The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 18, 2020, 12:03:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 12:03:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Roll Call/Introductions  (Read 23945 times)
dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am
United States United States

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: January 29, 2010, 12:01:22 pm »

If you haven't heard it already, Ravencast has a *very* interesting episode interviewing a follower of Loki!

http://ravencast.podbean.com/2007/04/06/episode-8-about-loki/

Thank you. Cheesy I'll listen to this this weekend.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #16: January 29, 2010, 12:28:15 pm »

I'm probably the odd-man out here.  I'm more Hellenic-Focused but each each day I become more and more eclectic-leaning.  I'm mostly going to be reading here and will rarely post as I do with the other Culture-Specific Polytheism SIGs.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
SatAset
Adept Member
Last Login:November 06, 2011, 11:27:55 pm

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Heathen, Orisa devotee

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #17: January 29, 2010, 01:48:32 pm »

I saw something like this on some of the other SIGs and thought it might be a good idea to get to know some of the other TC members particularly interested in Asatru or other Heathen paths.

I'm mostly Kemetic Orthodox.  I follow some Orisha and honor my ancestors.  A few years ago, I wanted to honor the gods of the majority of my ancestors so I started studying up on Asatru/Heathenry.

I'm sworn to serve the Kemetic goddess Aset before others.  Aset also has a possessive streak, so I tend to ask her who else I can worship.  Aset asked me not to honor Freyja, but to honor Frigga instead.  She did say Skadhi was okay to honor as well. 

I don't consider myself Heathen or Asatru, but I do honor Frigga and Skadhi on Fridays. 

I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --Me
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #18: January 29, 2010, 03:18:45 pm »

I saw something like this on some of the other SIGs and thought it might be a good idea to get to know some of the other TC members particularly interested in Asatru or other Heathen paths.

As I intend to be lurking around this SIG, I figured I'd say hi... aside from a basic knowledge of Norse mythology, my first intro to Heathenry was Eric de Vries Hedge-Rider. I felt very torn for a while between a Celtic and Heathen path, as both were very appealing to me. I am following the Irish pantheon, but am still interested in learning more about Heathenry -- so here I am.  Smiley

I'm interested in Odin, Freyja, Frigg, and Hel, and recently I've gotten an interest in Dellingr... and in general, really just anything about the practices and ideas of Heathenry.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #19: January 29, 2010, 04:42:47 pm »

I expect to participate here as I do in the other cultural-polytheism SIGs, as someone who doesn't practice the cultural polytheism in question (and thus may well be less knowledgeable than those who do, and/or less "in the headspace"), but who has an interest in the practices and perceptions related to it.

Like Sunflower, I hope to read this SIG and learn from it, although I'm not Asatruar or Heathen (I don't even really know what the difference between those two is).  Also, as TC's SIG Coordinator, it's part of my job to stay up with all the SIGs.   Smiley

I have very little background in Asatru -- one 101 book and what I've read here on TC -- although I do have some training in oracular seidh technique and have participated in seidh rituals.  I'm looking forward to learning a lot.

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #20: January 29, 2010, 06:33:38 pm »

... although I'm not Asatruar or Heathen (I don't even really know what the difference between those two is).
Good point; I'll post an article I've found helpful!

I have very little background in Asatru -- one 101 book and what I've read here on TC -- although I do have some training in oracular seidh technique and have participated in seidh rituals.
Ooh, neat! I know very little about seidh myself, although I admit it intrigues me.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #21: January 29, 2010, 06:47:47 pm »

Good point; I'll post an article I've found helpful!
Ooh, neat! I know very little about seidh myself, although I admit it intrigues me.

Me too.  Smiley

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
cyndaquil
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 27, 2011, 07:03:10 pm

Religion: unknown

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #22: January 29, 2010, 07:00:04 pm »

Hi all,

I'm new to posting and new to Heathenry, though not so new to paganism. I don't remember my first book, though it was on witchcraft, and had a really cool table about the witch's alphabet. I was 12 or 13. From there, I was very vague, and defined myself more by spirituality (meditation, introspective divination, etc.). I only recently have been interested in the Norse pantheon specifically, and am tentatively sending out feelers to communities. While I love mythology, this is the first time I've considered working with an actual pantheon. It's interesting but kind of intimidating.

The Gods I do feel most drawn to are Loki and Odin. The first info I read about Loki was very positive, and for a few months that kind of info was all I read. As I expanded my search, that's when I came to find all the bad things. But my impression is already there, (and so is he, it seems). So I'll keep researching and learning and see how it goes. This forum has already been pretty invaluable when it comes to online resources.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #23: January 29, 2010, 07:04:51 pm »

Hi all,

I'm new to posting and new to Heathenry, though not so new to paganism.
A hearty welcome, both to TC and this SIG! Smiley

While I love mythology, this is the first time I've considered working with an actual pantheon. It's interesting but kind of intimidating.
I remember feeling the same way. I would suggest to more or less go for it. As long as you do things with respect, I doubt you have much to be intimidated by.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Aster Breo
SIG Coordinator
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:January 29, 2013, 09:32:22 pm

Religion: Feral Brighideach
TCN ID: Aster Breo

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #24: January 29, 2010, 07:45:05 pm »

I know very little about seidh myself, although I admit it intrigues me.

I'm not sure how much I can explain online, but, if you're intersted, I'll try.  Maybe that's another thread idea for when things slow down.   Wink

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place."  ~ George Bernard Shaw
DeCarabas
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2010, 12:07:28 pm

Religion: Kemetic/Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #25: January 30, 2010, 03:44:10 am »

I somehow managed to avoid learning anything about Heathenism or even about Norse mythology until after college.  For years, I was pretty much your generic neopagan, not really satisfied with it, trying to find something more structured that actually fit me.  But that gave me time to work out what beliefs and practices were important to me, and why - fairly universal things, like ancestor veneration - and I think it was helpful to me to figure out the meaning in these things on my own, before finding Heathenism.  Then I dreamed about Odin - up until that point I'd had some vague image of him as like a Norse version of Zeus - and it was interesting enough for me to at least look him up.  As it turns out, not Zeus.   Tongue  In fact, Odin combined just about everything I'd ever been drawn to in a god; and then I looked at the Eddas, which spoke to me like no other mythology; and then I looked at Heathenism, which included every one of those beliefs and practices that were important to me.

It was a longer process than that sounds, and I still have relationships with gods outside of the Norse pantheon which are just as important to me - weirdly, finding Heathenism actually seemed to strengthen those other relationships as well.  I think just having a regular practice that fit made the difference.
bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #26: January 30, 2010, 07:57:07 am »

Howdy folks. Many of you probably know me, either from here (I used to host this board on my server after all) or from Asatru Lore (which I still host).

I came to Asatru many years ago. When I was a teen back in the 80s, I got introduced to Wicca through a friend and Bucky's Big Blue Book. It took me a few more years of being... not unsatisfied exactly, with Wicca, but needing something different. A friend in my early 20s turned me on to Asatru, and dear gods I just realized that's pushing 20 years ago now. Egads I'm gettin' old.

Anyway, I'm a grumpy middle-aged heathen Smiley

Adare
Master Member
Last Login:April 22, 2012, 07:10:16 pm

Religion: Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #27: January 30, 2010, 10:00:26 am »

Hiya, I'm very new to the study of Heathenism/Asatru, and at this point really consider myself eclectic Pagan. My first deity is Hecate, as she was the one who answered when I started seeking, and I work with a bit of the Celtic pantheon.

However, recently I've connected with Woden and Fricka very strongly (normally I just use Odin and Frigg, but this is more accurate here Smiley) and have started seriously studying the Eddas and other secondhand works recommended on AL, and it's a good 'fit' as it were.

I'm not a recon, but I was an archaeology minor and adore ancient history. I value UPG, but think the balance between UPG and lore is vital. I do like to wistfully think I'm not totally eclectic as the mix of my deities could have happened at some point in overlap areas of Celtic/Germanic/Roman borders  Wink  (or not)

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.
 -Thich Nhat Hahn

www.walkofthefallen.com
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #28: January 30, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »

Welcome, everyone! It's wonderful to have so many people (and so many different kinds of people!) join in.

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #29: January 31, 2010, 12:07:39 am »

Welcome, everyone! It's wonderful to have so many people (and so many different kinds of people!) join in.

Not a bad first week, eh, SIG leader in chief    Grin

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)