The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 17, 2021, 05:34:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2021, 05:34:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Supreme Court Opens Floodgates on Corporate Political Spending  (Read 9559 times)
WarHorse
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic Pantheist

The little tyke.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: March 22, 2010, 08:30:47 pm »

Psychologists: Propaganda works better than you think

Good article.  It should be required reading for SCOTUS.

"I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle.  And I've seen the lowliest unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body to defend a dying horse." - Kevin Costner as Robin of Loxley, Robin Hood; Prince of Thieves.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: January 23, 2011, 06:22:48 pm »

http://www.alternet.org/news/149620/vermont_is_gearing_up_to_strike_a_major_blow_to_corporate_personhood,_ban_it_statewide/

From 3rd paragraph:
In Vermont, state senator Virginia Lyons on Friday  presented an anti-corporate personhood resolution for passage in the Vermont legislature. The resolution, the first of its kind, proposes "an amendment to the United States Constitution ... which provides that corporations are not persons under the laws of the United States."  Sources in the state house say it has a good chance of passing. This same body of lawmakers, after all, once voted to impeach George W. Bush, and is known for its anti-corporate legislation. Last year the Vermont senate became the first state legislature to weigh in on the future of a nuclear power plant, voting to shut down a poison-leeching plant run by Entergy Inc. Lyons’ Senate voted 26-4 to do it, demonstrating the level of political will of the state’s politicians to stand up to corporate power.

A really bad idea for the members of the pagan community.
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 23, 2011, 07:37:38 pm »

HuhHuhHuh

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 24, 2011, 11:01:18 am »

Why is this bad?

AntlerandHerb.com
mandrina
High Adept Member
Last Login:August 13, 2013, 11:51:25 pm

Religion: Reclaiming practice, still trying to identify diety, but have some ideas

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: January 24, 2011, 11:05:59 am »

HuhHuhHuh

those were supposed to be question marks, not smilies, cause I don't understand how it's bad for pagans.  It's not like we exactly have alot of  corporate peoples out there either.

"I've got a bad feeling about this."

every good guy in any of the Star Wars movies.

[url=http://dragcave.net/vi
skyth
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2014, 07:45:14 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #20: January 24, 2011, 11:29:39 am »

those were supposed to be question marks, not smilies, cause I don't understand how it's bad for pagans.  It's not like we exactly have alot of  corporate peoples out there either.

I can only guess that if they can remove personhood from one thing, they can remove it from others and as a minority group, Pagans have the possibility of that happening to them.

I don't see that argument flying though, as there is a difference between a human and a business.
sailor_tech
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 04:43:27 pm

Religion: Jewish

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 24, 2011, 12:03:39 pm »

I can only guess that if they can remove personhood from one thing, they can remove it from others and as a minority group, Pagans have the possibility of that happening to them.

I don't see that argument flying though, as there is a difference between a human and a business.

Close, but not quite.

The Citizen's United case revolved around wether the election restrictions were a compelling reason to void the 1st amendment protections of people with even the dissenters agreeing that corporations were people and thus coverered by the 1st amendment and presumably the bill of rights.

The way around corporate spending vs individual spending would be to revoke personhood for corporations. That would remove bill of rights protections from corporations. If there are no bill of rights protections for corporations, that means that the police would not need probable cause or a warrent to search a corporate site or seize records.

There are a number of pagan corporations, such as ADF, CoG, Hellenion and probably a slew more.  What all have in common is no office space outside of a individuals homes.  So, the homes of the officers and members of the board become open to searches without a warrent since those parts of the home used for the organization are not protected.

Also, removal of corporate personhood might also remove the limits of liability that are inherent in a corporation. Instead of the organization being sued, all the members could be sued as their own persons. 
skyth
Journeyman
Last Login:February 25, 2014, 07:45:14 pm

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 24, 2011, 02:52:45 pm »

I don't think it is dire as you make it out to be.  Corporations still are independant economic entities.  Also, the private property will still be immune to illegal search and seizures.  Warrants will still have to be involved because it is impossible to only search corporate stuff without also likely searching someone's private stuff as well.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)

EU Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. By using this site you consent to their use.