The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
December 02, 2020, 05:09:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 02, 2020, 05:09:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question regarding magickal tools...  (Read 6691 times)
Raevyn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 20, 2007, 10:40:21 pm
United States United States

Religion: Witch (Wiccan)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: May 16, 2007, 11:50:04 pm »

I am a Witch who is following a Solitary Wicca path (at least until I figure out my basic beliefs before moving onto a Coven-search)... and as I read some things I'm wondering, does everything have to be exactly correct?

For example, I don't want to use an athame, I prefer using an old kitchen knife to substitute. Also, when it comes to casting circles, I prefer to use my index and middle fingers on my right hand (dominant hand) to project energies and my left hand (receptive hand) to draw in energies.

Is there anything wrong with those preferences?

Also, I'm a cheap Witch... I prefer getting the lowest price to save my money as much as possible... I don't go for fancy things as some do... it makes me feel awkward, but is that anything to be ashamed of?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ravyn
Senior Newbie
Last Login:November 23, 2007, 01:51:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Wiccan, Pagan, Vodouissant, Spiritual

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #1: May 17, 2007, 02:24:47 am »

I am a Witch who is following a Solitary Wicca path (at least until I figure out my basic beliefs before moving onto a Coven-search)... and as I read some things I'm wondering, does everything have to be exactly correct?

For example, I don't want to use an athame, I prefer using an old kitchen knife to substitute. Also, when it comes to casting circles, I prefer to use my index and middle fingers on my right hand (dominant hand) to project energies and my left hand (receptive hand) to draw in energies.

Also, I'm a cheap Witch... I prefer getting the lowest price to save my money as much as possible... I don't go for fancy things as some do... it makes me feel awkward, but is that anything to be ashamed of?

Namaste,

You know that all sounds good to me. Of course traditionallist will definately disagree about using an old kitchen knife, but if it works for you then go for it. There are no hard and fast rules, and as a solitary you don't have to worry too much about having a proper Athame or not. Perhaps you just want to use your old kitchen knife for magick now, and that is ok, keep it and use it only for Ritual and Magick. Views on this differ widely, so go with what feels right, as long as you are not tradition bound.

As for casting your circles, the method you describe sounds perfectly good. I agree with you on that as my feelings are the same. As for being cheap, well there is nothing wrong with that at all. Hey you don't need to have the fanciest tools known. My first wand was just a stick I found but it worked and felt great. I picked up my Chalice at a thrift store for about a $1.50. My pentical, well I painted it myself, bought the wooden disk for it for a dollar.
It is not about how much you spend on your tools, as it is your affinity with them. Just remember when shoping for ritual tools, one should never haggle over price. Or so I have been told. So you have nothing to feel ashamed of!

Blessings of God, Goddess and the Ancestors,

Ravyn
Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: May 17, 2007, 03:24:07 am »

Of course traditionallist will definately disagree about using an old kitchen knife, but if it works for you then go for it.

I'm not entirely sure that statement is true, the cunning men and women of times gone by which is probably the nearest thing there actually was to a witch in the way we understand it, would have required tools to be functional and practical, rather than ceremonial. Good Iron work wasn't cheap, so assuming that they decided that they had to use a knife in what ever they were doing, thier everyday utility knife, would have been the best they had. So I find it entirely appropriate to use an old kitchen knife, especially if it is one that the owner has used many times, it would in effect be a pre-charged and consecrated item.

Cheesy

Goth
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:May 20, 2007, 11:40:36 am

Religion: witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: May 17, 2007, 04:03:10 am »

I'm wondering, does everything have to be exactly correct?

Only if it's correct for you Wink

Not at all.  Sounds to me like you are discovering what works for you, not following what others may do.

I'm a 'frugal' [kitchen] witch too ~ my wooden spoon and pestle & mortar are my friends lol.  When first starting out on the witchcraft path, there is some pressure from certain sources for you to purchase the 'right' tools, but believe me, they are not necessary.  Besides, you are helping the environment by 'recycling.'

Nothing wrong with using a little initiative Wink

A tool only helps you focus on your intent.  It's not the tool itself that contains the power...it's you.
SunflowerP
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:November 07, 2020, 05:37:46 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Eclectic Wicca-compatible religious Witch (Libertarian Witchcraft)
TCN ID: SunflowerP

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #4: May 17, 2007, 04:26:54 am »

My athame is a former kitchen knife.

I'm not seeing a problem with the receptive/projective hand thing - that's pretty orthodox, unless you mean that you prefer casting your circles just with your hand, and not with your knife at all.  Certainly many folks - I've even heard Traditionalists advocating this - consider it worthwhile to learn how to do such things without tools, though there's a wide range of opinion on whether this is a poor substitute suitable only for emergencies, or a viable standard practice.  I'm pretty much of the "what works for you" school of thought, so the question that comes to my mind is, if you prefer not to use your knife to cast, what purpose does your knife serve?  (That gets into fine-tuning the details of your personal path - all kinds of stuff about exactly how things are done and why they're done in just that way - so you may not yet have an answer to that.  If you're still at the "the books say I'm supposed to, so I do, but I'm not sure why" stage, my advice would be to get so you're comfortable casting either with your knife or just with your hand - it'll keep your options open as your path develops.)

There's no requirement that you have to have expensive, elaborate tools and supplies.  Some traditions require that one never haggle over the price of one's tools, always paying the initial asking price, but within the span of witchcraft (Wiccan or otherwise), I can't think of any that insist that asking price must be high, nor that the tools be fancy.  (Some varieties of ceremonial magic favor the rare and costly, but that doesn't have much to do with your stated path.)  Neither elaborateness nor costliness makes a tool better at its magical purpose, nor does buying it at a "witchy" shop - tools from such a shop may have undergone some sort of dedication/consecration, but most often will not have, and it doesn't really matter either way since the dedication/consecration that matters is the one you do, that makes the tool your own.  There's certainly nothing to be ashamed of in buying your tools at second-hand stores or making them yourself; in fact, many older (published in the '80s or earlier) books on modern witchcraft advise just that.

Sunflower

Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
I do so have a life.  I just live part of it online.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others
to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough", at Dreamwidth and LJ
EverFool
Board Staff
Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:September 16, 2011, 12:40:01 pm

Religion: atheist

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #5: May 17, 2007, 05:15:32 am »

Whilst working alone, so long as it works, it doesn't really matter.  If you want to work witha  Coven, it'll be up to them to say what is acceptable in group practice.  (just like any idea that is useful is ok when you're on your own, but can be problematic if you want others to accept it as gospel).

If anal prolapse teaches us anything, it's that it is what is inside that counts.
Purplewitch
Adept Member
Last Login:August 03, 2009, 02:04:40 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: kitchenWitch with Celtic Condiments

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #6: May 17, 2007, 12:01:07 pm »

I'm pretty much of the "what works for you" school of thought,

Personally I have to agree with the general train of thought. If it works for you, then it works, and that is all that counts. If later you join a group where certain things are necessary or part of Tradition or whatever then that is a different thing, but for yourself, go with whatever you are comfortable doing. Including grabbing good bargains Smiley
I have picked up one or two over the years Wink

Aisling
High Adept Member
Last Login:November 11, 2012, 02:17:34 pm

Religion: Eclectic Pagan
TCN ID: Aisling

Blog entries (4)

harvestmoon13

Ignore
« Reply #7: May 17, 2007, 08:29:42 pm »

There's nothing at all wrong as long as it works for you.  There are people out there who would have you believe that you need to spend a lot of money for the proper tools; usually these are the same folks trying to sell you those tools.  The only thing that really matters is if it works for you.

If you want to work witha  Coven, it'll be up to them to say what is acceptable in group practice.  (just like any idea that is useful is ok when you're on your own, but can be problematic if you want others to accept it as gospel).

I'd add that if you're thinking of joining a coven and they require that you have or buy lots of expensive or specialized items (fancy athames, high priced robes, etc.), be wary and don't be afraid to question the reasoning.  I've seen this happen in a situation where a coven founder was a silent partner in a shop selling over-priced pagan supplies.  Personally, I'd rather be a solitary than to join with such an unscrupulous individual.

Jenett
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 23, 2020, 06:56:44 pm

Religion: Priestess in initiatory religious witchcraft tradition

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #8: May 17, 2007, 08:38:54 pm »

Correct by whose standards, is the real question. Different traditions - and even groups within traditions - may have different feelings about some of what you bring up. Certainly, what you do in your personal practice, if it works, that's a great place to start.

That said, some specific thoughts:

Athame:
There are some traditional reasons for an athame to be double-bladed, or to be made out of specific materials (like having iron content.) If something else works for you, cool - but I've gotten a lot of good stuff out of looking at why some of those traditions exist. (And my opinion of some of this has definitely changed over the years.)

Fingers:
Fingers are an excellent option - they're definitely particularly good in crowded spaces, outside, or in cases where a blade is otherwise potentially problematic. That said, I think we use different tools for different reasons - after all, we use a hammer to bang in nails, not any heavy object with a flat bit. Using the appropriate tool for the task makes a lot more sense to me, philosophically.

When it comes to circle casting, sometimes that's my fingers. Sometimes it's my athame. Very occaisionally, it's my wand. Whichever one I use, I know why I'm using it that time, and what I expect the tool to help me do more easily/clearly/efficiently/enjoyably (whichever of those apply.)

The right hand/left hand thing is fairly standard, by the way, at least for people who are right hand dominant. (I do know people who are left-hand dominant: they then use their left as projective, and right as receptive, except if we're doing group work where that breaks flow.)

Again, most of these things really don't matter unless you're considering group work - and even then, it's more a matter of "expect that your preferences may change, and that doesn't mean your previous choices were wrong - just that you're needing a new tool set in a new setting" than anything else.

Depends on how you mean this.

I think it's bad to be miserly to my Gods, the same way that I don't like being miserly to my friends. That means that I don't select items for my altar based solely on cost - i.e. I don't buy the cheapest thing just because it's cheapest.

That said, I don't think I need lots of pricy things to be a good witch. Outside of purely decorative elements (not necessary, and collected over 5+ years), the most expensive item I paid for on my altar was something like $15. Most of the items were gifts from people who love me. (The decorative stuff - ok, that's pricier: a good friend of mine is a jewelry maker, and I hang my necklaces of hers, real works of art and magic - by my altar. Not cheap, but lovely. And I both wear them, and except them to make my life more beautiful for many years to come.)

I do intend to get a really well-made athame with quality materials when my budget allows, but that's the one thing I haven't found a good solution for that matches my requirements for quality of material. (Cheap steel is fairly easy to find: quality materials are trickier. Ideally, I'd also prefer handmade.)

I do also do things like spend a little more for deity candles, or for the salt I use, because in the quantities I use those things, I can afford things like good sea salt, and beeswax candles. I've got a very tight budget, but those things bring me a lot more pleasure than plain salt, or cheap tealights. (Though I'll use both of those when I need larger quantities, or am really tight on money.)

Blog: Thoughts from a threshold: http://gleewood.org/threshold
Info for seekers: http://gleewood.org/seeking
Pagan books and resources: http://gleewood.org/books
Mama Dragon
Journeyman
Last Login:April 22, 2008, 02:02:36 pm

Religion: Eclectic Cosmologist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: May 19, 2007, 12:57:49 am »

I am one of "those" people  who believe that what is in your heart and your intent outweighs the  cost of tools.

It is what is right for you in relation to you Deity or Deities-- there is no need to feel awkward, lesser, or "ashamed"  of anything.

If simple inexpensive tools  and  straight forward practices  work best for you and your Deity/Deities, live it love it celebrate it.

If you and your Deity/Deities  enjoy opulence and rituals to rival a Busby Berkley production that is no less holy or appropriate

That's the news from Peripheral Village.This is the Mayor Signing Off.

It is not wise to annnoy a dragon when you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

That's the news from Peripheral Village. This is the Mayor Signing Off.

It's not wise to annoy a dragon when you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
lol
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2007, 01:48:38 pm

Religion: eclectic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: May 19, 2007, 04:45:21 am »

I think scrawling down the replies you have your answer- private ritual is private and there for is done with anything and in anyway that suits you, there is nothing wrong with having the confidence to follow your instincts. I would be very dubious of anyone who disagreed with your methods.
In wicca you are chosing to follow a path that likes to think of itself as the decendant of the old natural religions of our ancestors, and as such what they would have used was what was available around them - there were no handy pagan supply shops.

Personally I don't have an altar, I don't have an athame, nor a chalice, my choice to make a circle would be my hand or my wand, the last public ritual I performed was the blessing at my friends wedding and I used the wand that he had given me as a gift, the cup I used was a gift from my partner and was part of a set he had rescued from someone that was binning them.

Wands are very personal, I would never buy one, they are given as a gift from the tree from which they came. At the end of the day I'm not paying anyone a small fortune for a stick.
I always use my hand for circle casting, or making any kind of protective stigil I feel the energy is more direct and I have more control.
At the end of the day there is no right and wrong way there is only the intent ( which if course could be wrong)
One thing I always bare in mind is the old saying 'be careful what you wish for it might come true'
thats something to worry about.

Reality is a delusion created by the lack of alcohol
Nevyn
Journeyman
Last Login:February 01, 2011, 10:42:36 am

Religion: None

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: May 19, 2007, 06:31:23 am »

Wands are very personal, I would never buy one, they are given as a gift from the tree from which they came. At the end of the day I'm not paying anyone a small fortune for a stick.

Slightly OT, but a friend of mine owns an occult supplies and bookshop, and one day had a rather nervous young man come in asking about wands. He has a selection of rather excellent hand-carved wands made by a local pagan artist, so the customer was shown them. Unfortunately they were either not to his taste or too expensive.

My friend said that in all honesty he would be better making his own wand anyway. To which the young man replied, but what are wands made out of generally. My friend replied "wood" the young man looked really rather confuzzled and said, well where am I going to get that from then; flaberghasted my friend said, well how about a tree! The young man took a step back looking even more confuzed at this response and said, A tree a real tree? And promptly walked out the shop never to be seen again.

None so queer as folks eh!

Thesaly
Journeyman
Last Login:May 13, 2008, 06:10:33 pm

Religion: Ecclectic Wiccan (for now)

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: May 19, 2007, 06:56:47 am »

My friend said that in all honesty he would be better making his own wand anyway. To which the young man replied, but what are wands made out of generally. My friend replied "wood" the young man looked really rather confuzzled and said, well where am I going to get that from then; flaberghasted my friend said, well how about a tree! The young man took a step back looking even more confuzed at this response and said, A tree a real tree? And promptly walked out the shop never to be seen again.

Almost sounds like someone had gotten absolutely all their information from HP and nothing else!
RandallS
Co-Host
Administrator
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:October 30, 2020, 08:18:05 am

Religion: Hellenic Pagan
TCN ID: ADMIN

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #13: May 19, 2007, 08:26:24 am »

ROFL. That's a very confused person. I wonder if he got all his ideas about wands from Harry Potter?

Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog - Forum] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host
MoonDawg
Senior Newbie
Last Login:May 25, 2007, 01:56:07 pm

Religion: I'm a Paradoxymoron!

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #14: May 19, 2007, 05:00:15 pm »

... does everything have to be exactly correct?
... but is that anything to be ashamed of?
Magick, being the art of demonstrating Intention, is a very personal thing. 

Depending on one's present outlook and intentions, making Magick can be an elaborate or a simple process.  "Correct" is, as "Correct" does.  There's not a thing to be ashamed of, when it comes to your personal preferences.

I've got a lot of years' time spent working with various tools. Nearly all have been replaced by other - more immediately desireable ones - over time.  the "things of Magick" are essentially just that - things.  While certain things have certain useful properties and tendencies, they're ultimately conduits for the power coming from YOU.

Kitchen knife?  Why not???  While many folks love to have ritual tools especially reserved for making Magick, many others enjoy less formal, more "relaxed" means * tools.

Nowadays, I too, mostly use my "naked" projective hand (often the same fingers as you use) ... once-in-a-while, a nice (very inespensive, BTW) athame...sometimes a crystal.

What's correct is what works for you. Period.

Having said that, when we work in groups, it's helpful to align with our fellow Workers, and that often requires same-tools, same-rites, etc.  Not that this is "more right" than what you experience as personally powerful ... just that it can help everyone to "be on the same page."

I would suggest Bonewits' book, Real Magic.  He's a master of communicating the basis of Magick, and is a different process for every person.

Sounds like you're doing jus' fine!

Bright Blessings to you!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 05:11:31 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

god is alive...magic is afoot...

I'm on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/MoonDawg108

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)