The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 12:28:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 12:28:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: Randall's Computer Dead as a Doornail. Help Needed.  (Read 25467 times)
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am
United States United States

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Topic Start: January 20, 2010, 06:13:19 pm »

Most of you may remember that Lyric's computer died last August and it took us four months to come up with the money to get a new motherboard for it (Cancer bills do that to you). My computer (which is older that Lyric's) died last night and does not seem to be fixable. A new motherboard would not cut it as even the older motherboards like the P4 2.8 ghz board we got for Lyric would not work with any of my cards or even my hard drive. I'm not quite sure what I will do as without a computer, I can't even do maintainence on this board and web site. The spare (a laptop, 400mhz celeron 256 megs memory, designed for Win98) we have will not even run the software I need to maintain the site.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:03:20 pm by RandallS, Reason: Subject changed » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 20, 2010, 10:00:21 pm »

After discussing this, Lyric and I have decided that we are probably going to have "new computer donation drive" to buy a new low end machine. If we don't, the board and website will likely go down in a few weeks or months do to our inability to maintain it.  This will not be for a $1500 high end gaming rig or something but for a cheap emachines home system. We had to have to do this, but cancer without health insurance has left us with no money, no credit, and a huge pile of bills -- and a forum that we've ran since 1997 that needs a lot of work.  I'll have some type of formal announcement tomorrow, but here a "New Computer" Donation button.  Donations of $25 or more will get the spell files and donations of $50 or more will get the spell files and a numerology reading. These are optional -- if for some reason you don't want them just say so in the comments. All donors will get a special badge for TC that will appear in your posts (but I may not be able to create this until I have a new machine).

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:50:46 pm by RandallS, Reason: Button should work now » Logged

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 20, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »

I'm getting a pop-up saying "Are you sure you want to do that?" and then it redirects me to an error page: "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: January 20, 2010, 10:54:43 pm »

I'm getting a pop-up saying "Are you sure you want to do that?" and then it redirects me to an error page: "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

How very weird. I did some editting and it seems to work now, for me. But I could have swore it worked for me when I previewed it the first time. Perhaps there is some difference between preview and the final post? Apologies for whatever the problem was. 

If someone could click on the button (even if you don't want to donate) and confirm that it takes you to paypal New Computer Donation page and not to some weird error page on our site, I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

Randall
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 20, 2010, 10:57:42 pm »

It worked this time! I hope you can get a new computer soon- I know how rough it is without one.

RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: January 20, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »

It worked this time!

Good. That was very weird.

I hope you can get a new computer soon- I know how rough it is without one.

Especially since Lyric and I can't share well. I need a computer for hours on end to work on web pages and the like while Lyric uses it 5 minutes here, then 10 minutes there while waiting for food to cook, etc. Trying to share while her machine was down nearly ended our marriage. Sad

Randall
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 20, 2010, 11:15:50 pm »

I couldn't give much, but I hope it helps!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Morag
Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2019, 05:54:45 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: NeoCeltic Feri/Reclaimingesque HearthWitchery
TCN ID: morag

So much more than a pretty girl.

Blog entries (0)

maitressekatje honeyfeather honeyfeather

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 21, 2010, 05:08:04 am »

Gave as much as I could. Hope it helps. Smiley

Read Bellica here!
Innocence and Immanence

"i am not an angry girl, but it seems like i've got everyone fooled -- every time i say something they find hard to hear they chalk it up to my anger and never to their own fear. and imagine you're a girl, just trying to finally come clean, knowing full well they'd prefer you were dirty and smiling."
--Ani DiFranco, Not a Pretty Girl.
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 21, 2010, 05:10:47 am »

Gave what I could-hope that you get a new PC soon!

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #9: January 21, 2010, 08:10:46 am »

Thanks to everyone who has given thus far.  We still have a long way to go, but it is a very good start. Thank you very much.

I will reply individually (with links to spells and such as appropriate) once I get an email program up and working on this temporary computer. And I can't do that until we can take Lyric's machine apart to put my old hard drive in it so I can get email and such (like email passwords) off it. That probably will not be today as Elvis has a vet appointment -- his coughing and wheezing have returned.

Randall
Juni
Adept Member

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 21, 2010, 09:41:23 am »

(((((Randall, Lyric & Elvis))))) When it rains it pours.  Undecided

LyricFox
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:September 04, 2011, 02:39:11 pm

Religion: Lapsed Hellenic Reconstructionist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: January 21, 2010, 10:24:13 am »

(((((Randall, Lyric & Elvis))))) When it rains it pours.  Undecided

I'm pretty sure I'll be updating Elvis' blog after lunch. He's not anywhere near as bad as he was that time in early December, but you can definitely tell that coming off the Prednisone has aggravated his wheezing/coughing. The thing is, Dr. Walthall wants to treat the adult heartworms, but that's going to be dependent on him doing well in the coughing department. What I told Randall last night is that if I had to make a choice between treating his heartworm infestation or treating his cough/wheeze with Pred, I'd choose the steroid. Yes, his life will be shortened, but no one ever thought he'd live long enough or do well enough to even have the heartworm treatment as an option.

Visit The Breast Cancer Site & Click to fund free Mammograms
Hosts' Store: Doxy's Bazaar (w/Pagan Items)
Need Web Hosting? See The Cheap Web Hosting Report
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 21, 2010, 10:29:22 am »

Elvis has a vet appointment -- his coughing and wheezing have returned.

((((Randall, Lyric and Elvis))))  I hope you guys find a good solution for him; poor puppy!  Sad

And as for computer stuff, as soon as I get home and take a glance at my bank account, I'll be sure to send what I can.

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: January 21, 2010, 02:01:35 pm »

((((Randall, Lyric and Elvis))))  I hope you guys find a good solution for him; poor puppy!  Sad

Dr Walthall was actually pleased with his progress (as his weight is up and it is real weight not water). We have lots more pills, of course.

And as for computer stuff, as soon as I get home and take a glance at my bank account, I'll be sure to send what I can.

Thank you. We are at about 20% or so what what we need (after paypal fees) now,  On think Paypal may be down a bit this afternoon.  I git this message when I checked in this morning: "Pardon our virtual dust. We're hammering out some improvements to our site, so parts of PayPal.com won't be available from 5:00 PM CST to 9:00 PM CST." I don't know if this will affect ability to donate, but if it does, you'll at least know why.

Randall
Finn
High Adept Member
Last Login:December 22, 2013, 02:30:14 pm

Religion: An Seanchas Fior
TCN ID: Finn

The world is quiet here.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 21, 2010, 02:06:56 pm »

Dr Walthall was actually pleased with his progress (as his weight is up and it is real weight not water). We have lots more pills, of course.

That's great to hear!

"Pardon our virtual dust. We're hammering out some improvements to our site, so parts of PayPal.com won't be available from 5:00 PM CST to 9:00 PM CST."

That's also good to know. Thanks!

Fight evil: read books.

My Spiritual Blog: An Seanchas Fior
My Personal Blog: An Seanchas Finn

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)