The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 25, 2020, 07:53:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2020, 07:53:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Question regarding magickal tools...  (Read 6684 times)
Driven by Dreams
Journeyman
Last Login:December 18, 2011, 10:11:07 pm
United States United States

Religion: Absurdism

From LiveJournal Community: Cat_Macros

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #15: May 21, 2007, 12:00:49 am »

I am a Witch who is following a Solitary Wicca path (at least until I figure out my basic beliefs before moving onto a Coven-search)... and as I read some things I'm wondering, does everything have to be exactly correct?

For example, I don't want to use an athame, I prefer using an old kitchen knife to substitute. Also, when it comes to casting circles, I prefer to use my index and middle fingers on my right hand (dominant hand) to project energies and my left hand (receptive hand) to draw in energies.

Is there anything wrong with those preferences?

Also, I'm a cheap Witch... I prefer getting the lowest price to save my money as much as possible... I don't go for fancy things as some do... it makes me feel awkward, but is that anything to be ashamed of?

I use whatever's useful. The same book I use to write spell or working notes, I also use for bills and groceries. The same knife I use to do crafts, I use to clean wax off my altars. I burn incense in a glass ashtray I *ahem* adopted from an ex-roommate who left it behind. Hasn't brought my house crashing down on my head quite yet, so I wouldn't worry a huge deal about it.... Smiley

On the other hand, most of my workings don't deal with deities or other people (I'm just hugely anti-social like that) and I'm not Wiccan, so that probably won't fly as well in your situation. In a group setting, you'll likely have access to a group set of tools and if you're working with specific deities, it makes sense to me that the tools you use in their rituals are things that are pleasing to/ appropriate for connecting with them. Doesn't mean that can't be something found in a thrift shop though, if there's a strong connection there.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

ScorpioMoon
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:November 10, 2010, 03:01:29 pm

Religion: Wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #16: May 22, 2007, 06:34:14 pm »

I am a Witch who is following a Solitary Wicca path (at least until I figure out my basic beliefs before moving onto a Coven-search)... and as I read some things I'm wondering, does everything have to be exactly correct?

For example, I don't want to use an athame, I prefer using an old kitchen knife to substitute. Also, when it comes to casting circles, I prefer to use my index and middle fingers on my right hand (dominant hand) to project energies and my left hand (receptive hand) to draw in energies.

Is there anything wrong with those preferences?

Also, I'm a cheap Witch... I prefer getting the lowest price to save my money as much as possible... I don't go for fancy things as some do... it makes me feel awkward, but is that anything to be ashamed of?

The leader of our eclectic Wiccan group has just informed us that she is stepping out of the group, leaving me to become the new leader. Although this makes me nervous (I'm not really leader material) I'm excited about the chance to try some new things with the group. The former leader had the "vision" that everything must be done correctly. Which may work well, but doesn't teach much and isn't very interesting.

One of my ideas is to practice casting the circle using different things (athame, wand, wooden spoon, fingers) and see if we can feel any difference in the circle once it's cast. I think we'll learn a lot more that way (me too) than by doing it "the correct way".  Grin

I guess what I'm saying is I think you should try a variety of things before deciding what works best for you. As one responder wrote, it may be that no one thing is best but you end up using different methods or different tools depending on what you want to accomplish. Good luck.

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult.
~ Rita Rudner ~
hassMysteria
Journeyman
Last Login:November 29, 2007, 05:59:40 pm

Religion: Solitary Witch

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #17: May 22, 2007, 08:08:58 pm »

The leader of our eclectic Wiccan group has just informed us that she is stepping out of the group, leaving me to become the new leader. Although this makes me nervous (I'm not really leader material) I'm excited about the chance to try some new things with the group. The former leader had the "vision" that everything must be done correctly. Which may work well, but doesn't teach much and isn't very interesting.

One of my ideas is to practice casting the circle using different things (athame, wand, wooden spoon, fingers) and see if we can feel any difference in the circle once it's cast. I think we'll learn a lot more that way (me too) than by doing it "the correct way".  Grin

I guess what I'm saying is I think you should try a variety of things before deciding what works best for you. As one responder wrote, it may be that no one thing is best but you end up using different methods or different tools depending on what you want to accomplish. Good luck.

I agree with this in a lot of ways.........everyone is going to go down their own path and different things work for different people....if a kitchen knife works for you who's to say it's wrong? I saw a book titled "the brazilian healer with akitchen knife"  I have not read it or know much about it other than that I think it's about a woman who traveled around the world meeting healers and the like and I s'pose one of thos ehealers was a Brazilian who used a kitchen knife in some way.............soo....that is just me totally rambling on....but either way I don't think there is a ton of need to worry about the specifics, however if it is of interest to you, I have found that some of the traditions and set motions and tools are for a purpose b/c when something is repeated and repeated it works more and more and created a 'thoughtform' upon the astral realm which if propery "fed" can become self-reliant/sufficient....and witches of the past have already done certain rituals and such using the same tools and same rituals....and thus they are likely to work with more ease because they have already been done so many times over again.......BUT that is all opinion and not necessarily one of my own, but one that is out there and to take into consideration Smiley

good luck!  Cheesy and Blessed Be!!

"envy is ignorance; imitation is suicide"
lol
Apprentice
Last Login:June 29, 2007, 01:48:38 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: eclectic polytheist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #18: May 25, 2007, 02:27:50 pm »

Slightly OT, Probably- sorry but had a rather annoying experience at a convention when someone obviously neither as thoughtful, knowledgable nor as  conciderate as your friend took me for an idiot and tried the hard sell........

but a friend of mine owns an occult supplies and bookshop, and one day had a rather nervous young man come in asking about wands. He has a selection of rather excellent hand-carved wands made by a local pagan artist, so the customer was shown them. Unfortunately they were either not to his taste or too expensive.

A wand as a work of art I can see the attraction have seen some beautiful ones, but theres the wee small voice in my head which says if I'm gonna do something I don't want it contaminated with someone elses intent.

My friend said that in all honesty he would be better making his own wand anyway. To which the young man replied, but what are wands made out of generally. My friend replied "wood" the young man looked really rather confuzzled and said, well where am I going to get that from then; flaberghasted my friend said, well how about a tree! The young man took a step back looking even more confuzed at this response and said, A tree a real tree? And promptly walked out the shop never to be seen again.

None so queer as folks eh!

Aye well hmmn
lol

Reality is a delusion created by the lack of alcohol
DazzlednFrazzled
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 03, 2007, 03:30:32 pm

Religion: Seeking

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #19: May 28, 2007, 11:52:43 pm »

At the end of the day I'm not paying anyone a small fortune for a stick.

ahahahha!!   Cheesy

I agree also... I'm extremely out of practice; but I have all of my old *tools* still... and was really working with a budget!  Even if $$ were no object, it is just my personal belief that something made or gifted is in many ways "better"... (not always... but it was my preference).  There isn't a thing wrong with having an athame that was once a kitchen knife... I'd try to use only the one for ritual purposes though and if you felt so inclined, decorate it yourself with items from nature, maybe even straight from your backyard  Smiley

I purchased my own Athame from EBay... to me, it is stunning and with shipping I spent less than $15 (USD).  I cleansed it before I ever used it, so there are some options available if you want to have something special without spending a lot of cash.  In the end it is up to you!!   Wink

"I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details" ~ Albert Einstein

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)