The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 26, 2022, 10:17:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2022, 10:17:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me about your encounters with artemis  (Read 12640 times)
summerwind
Apprentice
Last Login:March 25, 2011, 09:41:05 pm
United States United States

Religion: wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 18, 2010, 02:02:15 am »

Mine was exceedingly weird to say the least!! I communicate in meditation. Anyway, she seemed to have a huge sense of humor, was throwing rocks into a fire, and odd metaphors and riddles to me. most involving picking something from the top of a tree for some reason. I don't want to go into the details, but what are your personal impressions of artemis if you have communicated with her?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 18, 2010, 08:38:27 am »

Mine was exceedingly weird to say the least!! I communicate in meditation. Anyway, she seemed to have a huge sense of humor, was throwing rocks into a fire, and odd metaphors and riddles to me. most involving picking something from the top of a tree for some reason. I don't want to go into the details, but what are your personal impressions of artemis if you have communicated with her?

Artemis and I have always been on, shall we say... touchy terms. It's probably because in my experience with the fluffiest of fluffs, I've seen Artemis and/or Diana turned into a Great Mother Goddess Of Witchcraft And Magick And Womyn. (Which sounds like they tried to duct tape Gaia or Demeter to Hekate, but I digress.) Anywho, I got all these bad associations with her, and instead of an invitation to actually get to know Artemis, my intuition basically told me to stay the hell away.

The one time Artemis has ever popped up was during a meditation, completely randomly, in a series with other goddesses. She appeared dressed in similar clothes as you would imagine, say, Robin Hood wearing... except a lot of it was leather, and camo. Huuuuuge black boots, and she was leaning back in a chair with her feet propped up on a table, with a humongous bow beside her seat. (At this point, I'm wondering what kind of drugs are in my new incense blend.) She looks right at me and goes, "You know, you don't know me any better than those idiots." I can't remember my exact reply - probably a very sheepish "Yes'm" and "please don't shoot me" - but she didn't stay for long.

I still have a very strong inclination not to work with her. This may be something that mellows out with time, or we may just do the polite nodding-at-each-other-from-a-distance thing for awhile. Pan and I were at a similar state (he was the Great Father God Of Something Or Other), and he claimed me as my patron. We act like bickering siblings.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Last Login:January 02, 2013, 06:41:55 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: polytheistic witch leaning towards Reclaiming
TCN ID: Waldfrau

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 18, 2010, 10:28:34 am »

I find her rather direct. Often too direct for me. Whenever I question why I should do something, she gives one-sentence-answers. Some things have seemed like riddles to me, but not because she intented them to be, rather because she wouldn't give me the kind of empathic wishy washy explanation I had prefered to the harsh truth. She doesn't seem to want to wrap her mind around complicated thinking. You know, the way you can intellectually analyse around a problem. Roll Eyes She's not the one following you there, but rather expecting you to communicate on her terms.

That has been my experience, but I think every human-deity relationship is as much shaped of the human personality than the deity's.

My blog: http://waldhexe.wordpress.com/ (English and German entries)
Caroline
Master Member
Last Login:October 07, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 18, 2010, 04:12:43 pm »

Artemis is an extremely complicated goddess, but ultimately I agree with Waldfrau: very direct. Challenging. Unforgiving of disrespect. Impatient with stupidity and weakness. She can be kind and merciful, but it is the mercy that rips the bandage off fast or puts you out of your misery, not a mercy that commiserates or is particularly comforting. A demanding teacher and companion, a no-nonsense, even harsh, mother/provider. Red in claw and tooth, that's Artemis.

Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 19, 2010, 05:10:21 am »

She can be kind and merciful, but it is the mercy that rips the bandage off fast or puts you out of your misery, not a mercy that commiserates or is particularly comforting.
Very well put. If asked for help, she's the kind of healer who just grabs you firmly and cuts out the problem with a sharp knife in the other hand regardless of how much you wince and whine. Brutal, but quick and effective. That's her kind of merci. That's the hunter shooting ill animals for the benefit of the whole forest.

monsnoleedra
Journeyman
Last Login:July 24, 2011, 06:48:39 am

Religion: Shamanic & Hedgewitch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: June 01, 2011, 10:55:05 am »

My earliest encounter with Artemis occured when I was abt 8 or 9 years of age.  I was on a mountain trail in a national park when I rounded a corner and came face to face with a young doe I think it was.  Being that it was off season though it could have been an antlerless buck.  Anyway we stood there looking at one another when I heard "I am Artemis and you are mine!"  How long we stood there I really do not know but it lasted until another came around the trail making a lot of noise.

Years later I would encounter her in dream time.  We stood high upon a mountain ridge and she stood there with this giant stag near her.  For some time we just stood there are looked out over the mountains and surrounding valleys.  Then she had me climb onto the stag behind her and we took off over the mountains.

When I was on a med float I kept having dreams of the various persona's she has taken.  While we sailed towards the Bosphurs she appeared to me in the guise of the Ephesian Artemis and spoke to me of that persona.  While we were down near Sparta she appeared to me as the Orthian Artemis.  Near Athens I saw her as the Athenia and Barungian (sp) Artemis and was introduced to the Arketia.  When we entered the Black Sea I dreampt of her in her Taurian persona.

As I stated elsewhere there was the issue of puschasing a statue in Korfu (Corfu) when she plaining told me that the statue was of the Roman Diana not her.

As a goddess she was very much present in my youth and early adulthood.  She stepped away somewhat in the years of my military service but re-entered as my military career was winding down and I transistioned back to the civilian world.
Nyktipolos
Adept Member
Last Login:August 29, 2014, 09:54:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Path of the Nightwanderer (Polytheist)

Gravatar

"Language is like wine upon the lips."

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #6: June 01, 2011, 08:33:57 pm »

I haven't encountered her directly, nor have I ever really done stuff for Her (beyond when I was into a very fluffy version of Wicca and I wrote a poem and it involved Her and it will NEVER see the light of day), but I do know that Bibliotheca Alexandrina, the publishing "company" (for lack of a better word) of Neos Alexandria, put out a devotional anthology a couple years ago called Unbound (http://neosalexandria.org/bibliotheca-alexandrina/unbound-a-devotional-anthology-for-artemis/), with most of the entries having been written by followers of Hers.

The Night Wanderer's Path <3
“God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain,
but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.”
NyteShaed
Journeyman
Last Login:June 24, 2011, 10:55:38 am

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: June 01, 2011, 11:17:16 pm »

Artemis and I have always been on, shall we say... touchy terms. It's probably because in my experience with the fluffiest of fluffs, I've seen Artemis and/or Diana turned into a Great Mother Goddess Of Witchcraft And Magick And Womyn. (Which sounds like they tried to duct tape Gaia or Demeter to Hekate, but I digress.) Anywho, I got all these bad associations with her, and instead of an invitation to actually get to know Artemis, my intuition basically told me to stay the hell away.

The one time Artemis has ever popped up was during a meditation, completely randomly, in a series with other goddesses. She appeared dressed in similar clothes as you would imagine, say, Robin Hood wearing... except a lot of it was leather, and camo. Huuuuuge black boots, and she was leaning back in a chair with her feet propped up on a table, with a humongous bow beside her seat. (At this point, I'm wondering what kind of drugs are in my new incense blend.) She looks right at me and goes, "You know, you don't know me any better than those idiots." I can't remember my exact reply - probably a very sheepish "Yes'm" and "please don't shoot me" - but she didn't stay for long.

I still have a very strong inclination not to work with her. This may be something that mellows out with time, or we may just do the polite nodding-at-each-other-from-a-distance thing for awhile. Pan and I were at a similar state (he was the Great Father God Of Something Or Other), and he claimed me as my patron. We act like bickering siblings.

Artemis isn't a mother, she's a maiden.  That's one of the central things about her.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: June 01, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »

Artemis isn't a mother, she's a maiden.  That's one of the central things about her.

If you'll notice, I wasn't talking about my own perceptions of Artemis, but rather others'. I know Greek mythology both from personal interest and archaeology/Classics classes, so I am fully aware of Artemis' virgin status in the myths. In this thread a year and a half ago, I was remarking on not liking the role and persona some people had shoved Artemis into, which in a way has helped sour Her and I's relationship. (I know Artemis is not the Fluffy Moon Goddess she is made out to be in some circles, but the few interactions I've had with her one-on-one do not make me more inclined to get to know her, anyway.)

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Waldfrau
High Adept Member
Germany Germany

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #9: June 02, 2011, 04:31:15 am »

Neos Alexandria, put out a devotional anthology a couple years ago called Unbound (http://neosalexandria.org/bibliotheca-alexandrina/unbound-a-devotional-anthology-for-artemis/), with most of the entries having been written by followers of Hers.
I have that and like it. It has lots of poems, stories and experience reports written by devotees, so it's quite inspiring.

Arcadia
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:September 11, 2020, 08:06:58 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Polytheist, dedicated to Artemis, Dionysus, Aurora.
TCN ID: Arcadia

Guided be the hand and mind

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: June 02, 2011, 07:18:34 am »

My thoughts run along the same lines with what others have said here and in other threads...
Huge sense of humour, quirky, easily angered, but forgiving. Complicated.... very. Multifaceted.
I have seen her in a vision in her short tunic and boots, bounding or bouncing across the sky and clouds laughing... very strange  Cheesy

I have been told by her I belong to her. Simple as that. No arguments.

The most interesting and educational encounter I had with her was when she came to me at a time when I was having particular trouble with my young children. They are both Autistic and I was finding discipline and coping with their behaviour incredibly emotional and difficult. I called out to the Gods for help. She was not whom I expected to answer. I did not associate her with mothers, or children or anything maternal.  But as she explained she helps mothers of children and offered to help me discipline and nurture myself and my in turn my children. I later read her myths more closely and saw that she has a role as protector of mothers and aids mothers giving birth. This was a very eye opening experience and taught me a lot about another side of her I had not known existed, nor understood.

monsnoleedra
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: June 02, 2011, 07:49:20 am »

That's not entirely true.  Only the Olympian persona is a pre-pubscent maiden in form and character.  As Agrotera it doesn't really say though she is the huntress in that form.  Her Taurin - Athenian - Orthian forms are much different than her Olympian persona and is not seen as the pre-pubscent maiden, especially indicated in the placement of the knot in her garments.  In her Arcadian persona she is clearly an older woman and speculated as possibly a mother form to the nymphs she is associated with.  In her Ephesian form she is clearly identified with fertility and fecundity of land and herds and does not retain a maiden form as again her knot is that of a woman.
monsnoleedra
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: June 02, 2011, 07:55:18 am »

If you'll notice, I wasn't talking about my own perceptions of Artemis, but rather others'. I know Greek mythology both from personal interest and archaeology/Classics classes, so I am fully aware of Artemis' virgin status in the myths. ..

But then I would assume you'd know that "Virgin" as used then is not the same as applied today.  Today it is associated to a person that is unknown to sexual union yet it is pretty certain that "Virgin" in the archaic context was more aligned to not married or bound but had nothing to do with not being sexualy active or chaste.
monsnoleedra
Journeyman

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: June 02, 2011, 08:04:47 am »

..The most interesting and educational encounter I had with her was when she came to me at a time when I was having particular trouble with my young children. They are both Autistic and I was finding discipline and coping with their behaviour incredibly emotional and difficult. I called out to the Gods for help. She was not whom I expected to answer. I did not associate her with mothers, or children or anything maternal.  But as she explained she helps mothers of children and offered to help me discipline and nurture myself and my in turn my children. I later read her myths more closely and saw that she has a role as protector of mothers and aids mothers giving birth. This was a very eye opening experience and taught me a lot about another side of her I had not known existed, nor understood. 

What I find interesting is that in her Olympian persona she refuses association to women who have come to the age of marriage, also associated to the onset of their menstural cycle.  At her sancturay at Barungia (sp) one ritual of significance was that of stepping away from Artemis through the sacrifice of their childhood things to her.  One of the reasons her Arketia left her service about the age of 13.  After marriage or menstural cycle they would go to Demeter or Hera.  Though a woman beyond her child bearing age might return to her service.

As it was also a birthing sanctuary she was called upon to watch over the birthing mother and aid in the passage of birth as she did for her mother.  Yet also realized that her silver bolts would be called forth to end life quickly and painlessly.

Sort of ironic I suppose but the Olympian persona is the most referenced yet it is in her other personas that she stands as the caring mother figure but less well known, specifically that of the Ephesian Artemis or Orthian Artemis.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: June 02, 2011, 09:35:51 am »

But then I would assume you'd know that "Virgin" as used then is not the same as applied today.  Today it is associated to a person that is unknown to sexual union yet it is pretty certain that "Virgin" in the archaic context was more aligned to not married or bound but had nothing to do with not being sexualy active or chaste.

Yes, I know that as well.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)