The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 03, 2020, 04:52:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2020, 04:52:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need Book Recommendations--several categories  (Read 8224 times)
Nimue
Master Member
Last Login:May 09, 2011, 10:31:43 pm
United States United States

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: July 19, 2010, 12:54:17 pm »

Mr.  Sperran has a big backlog of books to order for the public library where he works, and is interested in any suggestions you might have. Priority is placed on recent publications. He orders books that are important, informative, or popular, in the following categories:

Religion

For my religious studies class, we had to read these three, and I thought they were very good:
"When Faiths Collide" by Martin E. Marty
"America and the Challenges of Religious Diversity" by Robert Wuthnow
"Interfaith Encounters in America" by Kate McCarthy

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Petrichor
Journeyman
Last Login:November 21, 2010, 12:14:10 am
United States United States

Religion: Spiritual aka I'm figuring it out

If you're reading this then I am no longer lurking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: July 19, 2010, 07:20:48 pm »

Mr.  Sperran has a big backlog of books to order for the public library where he works, and is interested in any suggestions you might have. Priority is placed on recent publications. He orders books that are important, informative, or popular, in the following categories:

Science Fiction and Fantasy
Graphic Novels
Philosophy
Psychology
Religion
Social Sciences (Law, Political Science, Economics, Social problems, etc.)
Technology (medical, engineering, chemical, manufacturing, etc)
Sports and similar recreational activities

I realized sort of belatedly that you want these suggestions for a library rather then yourself so that means that you probably know about most of the books I mentioned already. I guess I got so excited about getting to recommend graphic novels I didn't really read things through very carefully. So here are some less well known suggestions.

Graphic Novels
Hero Tales by Hiromu Arakawa, this is the newest series by the author of Fullmetal Alchemist.
Emma by Kaoru Mori, um the heart warming tale of an english maid? Fans of the newest pride and prejudice will probably like this series even though it has nothing to do with Jane Austen's Emma.
Black Butler by Yana Toboso, pretty popular and was the it manga about two years ago and up until about 6 months ago. Involves demons disguised as butlers, mysterious noble investigators in a Victorian England like setting, and really good costume design.
With the Light by Keiko Tobe, about raising an autistic child.
Dramacon by Svetlana Chmakova, one of the more popular amerimanga and takes place at an anime convention.

Fantasy
Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik, sort of a what-if there were dragons during the Napoleonic wars. The thing I like best about this series is that the dragons aren't just talking lizards. They have their own personalities, goals, values, and thought processes unique from that of humans.
Sweetblood by Pete Hautman, a fiction coming of age about a diabetic goth girl coming to terms with her diabetes. She has an interesting theory about how vampire myths are based on untreated diabetics.
White Cat by Holly Black, the first book of Black's newest series about magic users, con men, and the Russian mafia.
The Poison Eaters by Holly Black, short story anthology.

Engineering/Architecture
Tree House Living 50 Innovative Designs by Alain Laurens, Daniel Dufour, Ghislain Andre, and La Cabane Perchee. A cool coffee table book with photos of a lot of tree houses built by the La Cabane Perchee company.

Life is dangerous, no one gets out alive.
darkwhispersdale
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:March 10, 2013, 03:41:49 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: March 06, 2011, 05:16:06 pm »

Science Fiction and Fantasy
Graphic Novels
Philosophy
Psychology
Religion
Social Sciences (Law, Political Science, Economics, Social problems, etc.)
Technology (medical, engineering, chemical, manufacturing, etc)
Sports and similar recreational activities

Philosophy
Anything by AC Grayling

Psychology
Oliver Sacks

No Science Section?
Professor Brain Cox currently in the queue at my local library for his stuff

Manga
Death Note series they don't stay on the shelves for long in my local library

For what purpose humanity is there should not even concern us: why you are there, that you should ask yourself: and if you have no ready answer, then set for yourself goals, high and noble goals, and perish in pursuit of them! I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible...

- Nietzsche, unpublished note from 1873

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)