The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 19, 2020, 11:35:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2020, 11:35:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Worshipping deities from two different pantheons - Celtic and Hellenic  (Read 7980 times)
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 17, 2010, 03:25:21 pm »

like I mentioned, most of the Hellenic Reconstructionists I've communicated with happen to be followers of Hellenismos, that have said in some instances worshipping a foreign deity would have been illegal in Greece

[snip]

Whether the national requirements were a part of the traditional religion, or not,

Thing is, what was common historically varied wildly depending on the time and place, and there were generally more exceptions than there were rules. Certainly there was no concept of 'national requirements' in a modern sense. Some demoi (most notably Athens) did have oodles of regulations (that they changed to suit their convenience) about when and how civic festivals were celebrated. And the process to 'adopt' a foreign deity was long and complicated and full of politics (see Garland's Introducting New Gods) but there was never One True Pantheon or One True Greek Religion in the ancient Greek world. There wasn't even one "Greece".

So most followers of Hellenismos (outside of very nationalist groups) would be very reluctant to espouse the opinions you're relating here.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am
United States United States

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 17, 2010, 05:19:47 pm »

It's been said, but I'd just like to reiterate that no, I will not be "combining" pantheons. While I do not have a shrine or altar for Apollo, I can use my bag as an example. I have a small drawstring bag, small enough to fit in most pockets, inside of which I keep small tokens for Manannan, Rhiannon, and Airmid. I find it helps me to have that tangible something, especially since things like praying are very, very new to me. It helps keep me focused and centered when I pray, and I feel that improves my ability to communicate and my openness if They wish to respond. I do not keep a token for Apollo inside this bag. Likewise, an altar would be kept separate from my Celtic altar.

On the subject of Recons...more power to them, but no Recon religion sits well with me personally. I agree with honoring a culture and worshiping their deities in appropriate cultural contexts, but I also feel that culture is fluid and, as has been said, cultures intermingle with others. I don't agree with the rigidity that I'm feeling at least from CR. Part of that might come from my Unitarian upbringing, though! Not a very rigid group!  Grin

My intent is simple - I want to worship a Hellenic God in an appropriate context, separate from my worship of Celtic Gods. I do not believe in cultural purity but believe cultural context is important, especially when working with such ancient Gods and Goddesses. And I'm nervous because Hellenic worship is brand new territory and I'm a bumbling newbie.

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 17, 2010, 05:30:33 pm »

I can understand that - personally I've had to do a lot of education when I introduce myself as Pagan, both to recons and Wiccans alike, which gets annoying the dozenth time it happens. I guess I just take a very literal interpretation of the phrase - I'm a New Pagan who follows the old gods in new ways.

I'm actually very hesitant to label myself as "pagan" when people ask. Most of my family is Lutheran; my parents are already the odd-ones-out for abandoning Lutheranism for Unitarianism and not baptizing their kids. My views and interpretations of the Gods are very much in line with Unitarian thought, and so when a label is asked for, I say Unitarian, and it may sound like I'm hiding behind it but I'm actually very proud to be Unitarian. But I also understand that my beliefs are indeed very pagan, and when you say Unitarian people think you don't really believe in anything, which gets frustrating. (the phrase "Polytheistic Unitarian Universalist" jumps to mind...hmmm...)

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge
fiamma
Master Member
Last Login:May 17, 2012, 04:14:28 pm

Religion: Devotee of Apollo/Hellenic Polytheist

...I'm playing with fire and not getting burned...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 18, 2010, 12:33:43 am »

So most followers of Hellenismos (outside of very nationalist groups) would be very reluctant to espouse the opinions you're relating here.

At risk of inappropriate discussion here....

I know who UlsterYank is referring to and there is a particular hand full of Hellenic recons who rather, er, enthusiastically try to enforce a very specific idea of what Hellenic reconstructionism is- basically boils down to if it's not from classical-era Athens, it doesn't count. I'm not sure I'd call them nationalist- they're mostly here in the states, but they definitely do seem to have a thing about cultural purity.

Memories of Pain and Light
http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
You, I cannot worship by halves.
UlsterYank
Master Member
Last Login:January 21, 2013, 02:18:03 pm
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Religion: Traidisiúnachais Gaelach, Witchcraft, Thelema
TCN ID: UlsterYank

Déan mar is Toil leat, a bheas mar iomlán an Dlí

Blog entries (0)

anmericeanach

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 18, 2010, 12:47:47 am »

I think it's less about how UlsterYank is defining Neo-Paganism, and how some reconstructionists do. I can't speak for his acquaintances/friends, but I know there are several Gaelic Recon/Revivalist groups that very emphatically do not identify as pagan, and strive to disassociate themselves from anything related to Neo-Paganism (which I think some use as interchangeable with Neo-Wiccan).
Yes, that pretty much sums it up. And cheers for the links, go raibh míle maith agat, is file agus scoláire tú  Wink......

I personally don't make the distinction, unless one chooses to identify with the terms, and "technically", even though certain groups disassociate with the terms due to differences in practices and stereotypes associated with neo-wicca and the New Age Movement, Reconstructionism is still a path covered under the Neo-Pagan umbrella, if one recognises the term. (According to Wiki) 

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains" AL II:9
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 08, 2020, 10:47:08 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: January 18, 2010, 08:19:15 am »

I'm not sure I'd call them nationalist- they're mostly here in the states, but they definitely do seem to have a thing about cultural purity.

I call them Hellenic fundies -- and have done so to them in the past.  Fortunately, their group never really got much traction beyond its (very loud) founders.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 18, 2010, 10:54:11 am »

I'm curious if anyone else worships deities from two different pantheons, if anyone worships both Celtic and Hellenic deities specifically, and how to avoid falling into the "fluffy bunny-eclectic pagan" boat.

I'm devoted to a personal thematic pantheon with deities from multiple cultures, two of which are Greek and Irish Celtic. In a lot of cases, I offer to deities separately, but I'm beginning to do more work with the pantheon as a whole. Some of the cultures were historically in contact, like the Greeks and Egyptians. I also think (total UPG) that some gods are aware of each other across pantheons.

I think other people covered "how not to be fluffy well" - accurate information. Direct experience and UPG are good too as long as you're honest with yourself and honest about labeling them as UPG.

Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 18, 2010, 11:35:09 am »

Reconstructionism is still a path covered under the Neo-Pagan umbrella, if one recognises the term. (According to Wiki) 

Not so much a "path" as a structural approach/methodology, but that useage is fairly widespread (if inaccurate, imo).
Caroline
Master Member
Canada Canada

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #23: January 18, 2010, 11:38:22 am »

At risk of inappropriate discussion here....

I know who UlsterYank is referring to and there is a particular hand full of Hellenic recons who rather, er, enthusiastically try to enforce a very specific idea of what Hellenic reconstructionism is- basically boils down to if it's not from classical-era Athens, it doesn't count. I'm not sure I'd call them nationalist- they're mostly here in the states, but they definitely do seem to have a thing about cultural purity.

I suspected who was being spoken of and I was trying to be polite Wink  Nationalist and cultural purity are often entwined, to no good end, but that's another discussion.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)