The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
April 08, 2020, 11:52:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 08, 2020, 11:52:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: As a Pagan, what do you do in everyday life?  (Read 10802 times)
Earendil
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2010, 05:07:45 am
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 28, 2010, 02:14:45 am »

I am an Odinist, and I meditate most days, as well as go for nature walks at least a few times a week, if not every day. I also participate in environmentalism, do daily offerings for the gods, and do lots of reading on Paganism. I was wondering what other Pagans here do.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

yewberry
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2014, 04:15:33 pm
United States United States

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 28, 2010, 03:19:04 am »

I am an Odinist, and I meditate most days, as well as go for nature walks at least a few times a week, if not every day. I also participate in environmentalism, do daily offerings for the gods, and do lots of reading on Paganism. I was wondering what other Pagans here do.

Specific to my own beliefs/path, I:

• 1. Mark the seasons with small rituals/offerings to spirits-of-place.
  • 2. Celebrate these changes with seasonal foods and gatherings of friends when feasible/appropriate.
  • 3. Live as lightly as possible.
  • 4. Keep an organic garden.
  • 5. Learn about the plants and critters that inhabit this area.
  • 6. Read a lot about 2, 3, and 4.
Ali
Master Member
Last Login:January 05, 2012, 02:13:36 pm

Religion: Druidry (Celtic Pagan)

/|\ Awen /|\

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 28, 2010, 02:47:06 pm »

I was wondering what other Pagans here do.

A great deal of my practical daily work involves writing, which has always been a way for me to work with the images and ideas that evolve out of attending to the world. I mean "attending" there both as paying-attention-to and caring-for-and-serving the natural world, of course, but also just my immediate environment and the people and other beings who live in it. Working with and in the material world and learning to listen to my physical senses of touch, taste, smell, etc. I see as a kind of spiritual practice itself. Unlike the world of pure ideas, the physical world puts up resistance and limits, and rubbing up against those limits challenges me and shapes me, forcing me to confront difficulties and hard truths, at the same time that it gives me the means and materials for creative expression. Words themselves can be so frustrating because they never seem to capture the full impact and meaning of living an embodied spirituality, and yet as soon as we think we have found a word that does capture its meaning perfectly, suddenly the word seems dull and uninteresting, just a dead cliché. Working with any kind of artistic medium, I think, probably does the same thing: learning the limits of your material and its unexpected potentials. Art, music and writing teach me a great deal about what it means to be living in this human body of mine and approaching my life as a kind of on-going, evolving creative project between me and the gods or Spirit.

In addition to the writing, I also do regular meditation and prayer, especially focusing on practices that help me align to the three realms/three elements of Druidic tradition (I developed a creative visualization practice to go along with the Druid Prayer for Peace which I do every night before bed, sometimes using a set of prayer beads and sometimes just sitting before a lit candle). I also go hillwalking in the local woods at least once a week regardless of the weather (unless it's dangerously cold outside, which has been true once or twice this winter!) and spend some time out there listening and watching and sometimes singing. I incorporate yoga and running as forms of physical spiritual exercises; again, most of this work I've found comes down to teaching me about the limits and boundaries of my own body, and learning to rejoice in them and use them creatively to live beautifully and gracefully and with gratitude.

My relationship to the gods is still evolving, but I've begin making regular offerings and pouring libations; sometimes just to the land and the local spirits, but more often now to a particular god or goddess with whom I'm trying to build a relationship. I also celebrate the fire and solar festivals with intimate personal rituals, sometimes alone and sometimes with my partner. I used to do these rituals ad lib without a script, but I've been trying to work up to more complicated liturgy (potentially for group work) so I've begun writing things down and developing them more in-depth. As a result, the research that goes into each one also becomes a kind of spiritual discipline!

What about other folks?

--Ali

For the whispering poet and enchanted naturalist that dwells within each of us...

/|\ Contemplations and Practice on the Druid Path /|\
Altair
Adept Member
Last Login:December 18, 2012, 06:59:40 am

Religion: Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist

Follow your star wherever it may lead

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 28, 2010, 03:10:27 pm »

The only thing I try specifically to do every day for spiritual purposes is meditate. There's plenty of my spirituality incorporated into just my everyday goings-on, however, in unremarkable ways.

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 28, 2010, 11:22:17 pm »

There's very little I do in daily practice. Mostly I just think about the gods. I have a very vague altar of sorts, but I haven't done anything with it since I moved back to school. I figure that giving the deities a mental hello is enough daily practice for me, right now. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Monica M.
Adept Member
Last Login:August 02, 2011, 01:59:15 am
Australia Australia

Religion: trying to figure it out

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 29, 2010, 12:42:56 am »

Mostly I meditate and talk to my God/dess. I also will do some energy work and protection work. I do feel obliged to help others when asked but this could be more my guilt complex than any religious belief. I also like to stay in some sort of touch with nature but I am not nearly as environmentally friendly as I should be.
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 02, 2010, 11:46:03 pm »

There's very little I do in daily practice. Mostly I just think about the gods. I have a very vague altar of sorts, but I haven't done anything with it since I moved back to school. I figure that giving the deities a mental hello is enough daily practice for me, right now. Smiley

This is pretty much me.
I'm just starting out on my path, so as long as I'm finding my feet, I'll probably stick with offerings when I have something particularly yummy on hand (or when they are requested), and trying to build up my altar.

Once that's done, I'll be able to concentrate on trying to make proper rituals and celebrating the seasons like I really should.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 03, 2010, 06:04:39 pm »

I light a candle every morning. Offerings on a semi-regular basis as I see fit.

Beyond that, not too much everyday. I do LOVE hiking, and don't get to do enough of it. Same with photography. I see both of those things as spiritual, especially the former. With photography, it depends somewhat on the subject how I feel about it. I also see my study of literature and even my riding as somewhat honoring Odin.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
moonlion
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:December 22, 2010, 08:18:30 am
Portugal Portugal

Religion: Pagan

Share wisdom and beauty

Blog entries (0)

Moon Lion

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 17, 2010, 08:38:19 am »

I try to live my life according to what I believe in: practical things like recycling, go out for walks and hikes whenever I can, help others, do as many a small things as I can do to in order to do my bit for a better world (no, I am not an Idealist, but anyway, you have to start somewhere and not wait for others to do it for you).

I do not take a lot of attention on symbolism although I try to honour the Sabbats and Quarterdays.

"There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go." Richard Bach in: A Bridge Across Forever * Visit me at Genus Loci
RootRealm
Journeyman
Last Login:August 21, 2010, 07:37:59 am

Religion: Hermetic Witchcraft

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: July 13, 2010, 01:04:42 am »

An important part of my path is that my practices change according to what my needs are, or what my present intentions are.  I consider this an alchemical aspect:  searching for the correct alchemical operation to perform next. I also consider it essential to an intuitively based path, that I have no "fixed" routines, but allow everything to flow from intuition. 

I usually begin the day with journaling, art and altar meditation to try to get clues as to "where I am now" so that I can see what is needed.  Then, based on what I find, or based upon intentions I am working on, I do a practice or practices to support that, either in the morning before I go to work, or in the evening when I get home.  Art, journaling, study, altar work, devotional meditation, some type of Magic or Spellwork, are typical parts of everyday practice.  As I have the opportunity, for instance on weekends, I do more extensive practices or rituals, including some out in nature, such as gathering herbs. 

If you live according to an example, you live the life of that example.  There is only one way and that is your way.  You seek the path? I warn you away from my own.  May each go his own way....  ---Carl Jung
Lailoken
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 23, 2010, 03:39:38 pm

Religion: Druidry

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: July 13, 2010, 10:30:18 am »

On a daily basis:
4 daily solar devotions
nightly meditation
talking to/touching my plants and trees (I'm in the process of creating a balcony garden)
lend an ear when people need to vent/offer advice when appropriate
I'm a natural health care practitioner which I feel is very much a part of my Druidry, so I see that as part of my daily spirituality (if that makes sense)
doing my Druid organisation coursework
do something creative, whether that be drawing, writing poems or rituals

Throughout the year:
honour the phases of the moon
observe the seasonal celebrations
do some charity work

Sometimes I slip and let things go...I'm not perfect.

Straycat
Apprentice
Last Login:August 12, 2010, 09:11:31 pm

Religion: Wiccan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: July 30, 2010, 07:53:55 am »

On a daily basis:
4 daily solar devotions
nightly meditation
talking to/touching my plants and trees (I'm in the process of creating a balcony garden)
lend an ear when people need to vent/offer advice when appropriate
I'm a natural health care practitioner which I feel is very much a part of my Druidry, so I see that as part of my daily spirituality (if that makes sense)
doing my Druid organisation coursework
do something creative, whether that be drawing, writing poems or rituals

Throughout the year:
honour the phases of the moon
observe the seasonal celebrations
do some charity work

Sometimes I slip and let things go...I'm not perfect.

Every day? I talk to God a lot. Rail at him and complain. But listen, too. (Uh, that's our God, not their God.) I study and read a lot. I try to give thanks for things in my life. I do meditations and spells semi-regularly. And I also keep an organic garden -- veggies and flowers.

Since I'm solitary, I don't keep up with the Esbats and Sabbats much anymore. My bad, perhaps, but I do try to keep aware of the Gods and Goddesses and of the magic in the world around me.
Corvus Calling - GirlRugger
Master Member
Last Login:April 27, 2011, 11:57:21 am
Canada Canada

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist
TCN ID: GirlRugger

Blog entries (0)

mmarieh

Ignore
« Reply #12: July 30, 2010, 08:35:09 am »

(Uh, that's our God, not their God.)

What do you mean by "our God" and "their God"?

I do things more on a weekly basis but daily I meditate, work in my herb journal, some language study and light a candle for my ancestors.

~Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act.~
                                                                               -Truman Capote
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: July 30, 2010, 05:11:13 pm »

Tend the altar everyday (light candles, incense, whatever...) meditation daily. Full moon, new moon and sabbat full circle rituals. My garden is dedicated to my trad, I spend quite a few hours a week tending that.

dragonfaerie
Coffee Goddess
Adept Member
Last Login:July 06, 2011, 06:19:49 pm

Religion: Witchcraft
TCN ID: dragonfaerie

Priestess of the Circle of Amber Heart

Blog entries (0)

terpette terpette terpette

Ignore
« Reply #14: August 15, 2010, 07:09:01 pm »

On a typical day?

I get up and go to work unless it's one of my rare days off. I try to live in harmony with my personal ethics. I try to be kind to people. I take care of the tasks I'm responsible for in order to honor my promises/oaths. Basically I try to live in harmony with myself.

I'd like to meditate more. I do read Pagan books here and there, and I have some topics to learn more about. I'd like to be out in nature more often. I'd like to do some sort of daily devotionals.

But I also recognize the need to be balanced between my spiritual life and my "mundane" life. If I literally don't have time to do a holiday ritual because I'm tired and stressed out from working extra shifts to cover a staffing gap, I shouldn't beat myself up about it. I'm not any less Pagan for that, and I wouldn't want to work ritual as a chore or obligation and half-ass it because I'm so tired I can't even move.

I'd love to have the kind of life where I could be as religious as I wanted to be and work everything else around those practices. Unfortunately, that's not where I am now. Better that I fit in a quick prayer over my morning coffee at my desk than nothing at all... and is that really any less valid than a 20 minute morning devotional at my altar complete with various offerings and tools?

Karen

Writings on Wicca & Witchcraft
Read my journal!
Today's Mood Forecast:
Fanboy's Convention List

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)