The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 03, 2020, 11:38:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 03, 2020, 11:38:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ADMIN: Randall's Computer Dead as a Doornail. Help Needed.  (Read 25464 times)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #75: January 24, 2010, 09:14:54 am »

When I say it it's like the world stops and everyone around me is left not knowing whether to laugh or to faint. Of course, this is from some-one whose default response to shock is a ridiculous-sounding 'oh my!'.

I never learned how to swear properly.  I can do it if I rehearse a little in my head first, but spontaneous utterances always come out sounding like somebody's Victorian grandmother.

Absent
hahaha!!! I'm probably the same way... but for me it depends on the crowd. I would feel soooo awkward swearing in front of my parents, but do it without a second thought with friends. I don't know... I even feel uncomfortable hearing friends swear in front of their parents. I was just raised that it was disrespectful. I know my parents swear, and they know I do, we just don't often do it in front of each other. lol.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #76: January 24, 2010, 09:49:08 am »

hahaha!!! I'm probably the same way... but for me it depends on the crowd. I would feel soooo awkward swearing in front of my parents, but do it without a second thought with friends. I don't know... I even feel uncomfortable hearing friends swear in front of their parents. I was just raised that it was disrespectful. I know my parents swear, and they know I do, we just don't often do it in front of each other. lol.

I've gotten the bad habit of swearing like a sailor. Been like that for years, but it got worse when I worked at the sorority. The first time I heard my Dad say fuck a few summers ago (when we found dry rot in a unit, therefore costing more time and money for repairs) about dropped me. I still don't cuss in front of my mother, cause I got backhanded the last time....when I was 38 or so.  Wink

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #77: January 24, 2010, 09:57:13 am »

I've gotten the bad habit of swearing like a sailor. Been like that for years, but it got worse when I worked at the sorority. The first time I heard my Dad say fuck a few summers ago (when we found dry rot in a unit, therefore costing more time and money for repairs) about dropped me. I still don't cuss in front of my mother, cause I got backhanded the last time....when I was 38 or so.  Wink

Both my parents AND my grandmother (who practically raised me because my parents worked all the time) cusses and don't care who hears it.  Cussing comes naturally to me because I was raised by it.  Still don't cuss in front of my father because he is for some reason uptight about it.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Matrinka
Adept Member
Last Login:January 03, 2016, 12:36:32 pm

Religion: Irish-Celtic witch

Níl aon tíntéan, mar do thíntéín féín.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #78: January 24, 2010, 10:42:04 am »

When I say it it's like the world stops and everyone around me is left not knowing whether to laugh or to faint. Of course, this is from some-one whose default response to shock is a ridiculous-sounding 'oh my!'.

I never learned how to swear properly.  I can do it if I rehearse a little in my head first, but spontaneous utterances always come out sounding like somebody's Victorian grandmother.

Absent

My Pop didn't swear in front of women or children save for uttering "God damn it" under his breath now and then, and he tried to keep it low enough to not really be heard.

And then he hit a dog.  I was sixteen and hearing Pop say Fuck! loud and strong and without that weirdness of not being a commonly used word was...  well, it left me speechless and staring at him with my mouth hanging open.  The dog was okay, btw.  Cheesy 

Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #79: January 24, 2010, 04:05:07 pm »

And then he hit a dog.  I was sixteen and hearing Pop say Fuck! loud and strong and without that weirdness of not being a commonly used word was...  well, it left me speechless and staring at him with my mouth hanging open.  The dog was okay, btw.  Cheesy 

I was driving once and had to slam on my brakes because somebody darted into the road.  I said 'oh my!' as my arm flew out automatically in front of my passenger, realized how stupid it sounded and said 'oh fuck!' right after.  Then I remembered that my passenger was my mother and said 'oh my!' again.

Neither of my parents swore casually.  They considered them power words and I can remember getting a lecture on not wasting that power when I was about 8 or so.  I guess it sank in. Cheesy

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #80: January 25, 2010, 01:42:20 am »

Neither of my parents swore casually.  They considered them power words and I can remember getting a lecture on not wasting that power when I was about 8 or so.  I guess it sank in. Cheesy

My mother worked in a clothing factory for 40 years and she has always sworn like a trooper. My dad worked as a company secretary and accountant for 40 years and he never swears. If he says 'damn' we are all in shock. I try not to swear. My parents always told me that swearing is a sigh of a limited imagination and a small vocabulary, and I do kind of agree with them. Don't get me wrong, if the situation calls for it I can really let go with a torrent of foul language, but mostly I phrase it differently, especially in front of my little girl. Elizabeth seems to have a bad language filter in her head-she never repeats it and will always correct me if she hears me swear! 'Mummy, don't you mean that he is being very silly?' she says when I've called a drunk driver a whole string of expletives....  Wink

As any of my friends and family would tell you, it is really easy to tell if I have really lost my temper because I don't swear at all. I get very calm, very quiet, and my command of the English language gets very precise (you can hear the i's being dotted and the t's being crossed) and I use a hell of a lot of long words, most of which I've forgotten that I know!  Wink But sometimes swearing just sounds better and makes you feel better too-don't know why.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:42:48 am by Star, Reason: Fixing quote code » Logged

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #81: January 25, 2010, 12:04:54 pm »

I have it. It's up and running although I'm on IE and nothing is setup yet.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible so fast. You may not see a lot of me for a couple of days while I learn Win7 and get things setup enough to do actual work.

Huzzah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AntlerandHerb.com
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #82: January 25, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »

You mean like the noises I've been making trying to get Win7 to let me access files on your XP machine? At least I have partial success.

Now, now.  7 isn't too bad.  Once you turn off all the bs microbitch insists on putting in their programs.  All my xp stuff runs just fine on it - but I admit my son handled the change over for me.  I'll ask him if there's anything special you need to know (which will probably use words I know in sentences I really don't understand).

AntlerandHerb.com
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #83: January 25, 2010, 01:43:06 pm »

Now, now.  7 isn't too bad.  Once you turn off all the bs microbitch insists on putting in their programs.  All my xp stuff runs just fine on it - but I admit my son handled the change over for me.  I'll ask him if there's anything special you need to know (which will probably use words I know in sentences I really don't understand).

His suggestions - at first I think he thought you were just upgrading hence:

<<Ya, the easiest way to do it is to install the new os without formatting the hard drive, this is how i did it on your computer.  All the files will be moved to a folder on c called windowsold or something similar.  The programs will need to be re-installed, but all their files should be good.  If they are going to 32bit windows 7 they might also be able to do the upgrade option.>>

When I pointed out it was old computer to new computer his response was:

<<there is a program on windows 7 called "Windows Easy Transfer" it is supposed to be good.>>

Hope this helps

AntlerandHerb.com
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #84: January 25, 2010, 01:45:47 pm »

And he adds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3h6kOLYGtI&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=5AB4B8F2A335A9F7

AntlerandHerb.com
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #85: January 25, 2010, 05:29:46 pm »

<<there is a program on windows 7 called "Windows Easy Transfer" it is supposed to be good.>>

On discovering the new box actually did have an IDE controller as well as SATA, I just put the old drives in the machine and copied data. I'll reinstall software from scratch. Slower process that way, but I have lots of control.  So far, Win7 seems nice. Not ME or Vista like at all.  I'm using the 64 bit version which is surprising compatible with software I throw at it. Fortunately, AVAST just released a 64-bit antivirus program as the "free trial" of Norton was removed from the machine first thing. (Friends don't let friends use Norton.) I had to switch firewalls, however. Comodo has a 64 bit version and is now on my system. 

I discovered that Brother has a 64 bit driver for our HL5250DN laser printer on their web site, so I am pretty much in business with the basics. Tomorrow, I start installing productivity software: Office 2003, Cygwin, Dreamweaver, VMWare Player, etc.

On good thing about having to move to Win7, my Software Gadgets blog will roar back to life as I track down and try Win7 freeware.

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Owl
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #86: January 25, 2010, 05:53:57 pm »

On discovering the new box actually did have an IDE controller as well as SATA, I just put the old drives in the machine and copied data. I'll reinstall software from scratch. Slower process that way, but I have lots of control.  So far, Win7 seems nice. Not ME or Vista like at all.  I'm using the 64 bit version which is surprising compatible with software I throw at it. Fortunately, AVAST just released a 64-bit antivirus program as the "free trial" of Norton was removed from the machine first thing. (Friends don't let friends use Norton.) I had to switch firewalls, however. Comodo has a 64 bit version and is now on my system. 

I discovered that Brother has a 64 bit driver for our HL5250DN laser printer on their web site, so I am pretty much in business with the basics. Tomorrow, I start installing productivity software: Office 2003, Cygwin, Dreamweaver, VMWare Player, etc.

On good thing about having to move to Win7, my Software Gadgets blog will roar back to life as I track down and try Win7 freeware.

Excellent!

AntlerandHerb.com
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #87: January 26, 2010, 12:04:19 am »

Do you know what is scary? I hate computers, I avoid anything to do with their insides, but I married a computer consultant, my 2 best friends are both computer geeks (analyst and programmer) and I actually understand everything that you have said. Please someone, kill me now!  Wink

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #88: January 26, 2010, 07:50:46 am »

....and I actually understand everything that you have said. Please someone, kill me now!  Wink

You like people who talk geek to you. ::running very fast::

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
Dragondaughter
Adept Member
Last Login:November 18, 2011, 01:40:56 am

Religion: Work in progress, seasoned with insanity..

How do I get there from here?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #89: January 26, 2010, 08:13:17 am »

You like people who talk geek to you. ::running very fast::

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Practicing...? No, experiencing Spiritual ADD for 20+ years...yeah that's it... sigh. Wink

"To understand the things that are at our door is the best preparation for understanding those things that lie beyond." Hypatia of Alexandria

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)