The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 12:59:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 12:59:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Roll Call/Introductions  (Read 23946 times)
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 28, 2010, 02:31:50 pm »

I saw something like this on some of the other SIGs and thought it might be a good idea to get to know some of the other TC members particularly interested in Asatru or other Heathen paths.

My very first introduction to Paganism (besides whispers of devil-worship and Hot Topic-patronage) was through The Runes Workbook by Leon D. Wild (http://www.amazon.com/Runes-Workbook-Step-Step-Learning/dp/1592230423/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264706123&sr=8-1). It deals with the usage of the Elder Futhark, primarily through divination but also through other means. In the beginning of the book is a nice, extremely basic primer on Asatru, Norse cosmology, and the Aesir. In many ways, I'm glad that Asatru was my first exposure to "alternative religions," because I have a feeling Wicca would have scared me off, or simply been too unpalatable to warrant further exploration. (I was in the tenth grade at the time and still very shaky from my recent breakup with JC. Wicca/witchcraft would have been out, but Norse polytheism was totally okay.)

When I did eventually do more research into Wicca (and was very disappointed to see that eating babies and summoning demons were not nearly as commonplace as I had been told) I ended up leaving Asatru behind for a bit. I never totally adopted a Wiccan mindset, but I did adapt rituals and some concepts while I explored what other things were out there. I always remember though that I reached out to the Norse deities first, and in many ways I feel like a wayward Heathen who's just on a long visit with her Mediterranean cousins.

I'm most drawn to Odin, Loki, Freyja (and to some extent Freyr), and Baldr. I've got a translation of the Poetic Edda on my bookshelf, my book on runes, and another Asatru book somewhere. This year, I really want to take another plunge into Asatru and explore other Heathen paths as well. I'll admit to being more fueled on UPG than historical sources, but I like to think that I have a better basis on practice and belief than "ooh, a shiny thing that moves!"

I'm seriously looking forward to all the awesome stuff that will invariably happen with this SIG. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: January 28, 2010, 02:48:26 pm »

I saw something like this on some of the other SIGs and thought it might be a good idea to get to know some of the other TC members particularly interested in Asatru or other Heathen paths.
You beat me to the bunch! I was going to post a "How did you first come to Heathenry?" thread too! Tongue

Well, as for myself, I was a pretty general "eclectic" Pagan-type thing for a while. I started getting into Heathenry specifically a few years ago, and while I still consider myself a bit of a "newbie" for sheer lack of time, I've got my own little solitary practice that suits me quite well.

Looking back, I wish I would have kept track of my move to Heathenry more accurately; I honestly don't remember exactly what prompted me to look into the Norse pantheon. I know I always loved LOTR. and I was aware Tolkein drew heavily on Anglo-Saxon/Scandinavian sources for that. So maybe there was something in that. But I do remember first browsing the web about the Aesir and Vanir and Asatru and feeling "This is right." Smiley

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #2: January 28, 2010, 02:58:47 pm »

You beat me to the bunch! I was going to post a "How did you first come to Heathenry?" thread too! Tongue

Was it my mad psychic skills, or do I just have too much time on my hands? We'll never know.

I know I always loved LOTR. and I was aware Tolkein drew heavily on Anglo-Saxon/Scandinavian sources for that.

Tolkein's started to draw me back into Heathenry, too. I've never read the Lord of the Rings, but I love the movies and I have a fantasy lecture series on CD that devotes six hours or so to hardcore analysis of LotR. (Eventually, I'll sit down and read the series plus related books. Maybe a summer project?) I keep wanting to go back and learn all these ancient languages (Old English and Old Norse, specifically) so I can read Tolkein's original sources.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
brandonb70
Master Member
Last Login:May 26, 2011, 12:18:40 pm

Religion: Ásatrú/Heathen
TCN ID: Brandon

Honor above all else

Blog entries (0)

brandon_bourg brandon.bourg brandonb70

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 28, 2010, 03:11:28 pm »

My first real look at paganism in general was a few years back. I had a really hard time with Catholicism and their views on a lot of subjects. After that falling out I really had a chance to look at all religions. So I did started researching Wicca and Buddhism after a week or too I had a religious experience which really got me worked up. I was the type of person who would laugh at someone if they said they had a religious experience so I just kept it too myself. It was a dream I wont go into a lot of deal but it was Odin. At the time I literally knew nothing about Norse Mythology I even thought Thor was from a different pantheon. So after that I researched his attributes on google and found a picture of him. I then started researching their beliefs and instantly knew it was for me. Ever since then I felt whole. The NNV and the writings are so powerful and inspiring. My whole perspective of what I knew about the people who worshipped them was so far off that I had to learn a whole new way of thinking. I have been studying for awhile now and I hope to continue to learn new things and be able to honor all of the Gods better. Odin, Frigga, and Tyr are the Gods I feel closest to although I would like to have a relationship with all of the Gods eventually. 

I know that I hung on a windy tree
nine long nights,
wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,
myself to myself,
on that tree of which no man knows
from where its roots run. - Hávamál
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:August 04, 2020, 12:00:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: January 29, 2010, 12:29:04 am »

Maybe just as well; I couldn't respond to "How did you first come to Heathenry?" because I don't consider myself a Heathen.

I'm yer friendly neighborhood Mad Eclectic, with a thematic personal pantheon of deities from a variety of cultures - including Germanic ones - and a very high regard for authentic scholarship.  While the UPG of my own interactions with the deities I work with takes precedence in my practice, knowledge of actual ancient practice and views informs and enriches my UPG (and helps me to tell the difference between actual UPG and just thinking).

I expect to participate here as I do in the other cultural-polytheism SIGs, as someone who doesn't practice the cultural polytheism in question (and thus may well be less knowledgeable than those who do, and/or less "in the headspace"), but who has an interest in the practices and perceptions related to it.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 29, 2010, 12:55:37 am »

Hey all! Thanks for the opportunity to have this!

I'm caught in a weird place when it comes to Asatru, because I don't consider myself to be of that way of life, but it is dear to my heart in some ways. An uncle of mine is Asatru, and inadvertently he helped me out with some weird and trying circumstances last year. It was only a year or so ago when I started believing in something other than atheism, and more surprisingly for me that I started believing in thousands of Gods.

I can only speak for myself on the grounds of faith, that although I don't know why, Gods and Goddesses from the Vanir and Aesir will take the time to answer my prayers. From what I understand about modern Heathenry recon, that's an UPG, and since thats most of my familiarity with the Norse pantheon and way of life for the moment, I can't say I'm Asatru. However, since I have a growing appreciation for it, I'm going to stick around and see what I can learn from this!

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Heathen

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 29, 2010, 02:44:31 am »

I come from an agnostic/atheist family and until I was about 19 didn't really realise there were options other than atheism or Christianity. I first read 'A Witch Alone' and some of the Farrars books which led me to a Wiccish earth-worshipping neo-Paganism.

I've always enjoyed the Norse myths most of all the myths, and at uni I studied Anglo-Saxon and loved it. I became aware Heathens existed (beyond a couple of slightly derogatory paragraphs in some Wiccish books with their hints about racism) when I started venturing onto the net. Then when I joined up with Pagans in the real world I met one or two in the flesh. From those first glimmering of 'this might be for me', to deciding to actually call myself Heathen has taken about three years (I don't tend to rush into things...  Tongue  ).

I'm still a noob and still figuring out exactly where I sit in the spectrum of all things Heathen. Suffice to say I'm definitely recon influenced, though not fully recon (yet?) and I'm just enjoying the ride for once! I have a blog which I use to keep me partially on track with the homework and thinking about stuff.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: January 29, 2010, 09:02:39 am »

Hmmm... well, first off, I don't really consider myself Heathen but more eclectic.  I am leaning towards ADF, but haven't fully committed.  My intro to paganism came from a very strange man I met online (don't laugh. Smiley ) He peaked my curiosity about it because before I had always felt like there was something out there, but I wasn't quite sure what just knew Christianity wasn't doing it for me.  Along the way I met a group of flacks, to but it nicely, but I've come to believe meeting them, though painful at the time, was probably the best thing for me cause now I know what I am willing to deal with and what I am not.  It also helped me refine my bs meter.

I mainly work with Loki, he's made it VERY clear I am his.  There are a few at the grove I attend that know, but it's not info I give out freely. Mainly cause I get sick of listening to everyone tell me how evil he is and I need to run from him.  I am also drawn to several Celtic deities.  I have no 'interest' in recon, I'll be upfront about that, but I am very interested in learning more and figuring out exactly how my beliefs mash together. Smiley

Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to the group. Smiley

Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 29, 2010, 09:07:58 am »

In my case, I'm also very eclectic, like Sunflower, and don't consider myself a Heathen, but the gods I'm the most close to are the Norse ones. I met Odin when I was 13 yo, He started showing himself to me in a variety of places, and even if I didn't know anything about Him, I felt very close to Him and started worshipping Him. By that time, I had no idea there was such a thing as paganism, let alone Ásatrú/Heathenism, and I thought I was the only person in the world who worshipped a different god than the JCI one. Tongue

When I was 18 I found Wicca, and through it, I found Ásatrú. At first it seemed exactly what I had been looking for, but when I started studying it more in depth I changed my mind. So I'm just an eclectic Norse, I suppose.

There's not a lot of material in Spanish, I have only 4 books about Norse mythology: one of them I would throw through the window if I hadn't payed for it, two of them are very old and have some major errors, and the last one is very inaccurate, but has nice pictures. I also have a book about runes and I'm thinking about buying another one (I saw it in the bookstore a couple weeks ago). I have always wanted to get the Eddas and at least a couple of sagas, but no, they are not available in my city, so I had to download them from the internet. Sad

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 29, 2010, 09:10:33 am »

I mainly work with Loki, he's made it VERY clear I am his.  There are a few at the grove I attend that know, but it's not info I give out freely. Mainly cause I get sick of listening to everyone tell me how evil he is and I need to run from him.

I know what you mean. I've been told the same thing, over and over again.

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 29, 2010, 09:23:30 am »

I also have a book about runes and I'm thinking about buying another one (I saw it in the bookstore a couple weeks ago).

My mom just brought me the book I wanted to buy, yay! Cheesy

Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #11: January 29, 2010, 09:53:20 am »

Maybe just as well; I couldn't respond to "How did you first come to Heathenry?" because I don't consider myself a Heathen.
Well, not Heathenry exactly, but Norse gods in general; I know people expressing interest from the beginning didn't totally identify as Heathen/Asatru. Which I think is good!

It looks like a lot of the people so far are a bit more eclectically influenced; I think it will give this SIG a unique perspective I look forward to exploring!

And BTW, I would also consider myself somewhat "eclectic" (including Taoist, panentheist, existentialist, take your pick) and not as strictly recon as some. That's generally why I don't necessarily identify as Asatru, even while I do follow much from that religion. But this pantheon are the only gods I work with.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #12: January 29, 2010, 09:56:05 am »

I mainly work with Loki, he's made it VERY clear I am his.  There are a few at the grove I attend that know, but it's not info I give out freely. Mainly cause I get sick of listening to everyone tell me how evil he is and I need to run from him.
I know what you mean. I've been told the same thing, over and over again.
If you haven't heard it already, Ravencast has a *very* interesting episode interviewing a follower of Loki!

http://ravencast.podbean.com/2007/04/06/episode-8-about-loki/

Selegna
Master Member
Argentina Argentina

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #13: January 29, 2010, 10:10:58 am »

If you haven't heard it already, Ravencast has a *very* interesting episode interviewing a follower of Loki!

http://ravencast.podbean.com/2007/04/06/episode-8-about-loki/

Thanks! I'll listen to it. I had downloaded a few episodes some time ago, but this was not one of them!

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #14: January 29, 2010, 10:45:45 am »

Well, as for myself, I was a pretty general "eclectic" Pagan-type thing for a while. I started getting into Heathenry specifically a few years ago, and while I still consider myself a bit of a "newbie" for sheer lack of time, I've got my own little solitary practice that suits me quite well.

Looking back, I wish I would have kept track of my move to Heathenry more accurately; I honestly don't remember exactly what prompted me to look into the Norse pantheon. I know I always loved LOTR. and I was aware Tolkein drew heavily on Anglo-Saxon/Scandinavian sources for that. So maybe there was something in that. But I do remember first browsing the web about the Aesir and Vanir and Asatru and feeling "This is right." Smiley

Hmm, introductions, I suck at these.  Well here goes.

I have been a Heathen/Asatruar for the past 8 years or so.  The biggest thing that pulled me to being Heathen is that it fit the traditions and practices that my family has done since I was a child.  Sadly I am a solitary practitioner, but hopefully that may change. 

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)