The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 13, 2020, 06:47:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 13, 2020, 06:47:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need Book Recommendations--several categories  (Read 8233 times)
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 18, 2014, 02:07:12 am
United States United States

Religion: Judaism

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Topic Start: January 15, 2010, 10:45:32 am »

Mr.  Sperran has a big backlog of books to order for the public library where he works, and is interested in any suggestions you might have. Priority is placed on recent publications. He orders books that are important, informative, or popular, in the following categories:

Science Fiction and Fantasy
Graphic Novels
Philosophy
Psychology
Religion
Social Sciences (Law, Political Science, Economics, Social problems, etc.)
Technology (medical, engineering, chemical, manufacturing, etc)
Sports and similar recreational activities

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 15, 2010, 07:52:14 pm »

I have no specific titles to suggest, but I'll say that he would do well do order books on the subject of health informatics (also "informatics"), aka Healthcare Information Technology (HIT) for some of the Tech section.

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #2: January 15, 2010, 09:06:51 pm »

I have no specific titles to suggest, but I'll say that he would do well do order books on the subject of health informatics (also "informatics"), aka Healthcare Information Technology (HIT) for some of the Tech section.

Good idea.  I bet a lot of  people would be interested in those areas.
Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 16, 2010, 11:04:25 am »

Graphic Novels
Philosophy
Psychology
Religion

For Psyc - positive psychology is a new-ish area in the field, and is very empowering (far better for people to think about what they can do to improve life than to focus on what might be wrong with themselves). I'm out of date in my material, I'd amazon it and see what's selling well.

Fiction - Jack Whyte

Sci Fi -
Mercedes Lackey Smiley (you've already likely got lots of her, but her new stuff alway seems to move well).
Patricia Briggs is selling well right now
Jim Butcher (both of his series - the Dresden Files and Codex Alera)
Rachael Cain's weather witch series seems to be moving well now too
Prachett always sells well (I know I'm saying sells, but what sells well also seems to fly off the shelf at libraries)

Most archaeology sections at the library could be updated... Fagan is pretty popular, In Small Things Forgotten is a great read, and the Battle That Stopped Rome is an interesting read too. Hope some of that helps? 

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 18, 2010, 07:15:22 pm »

Graphic Novels

OK, here goes nothing:

Sci-fi/Fantasy:
Like Adare said, Pratchett usually flies off the shelves.
You may want to invest in some Neil Gaiman books as well - American Gods was particularly good.
Katharine Kerr's 'Deverry Cycle' (beginning with Daggerspell) is a particularly good series, too.

Graphic Novels:
I may be horribly biased, but I'm going to have to put down 'Sandman' for consideration.  It's Neil Gaiman, so it's very horror-style, but it was very, very good.

Hope that helps Smiley

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Starglade
Adept Member
Last Login:April 02, 2012, 03:07:59 pm

Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
TCN ID: Starglade

Life is a work in progress.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 18, 2010, 08:23:16 pm »

Good idea.  I bet a lot of  people would be interested in those areas.

Good grief. Brain-fry had set in when I typed that response. I meant to give you both spellings: "infomatics" and "informatics." (Personally, I think the former looks idiotic--but that's me.)

And ja, lots of folks will want those, I'm sure. That's the field I'm seriously considering for my Master's, once I finish this BA (a year from now, if all goes well).

The source of all misery in the world lies in thinking of oneself. The source of all happiness lies in thinking of others. -- Shantideva

My public transcript is available for viewing.
http://www.brainbench.com/transcript.jsp?pid=7189853
treekisser
Adept Member
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 05:18:30 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Bajoran

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 19, 2010, 03:27:49 am »

Saw these in the catalogue. Wish I had the money but will settle for vicarious buying.  Wink

The Oxford Guide to United States Supreme Court Decisions (2nd ed) - eds Kermit Hall, James W. Ely Jr (2009)

Our Undemocratic Constitution : Where the Constitution Goes Wrong (And How We the People Can Correct It) - Sanford Levinson (2008)

Who Controls the Internet? : Illusions of a Borderless World - Jack Goldsmith, Tim Wu (2008)

Conquest by Law : How the Discovery of America Dispossessed Indigenous Peoples of Their Lands - Lindsay G. Robertson (2007)

'Whatever such a mind sees is a flower, and whatever such a mind dreams of is the moon.' - Basho
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #7: January 20, 2010, 01:13:47 am »

Saw these in the catalogue. Wish I had the money but will settle for vicarious buying.  Wink

The Oxford Guide to United States Supreme Court Decisions (2nd ed) - eds Kermit Hall, James W. Ely Jr (2009)

Our Undemocratic Constitution : Where the Constitution Goes Wrong (And How We the People Can Correct It) - Sanford Levinson (2008)

Who Controls the Internet? : Illusions of a Borderless World - Jack Goldsmith, Tim Wu (2008)

Conquest by Law : How the Discovery of America Dispossessed Indigenous Peoples of Their Lands - Lindsay G. Robertson (2007)

Coolness, thank you!
Adele
Master Member
Last Login:July 09, 2011, 07:27:54 pm

Religion: Hellenic pagan

Image courtesy of iconomicon

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 21, 2010, 11:55:53 pm »

Mr.  Sperran has a big backlog of books to order for the public library where he works, and is interested in any suggestions you might have. Priority is placed on recent publications. He orders books that are important, informative, or popular, in the following categories:

Graphic Novels
Philosophy
Psychology
Religion

I'll second Jim Butcher and Patricia Briggs and add John Scalzi - The Old Man's War series is great.   Cory Doctrow is pretty good, and there's a new Halo short story anthology (Halo: Evolutions is the title, I believe) that has been pretty popular.

Only graphic novel/manga I've read lately is Oishinbo: A La Carte which is interesting stuff about Japanese culture/food.
I've been reading more YA than anything else recently so I'm woefully behind in what's up in Sci Fi/Fantasy.

"Say what you mean. Bear witness. Iterate."
       -John M. Ford, Making Light comment
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 21, 2010, 11:58:57 pm »

Graphic Novels
American Born Chinese is a great young adult graphic novel. Won the Printz award.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Sperran
Reserve Staff
Staff
High Adept Member

Adonai Echad

Blog entries (8)

« Reply #10: January 22, 2010, 10:03:00 am »

American Born Chinese is a great young adult graphic novel. Won the Printz award.

I've seen that.  That is an interesting one.

Sperran
Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 29, 2010, 03:14:26 pm »

Science Fiction & Fantasy:

Peter Watts.  It's hard to tell from a cursory glance at his website, so here's a brief bibliography:

The Rifters Trilogy which consists of: Starfish; Maelstrom; and Behemoth, which was initially split into 2 volumes (B-Max and Seppuku) but can probably now be found in a single volume, and Blindsight, which was a Hugo nominee in 2007.  He has a sidequel to it coming out called State of Grace, though I'm not sure when it's due out; according to his blog, the contract was just signed.  And he's got an anthology floating around somewhere called 10 Monkeys, 10 Minutes, but I've never been able to get my hands on it.

Kristen Britain

Karrin Lowachee (It's really YA Sci-fi)

Robert J Sawyer, particularly his Neanderthal Parallax.  Totally BA.

Jeff and Ann VanderMeer's anthologies, especially Steampunk and Fast Ships and Black Sails.

And of course I must second Gaiman. Smiley

If he finds it helpful, I'm pretty sure that the guy who orders sci-fi for my library keeps an eye on the awards and orders at least the winner, and often the nominees (I suspect that's how we wound up with Blindsight).  We had Windup Girl and Boneshaker within a few weeks of the Hugo announcements.

Graphic Novels:

The Y: The Last Man series was really good, and is pretty popular. 

Anything by Alan Moore will be pretty briskly circulated.

With Sci-fi and GN, though, the coolest thing he could do for the patrons is go through and see how many series are missing one or 2 books and fill them in.  Nothing sucks quite so much as having started a series at the library and realizing partway through that it's missing one.

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 30, 2010, 10:26:34 pm »

The newer books by Eric Flint, David Weber, John Ringo. All good sellers. I've really liked the work I've seen put out by Tom Kratman, but he's not a top seller yet.

Pyperlie
Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:45:31 pm

Religion: Agnostic

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: May 30, 2010, 11:32:21 pm »

Ohohoh, I totally forgot...

David Gerrold, especially his Dingilliad.  It's a trilogy that's reminiscent of a Heinlein juvenile, if more nuanced.  Although his Star Wolf series was interesting, too.

Kim Stanley Robinson, who totally rocks out loud and wrote The Mars Trilogy , as well as a follow-up anthology called The Martians (which was ok, but not something I'd read again, unlike the trilogy itself).

Richard K Morgan is pretty popular, and although I didn't really care for it (the sex scenes are pretty piss-poor, and the stories start to drag about 1/3 of the way through), I bet it would fly off the shelves once people knew it was there.

Except for her recent PoS, Nancy Kress is pretty cool.  Her Beggars in Spain series was a little bit trippy at times, but interesting.

And Jim Butcher's Dresden Files are fantastic, on the off chance they don't already have them.

And Emma Bull, and her husband Will Shetterly, are awesome.  They were writing Urban Fantasy (separately, usually) back when the city was one of the characters (see EB's War for the Oaks), before it was violated by the romance genre.  They wrote the only novels in Terri Windling's Borderlands series (which he should totally get if he's allowed to buy used, although in 2011 a new anthology, Welcome to Bordertown, is supposed to come out, so maybe he could look into getting that down the road), and WS did a really fascinating little book called Chimera, which took place in a world that was cyberpunk, but had a unique feel to it.

Really, if he just wants to let me do the sci-fi book shopping for him... Cheesy

~~~Pyperlie<^>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Is no one inspired by our present picture of the universe? Our poets do not write about it; our artists do not try to portray this remarkable thing. The value of science remains unsung by singers: you are reduced to hearing not a song or poem, but an evening lecture about it. This is not yet a scientific age."
              -----Richard Feynman

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
               ----Sarah Williams
Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: July 19, 2010, 03:40:30 am »

Graphic Novels

Graphic novels! Only my first love (but now we're just really good friends).

American:
Fables by Bill Willingham and assorted artists, I think this series has won about 12 eisner awards by now.
Persepolis, they made an independent cartoon out of it.
anything by Alan Moore

Manga: (most you can find scanned in and translated online although illegally.)
Fullmetal Alchemist, Funimation is practically printing money with this series. It's been going for a while but is still very good. Correction the series just ended. Doesn't have much to do with alchemy in the actual sense. Action, Comedy, Conspiracy
Azumang Daiho, collection of 4 panel comics about a group of highschool girls but so funny.
Hellsing by Kohta Hirano, about vampires and really violent and bloody but was a cult hit in the last ten years or so.
Deathnote, good conspiracy and mind game series and international hit.
Black Jack, most things by Osamu Tezuka are a good bet. Sci Fi plus unlicensed doctor and amazingly current in some places for being written in the 70's.
Dororo, again by Tezuka. Think horror, coming of age in warring states era japan plus fighting demons to regain body parts stolen at infancy. Yeah weird.
Claymore by Norihiro Yagi, all female action, not an excuse for lots of panty shots of female warriors for once. Appeals to male and female readers.
Skip Beat, very funny romantic comedy about a girl who is used by her ex and swears to never love again and get revenge by beating him in showbiz but the latest installments are getting very filler like.
Nana by Ai Yazawa, drama, romance, and Josei which means geared to girls in late teens and adult women about two girls named Nana.
Lone Wolf and Cub, samurai style action. Honorable refugee ronin and his toddler son running from the Shogun and his minions. Very very classic.

If you have time...
American:
Mouse Guard, it's cute in that it's sort of medieval action adventure with mice but nothing really deep.
Shortcomings, I thought it was boring but a lot of people seem to like it so I thought I'd mention it. Asian American themed slice of life.

Manga:
Monster by Naoki Urasawa, heard it was good and addictive but haven't had the time to read it so I'm tentatively suggesting it. Conspiracy story.
Berserk by Kentaro Miura, also haven't read it but heard it was amazing.
Hikaru no Go, who knew the board game Go when combined with kids trying to achieve their dreams could be so intense.
Blade of the Immortal by Hiroaki Samura, also heard was amazing but haven't read.
Akira, haven't read it but the generation of manga fans in their 30-40 seems to like it and was supposedly a milestone.
Naruto, super popular but no depth past 2nd or 3rd volume.
Bleach, super popular was good in the beginning and had lots of attitude but got formulaic.
20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa, didn't read, heard it was mind blowing. Mystery.

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)