The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 19, 2020, 02:25:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 02:25:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Roll Call/Introductions  (Read 23951 times)
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm
United States United States

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #30: January 31, 2010, 08:45:01 am »

Not a bad first week, eh, SIG leader in chief    Grin
Definitely! Let's keep it up, everyone!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jane C
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:55:26 am

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #31: February 02, 2010, 11:03:57 pm »

I saw something like this on some of the other SIGs and thought it might be a good idea to get to know some of the other TC members particularly interested in Asatru or other Heathen paths.

I came to or back to Heathenry through a rather long circuitous path.  In my early 40's (yes I'm old Cheesy) I came to the realization I wasn't a Christian.  I looked into various forms of paganism and while some parts interested me, as a whole they weren't for me.

I was actually looking at Celtic Reconstruction pretty seriously when team Norse finally thwapped me and I was like, duh this is it.

Of course being a Heathen in Minnesota really isn't such a stretch.

"ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.earth -- reboot universe? (Y/N)"
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #32: February 02, 2010, 11:21:19 pm »

I was actually looking at Celtic Reconstruction pretty seriously when team Norse finally thwapped me and I was like, duh this is it.

Hey Jane!

Psst, if you still have any interest in Celtic recon, check out orkneyjar... apparently the islands used to have a combo of Norse and Celtic spirituality and worship of the Gods and Goddesses!

Of course, one's own path is for the one to decide    Cheesy

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Jane C
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:55:26 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #33: February 03, 2010, 12:40:26 am »

Hey Jane!

Psst, if you still have any interest in Celtic recon, check out orkneyjar... apparently the islands used to have a combo of Norse and Celtic spirituality and worship of the Gods and Goddesses!

Of course, one's own path is for the one to decide    Cheesy

I have checked it out a bit.  The funny thing is I was always more interested in the Celt parts of my family tree, but the Norse part has ended up being home.  Still interesting stuff and I'm not averse to learning more about both.

"ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.earth -- reboot universe? (Y/N)"
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #34: February 03, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »

I saw something like this on some of the other SIGs and thought it might be a good idea to get to know some of the other TC members particularly interested in Asatru or other Heathen paths.

Hello all! I'm an eclectic striving for syncretism, devoted to a personal thematic pantheon that spans multiple cultures. I'm not a recon, but I do value accurate information and history and understanding the cultural contexts that Those I honor come from.

I approached Odin fairly early on when I became Pagan, and semi-recently realized that I had completely neglected Him since and decided to fix this. So I'm getting to know Him and currently reading the Poetic Edda. I'm also interested in Freya and Freyr and the wights and disir. Really, I'm interested in "listening" and learning in general.

Bornunderpunches
Last Login:July 01, 2011, 01:31:41 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #35: February 03, 2010, 09:41:42 pm »

The funny thing is I was always more interested in the Celt parts of my family tree, but the Norse part has ended up being home.

I kind of tapped into Heathenry this way. I know a lot more about the Scots-Irish side of my family(probably because I have surviving grandad on this side) than the Anglo-Saxon side. When I studied Celtic spirituality though, something just didn't stick with me the way Heathenry did. I'm lucky I kind of fell into a well established Kindred with decent folk, It's helped me out a lot. I would have to say I count myself as a Thorsman, he a good friend.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #36: February 03, 2010, 10:15:36 pm »

Welcome, Bornunderpunches and Jane C, both to TC and our SIG!

And welcome, Garnet, too!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Osprey
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 07, 2011, 03:17:13 pm

Religion: becoming heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #37: February 16, 2010, 03:51:58 pm »

I'm so glad this is up and running!  I've been on hiatus while rehearsing Macbeth for the past few weeks, so I just found it.

My interest in paganism goes back all the way to middle school, but it didn't start taking a Northern route until very recently. I bounced back and forth between Norse and Celtic for quite a while, but the Celtic has pretty much bowed out and said "We're too far south for you".  Wink
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #38: February 16, 2010, 10:17:35 pm »

I'm so glad this is up and running!  I've been on hiatus while rehearsing Macbeth for the past few weeks, so I just found it.

My interest in paganism goes back all the way to middle school, but it didn't start taking a Northern route until very recently. I bounced back and forth between Norse and Celtic for quite a while, but the Celtic has pretty much bowed out and said "We're too far south for you".  Wink

Welcome!

spearandhammer
Apprentice
Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:55:30 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #39: May 30, 2011, 03:56:47 pm »

I was a pagan for a few years.  Mostly Greek and Egyptian stuff.  I was eclectic but did not consider myself fluffy, insofar as I read more books from major university presses than I did from Llewellyn.    I was never greatly happy, though.  Those were simply the myths and cultures I knew best when I converted to paganism. 

I had been aware of Heathenry for a while.   Over a year ago I decided to read the "barbarian" lore, as I jokingly called it.  And you know what, I think the Eddas were the best things I ever read!  And if I ignore the lunatic fringe of Heathenry, I feel I am also a better fit for the religious community as well (I feel much more comfortable with the down-home types from middle America that seem to predominate in Heathenry, rather than the coastal hippies that seemed to predominate in my old religion). 

So I am here to stay.  I've read everything I can get my hands on in the past year and few months.  Absolutely love it (well, I am still slogging through the sagas, which I find are slow going). 

Among the gods I like Odin and Thor the best.  Or, since my ancestors were from Germany rather than Iceland,  I prefer to call them Wodan and Donar.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #40: May 30, 2011, 04:42:01 pm »

I was a pagan for a few years.  Mostly Greek and Egyptian stuff.  I was eclectic but did not consider myself fluffy, insofar as I read more books from major university presses than I did from Llewellyn.    I was never greatly happy, though.  Those were simply the myths and cultures I knew best when I converted to paganism. 

I had been aware of Heathenry for a while.   Over a year ago I decided to read the "barbarian" lore, as I jokingly called it.  And you know what, I think the Eddas were the best things I ever read!  And if I ignore the lunatic fringe of Heathenry, I feel I am also a better fit for the religious community as well (I feel much more comfortable with the down-home types from middle America that seem to predominate in Heathenry, rather than the coastal hippies that seemed to predominate in my old religion). 

So I am here to stay.  I've read everything I can get my hands on in the past year and few months.  Absolutely love it (well, I am still slogging through the sagas, which I find are slow going). 

Among the gods I like Odin and Thor the best.  Or, since my ancestors were from Germany rather than Iceland,  I prefer to call them Wodan and Donar.

Welcome! Your story / situation sounds a lot like mine, actually. Smiley

Vorare
Last Login:June 03, 2011, 08:48:26 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #41: June 03, 2011, 08:40:42 pm »

I've been interested in Vikings and anything like that since I was a kid, however a few years ago I was lucky enough to visit Iceland during a work trip and something sort of 'clicked' inside of me and I started to look deeper into the more spiritual side of things.

I always feel a bit silly telling that story...
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #42: June 03, 2011, 10:13:19 pm »

I've been interested in Vikings and anything like that since I was a kid, however a few years ago I was lucky enough to visit Iceland during a work trip and something sort of 'clicked' inside of me and I started to look deeper into the more spiritual side of things.

I always feel a bit silly telling that story...
Welcome to TC and the SIG!

Remember to quote every time you reply to a post. Yes, every time. Wink

So jealous you went to Iceland! Care to elaborate on your spiritual "click" there? You don't have to if you feel it's too personal, but you probably shouldn't feel silly.

Waterfall
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 30, 2011, 04:52:42 am

Religion: Lokean

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #43: June 04, 2011, 03:11:21 am »

I kinda walked blindly into whatever path it is I'm on. Pretty long story, but short version is that I was once in some trouble, prayed to any god for help, and Loki answered. I sorta knew a little about the gods at the time, but not very much and certainly not enough to be worried about the fact Loki was willing to help me. I pretty much just knew their names. Odd thing is that I've still felt drawn to them most of my life.

When I was pretty young, I stumbled across a website about Norse mythology and I thought it was awesome and spent hours reading about every single god. Then I totally forgot about it. Years later, I found another similar website and did the same thing. Read everything, then forgot about it, despite it being awesome. It didn't really stick until I was helping my friend with a class project. She had to make a movie and I was writing the script and at some point, we needed to include a god of some kind. I consulted with my friend and she simply said no Greek gods. For whatever reason, I suggested Norse, despite only knowing Thor. My friend said okay, but she wanted a lesser known god. So I went to the library and did some research.  I wanted to use Vidar, but the whole silent thing wouldn't have worked. I can't remember which god we ended up using, but the important part was that doing all that research made their names stick in my head. And of course, I remembered the times I'd looked into Norse mythology before. Actually, what I think really made it stick was the fact I didn't have a religion at that time. I was really open to ideas, and although I wasn't really sure about worshiping them and wasn't entirely sure they existed, I just thought it would be cool if they did.

That was about a year before I ended up in the trouble. And after I learned to pay attention to Loki, I figured out he's been around my entire life. Whether or not he had anything to do with a bunch of crap that happened, I don't know. But I know I've certainly felt his influence, even when I was young. I definitely feel this was meant to be. Even if I don't particularly like it all the time. Still, I've been happier since accepting Loki than I ever was before.
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #44: June 04, 2011, 02:30:10 pm »

Welcome to the SIG, Waterfall!

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)