone.  So it's characteristics are not the same as true moonstone.

Sorry for the rant.  (It's my geology degree coming back to haunt me.   Cheesy )  I love stones, and I feel strongly that people should understand what they're working with.  I firmly believe that the energies of the stones merge with the energies of the person, and so create unique energies, which is why different people get different results from the same kind of stones.  However, because stones can be very powerful, I think it's really important to be educated about what you're doing.

That's a very long-winded way of saying "keep the questions coming"!   Wink

~MI

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 15, 2010, 08:43:01 pm »

I know how to give a crystal a certain trait (although I'm still very new at this, lots of learning to do!), but I was wondering how long it holds that. How often do you have to "refresh it", so to speak. I have a rose quarts crystal that I use to promote harmony, but recently it's been feeling... faded? It hasn't been all that long since I first got it, and I guess I thought it would hold my intent for quite a while.

If it feels faded, charge it up again. It could be as simple as holding it and visualizing harmony (balanced scales, a yin yang), making up a chant or mantra to repeat while holding the stone (harmony, come to me). Carry it with you and think about the stone and its intended trait throughout the day. Keep it in your pocket (or in your bra - I know it sounds weird, but my friend swears by this method).

sparrow125
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 15, 2010, 09:20:55 pm »

The biggest difference is that some people find it easier to manage the direction of the energy with crystals.  So, f'ex, a crystal with a point may be better for sending energy in a specific direction because you can use the point to direct it.

Ahh, ok, that's pretty much what I was wondering.

Basically, as someone already said (I think in this thread), the best way to work with stones is to experiment. 

I thought they were referring to cleansing. I didn't realize they also meant with intent.  Roll Eyes

Sorry for the rant.  (It's my geology degree coming back to haunt me.   Cheesy

Ha ha, no problem. Rants always have some good stuff in them! Smiley Besides, you obviously have experience in this department, and that's the type that newbies like me like to bug with all our questions!  Cheesy

I love stones, and I feel strongly that people should understand what they're working with.  I firmly believe that the energies of the stones merge with the energies of the person, and so create unique energies, which is why different people get different results from the same kind of stones.  However, because stones can be very powerful, I think it's really important to be educated about what you're doing.

So how can you figure out if a stone is real or man made? What is something you should know about every stone you work with? Since books all seem to have different information on this subject, how can you educate yourself about what you're doing?

That's a very long-winded way of saying "keep the questions coming"!   Wink

Now THAT I can do!  Grin

Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: January 15, 2010, 10:32:54 pm »

So how can you figure out if a stone is real or man made?

Depends on the stone.  With hematite, f'ex, if you rub a raw edge against a ceramic plate, the streak will be red if it's natural hematite.  That's because of the iron content (same reason our blood is red).

Another give-away can be price.  If a stone is selling for much less than it should, it's probably fake.  (Caveat: prices for high quality specimens of some stones, like emeralds, are extremely high -- so you expect to pay a lot for gem quality, transparent, deep color emeralds with no visible inclusions.  However, you can often find lower quality -- but still beautiful -- emeralds for much less.  Those are visually different, though, usually opaque rather than transparent with many inclusions, f'ex.)

Basically, if you want to learn this kind of thing, you need to do your homework.  Books on rocks and minerals -- the geology kind, not the metaphysical kind -- often have this kind of info.  There are a number of websites that focus on mineral characteristics -- again, the geology/mineralogy kind, not the metaphysical kind. 

To be completely clear, IMO, if you want to learn about stones, you need to research *stones*, and that means mineralogy/geology.  I'm not knocking the metaphysical books and sites; they often have useful info about the energies, or at least provide good starting points for working with rock energies.  However, you should take the actual facts about the minerals with a huge grain of salt.  They often make sweeping and incorrect generalizations or are simply wrong.

When I wanted to learn how to identify true moonstone (which is a little more complex than one might think), I hit the internet with very good results.  I think one key with this kind of research is to verify what you learn.  If more than one source has the same info, it's more likely to be true.  And, of course, there's the reputation of the source.  A book on rocks and minerals published by, say, the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History is pretty likely to be accurate, while the info in a random website written by Joe Blow should be verified.

What is something you should know about every stone you work with?

Depends on what you want to do with the stone.  I don't mean to be flip, but you'd want to know different things about a stone you want to set in a ring (like its hardness) than about a stone you want to use as a healing talisman (energetic qualities).

Can you be more specific about what you're asking here?

Since books all seem to have different information on this subject, how can you educate yourself about what you're doing?

The *metaphysical* books often have differing info.  The mineralogy/geology books are usually consistent.

So, if you're asking how to educate yourself about using stones metaphysically, my advice is to use the books as a starting point.  You might look for books that are consistent about basic info.  F'ex, pretty much every crystal book I've read says amethyst is good for healing and clear quartz is a good all-purpose stone that can also be used to "magnify" the energy of other stones.  So, if you find consistent info in several books, it's more likely to be reliable.

That said, keep in mind that this kind of work with stones really hasn't been scientifically researched or proven.  Most of what's out there is based solely on people's experiences with different kinds of stones.  So my advice is to rely most heavily on your own instincts.  If you're looking for a stone to help you increase your energy, f'ex, the books will list a huge variety of stones (many of which are red or orange, which is based primarily on the color correspondence, I think).  But if you go to a rock store (and I like actual rock stores WAY better than "new age" stores that sell rocks -- the prices and selection are usually much better), you might find yourself drawn to something different.  Go with it.  Then see what happens.  Start developing your own experience to draw on.

People here can give you suggestions about what kind of rock might be good for what purpose, and how to use it, and that's a good place to start.  But your own experiences are going to be much more applicable to your own needs.

I hope that made sense.   Cheesy

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:February 29, 2016, 11:06:03 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #14: January 15, 2010, 11:16:52 pm »

Thanks for that!  Another resource is folklore texts concerning stone lore.  Kunz's classic The Curious Lore of Precious Stones is usually cited as a useful compendium.  You might also wish to investigate historical lapidaries/natural histories, for information on how particular cultures viewed various stones; famous examples are portions of Pliny the Elder's Natural History and anonymous texts such as The Old English Lapidary.  Another text you might ind useful is Knuth's Gems in Myth, Legend, and Lore; even though it's from a metaphysical press, it looks to be a solid compendium of the known folklore of a number of stones, and also includes translations of some important early lapidaries.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)