The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
September 26, 2020, 09:00:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 09:00:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ancestor Worship in Modern Society  (Read 22806 times)
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #45: February 03, 2010, 09:49:44 pm »

Here's an interesting article on frith.

http://www.friggasweb.org/frith.html

It's the same article I linked to before, on reply #33.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Jane C
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:55:26 am
United States United States

Religion: Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #46: February 03, 2010, 09:52:32 pm »

It's the same article I linked to before, on reply #33.

Oops, missed that link.

"ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.earth -- reboot universe? (Y/N)"
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:May 18, 2015, 04:18:28 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #47: February 04, 2010, 11:22:22 am »

This has been expressed in passing a few times here I think... what do others find: Does studying or honoring the ancestors help your present family connections? How so exactly?

Beloved Dead and Forgotten Dead are just terms that I came up, since I wanted a way to differentiate between the two and the words beloved and forgotten were appropriate.

As for present family... yes and no. I am more mindful of the need to spend time with my family while they are still with me (or I with them- you never know, with the Moirae) but that said family makes it very difficult. One side is half a continent away; one side is completely apathetic to family connections; one side is obsessed with immediate family, to an unhealthy degree. Honoring my dead certainly makes me think about how I want to approach the idea of family when I am having my own, and what values and approaches I want to pass on to them.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #48: February 04, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »

I think you (general you) can increase your frith, increasing your family's frith that way, and so increase your descendants frith as well, but I fail at seeing how honoring ancestors would increase your frith. Of course, if you can increase your frith by honoring the gods, I suppose honoring the ancestors should do it too... Am I writing nonsense?  Huh
I think you're viewing frith as something one has, but I'm not sure it is. It's something that is between people. So a relationship can be frithful, but an individual doesn't have frith. So honoring one's ancestors makes the relationship with them more frithful, so increasing frith, but doesn't increase your frith, because frith isn't something you have by yourself. Does that make sense? Or am I talking at cross-purposes again?  Smiley

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #49: February 04, 2010, 09:02:07 pm »

I think you're viewing frith as something one has, but I'm not sure it is. It's something that is between people. So a relationship can be frithful, but an individual doesn't have frith. So honoring one's ancestors makes the relationship with them more frithful, so increasing frith, but doesn't increase your frith, because frith isn't something you have by yourself. Does that make sense? Or am I talking at cross-purposes again?  Smiley

See? I knew there was something wrong with what I was writing. LOL. I understand what you mean, and yes, I was thinking about frith that way (as something people has), even when I had read many times that frith is between people. Thanks for the clarification! Smiley

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #50: February 06, 2010, 03:12:51 am »

Thanks for the clarification! Smiley
You're welcome Smiley

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #51: February 19, 2010, 10:48:39 am »

Feel free to add any other digressing thoughts...

I was on my way to school yesterday, and my mind once again wandered places I wish it didn't. Here's the new predicament it came up with:

When one honors the Gods / Goddesses of their ancestors, should they also honor in some way the Judeo / Christian God? Both sides of my family can trace its roots way back to the English isles and Germanic areas, but I know a good chunk of recent family were die hard Bible belt souther baptists / church of christ.

What do you, the reader, think?

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #52: February 19, 2010, 12:22:10 pm »

When one honors the Gods / Goddesses of their ancestors, should they also honor in some way the Judeo / Christian God?
This doesn't really apply to me, because when I honor my ancestors I'm honoring my family, those who came before me to get me where I'm at now, and also cultural predecessors, like 'hey, thanks for the awesome art/technology/etc.!'

Point being, I don't honor the gods of my ancestors. Sure, the maternal side of my family came from Germany, but it's a coincidence that I honor Germanic gods (and really, I use mostly Scandinavian or Icelandic sources anyway).

Not trying to be ignorant, but why exactly would you feel the need to honor the god(s) of your ancestors?

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #53: February 19, 2010, 06:50:53 pm »

Not trying to be ignorant, but why exactly would you feel the need to honor the god(s) of your ancestors?

I won't lie, the motivation lies more in that I wish I had a closer family and kinship group, which is something I never admitted to myself until I began a true spiritual path about a year ago.

Rest assured Hyacinty Belle, you're not sounding ignorant. Here's me: starts as devote by the book christian, then atheist, satanist (agnsty age), agnostic, sophist, existentialist, then... polytheist? Needless to say, there's a lot I'm ignorant about. What sounds like a philosophical college education is really me running around with my head cut off.  Cheesy

I guess by trying to honor the gods and goddesses of my ancestors, even I guess to an extent the christian god, in a way I feel like I'm communicating with my ancestors, because those gods and goddesses knew them to a degree, while I didn't.

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #54: February 19, 2010, 08:49:14 pm »

Here's me: starts as devote by the book christian, then atheist, satanist (agnsty age), agnostic, sophist, existentialist, then... polytheist? Needless to say, there's a lot I'm ignorant about. What sounds like a philosophical college education is really me running around with my head cut off.  Cheesy
ahahaha. Hate when that happens. Tongue I'm actually in an existentialist literature class this semester and it's seeping into my life. ha.

I guess by trying to honor the gods and goddesses of my ancestors, even I guess to an extent the christian god, in a way I feel like I'm communicating with my ancestors, because those gods and goddesses knew them to a degree, while I didn't.
Hmm... I personally would never have thought of doing that, but hey, different strokes for different folks! The bigger question may be would the Christian God be glad for an offering or something from a "non believer"? lol. Let us know how it goes!

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
alleyesonazarath
Master Member

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #55: February 20, 2010, 03:01:14 pm »

The bigger question may be would the Christian God be glad for an offering or something from a "non believer"? lol. Let us know how it goes!

I couldn't think of a more awkward prayer and worship situation. Already I'm stumbling over what I would ask, and which version of the same god I'd pray and worship to! What most likely is going to happen: I won't end up doing it, but I'll stop blaspheming that God. That alone will be a sacrifice for me (I'm a slow learner!)

Existential literature can be fun, especially when you get a hold of the existential rage stuff. Herman Hesse wrote some good existential stuff like Steppenwolf, which he wrote before Siddhartha.... VERY different books, lol!

DeCarabas
Apprentice
Last Login:June 18, 2010, 12:07:28 pm

Religion: Kemetic/Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #56: February 21, 2010, 11:54:47 pm »

When one honors the Gods / Goddesses of their ancestors, should they also honor in some way the Judeo / Christian God?

I do think it can be helpful to try to learn about the religions your ancestors followed, in the same way that it can be helpful to learn about all the other aspects of their cultures.  And for me, ancestor work has helped me get over some of my hangups about Christianity.  But honoring my ancestors by trying to understand how they lived and what they believed in doesn't mean I should adopt their beliefs myself.

But if learning about their beliefs inspires you to form your own relationship with your ancestors' god(s), then that's great.
Wodening
Apprentice
Last Login:July 22, 2010, 06:22:19 am

Religion: Anglo-Saxon Heathen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #57: April 16, 2010, 08:09:59 am »

The idea of ancestors, disir, alfar, etc. is something I have always somewhat struggled with. I understand that the choices of my ancestors and Ancestors have affected my life today, and that my choices will affect my family in a similar way. I think this is going to turn into a list of questions; feel free to answer as you see fit. Smiley

~ Why do you honor the Ancestors (big A or little a)? If you don't, why not?
~ How do you honor them?

I think my Ancestors contributed to who I am though the passage of hamingja and orlog. They make up who I am. I also think they are more ready to lend a hand in my life than the Gods as they have a more vested interest in me. They wish to be remembered and I remember them. I honor them through my study of genealogy. I also pray to them almost daily. About once or twice a month I offer them wine. And I visit the graves of my parents almost weekly. Ancestor worship really plays a bigger role in my life than worship of the Gods. As I said this is because I think they are more ready to help.

~ Do you think modern, capitalist culture inhibits one's connection to the Ancestors? I kind of get the feeling, living in America, that we are SO individualistic and our country is SUCH a baby that we don't really have any concept of what it means to appreciate the past. Just a thought; curious as to what those on both sides of the pond think. When visiting Northern Ireland, I got the sense that common history was so much more valued there. I really don't feel we have that in America.

I do think it does. We do not emphaize history here in the United States, and many folks do not even know who their great grandparents are. I have been watching a tv program where celeberties search for their ancestors. I was surprised at how ignorant they were of their own past. I can give you the names of my ancestors back for several generations and what historical events played a role in their lives. I have also studied local history. To me this should all be taught in the schools, and I think it is a sad note on our society that it is not.

~ What about people who are adopted? What Ancestors would they worship and why?

Feel free to add any other digressing thoughts...

I think folks that are adopted are brought into their adopted family's line. That is their ancestors are the ancestors of the family that adopted them.

---
Swain Wodening's Blog
http://swainblog.englatheod.org

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)