The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
October 27, 2020, 12:25:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2020, 12:25:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wights  (Read 4245 times)
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm
United States United States

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Topic Start: January 29, 2010, 04:23:11 pm »

I'm curious about land and house wights.

What is your understanding of them?

How large a role do they play in your practices/beliefs?

Have you had direct experience with them, or do you accept them without personal experience?

In what ways do you connect with them, honor them, etc?

Please answer any or all of these questions, as you like, or perhaps even a question that I didn't know to ask.  Wink

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Casey
Master Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:30:47 am

Religion: Heathen

Grab a beer and celebrate day!

Blog entries (2)

Ignore
« Reply #1: January 29, 2010, 11:17:40 pm »

Have you had direct experience with them, or do you accept them without personal experience?

Please answer any or all of these questions, as you like, or perhaps even a question that I didn't know to ask.  Wink

1.  I understand that the Vaettir are broken into families that include the Alfar, Dvergar, and Jotnar.  There are many more, but it is my basic understanding that each family is closely associated with different aspects of nature and the home.

2.  Aside from an occasional gifting very, very little.  I let my wife handle this since she feels a closer bond.

3.  See above.

4.  Depends on the circumstance, but generally it is a small offering fitting with the wight.  A land-wight, for example, would be left selected fruits and vegetables.

Edit - Please do note that I consider all of this to be UPG

bobthesane
Lone Sysadmin of the Apocalypse
Administrator
Master Member
Last Login:November 02, 2011, 06:30:06 pm

Religion: Asatru

Love the Linux. Fear the drunken penguin.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #2: January 30, 2010, 07:39:20 am »

The wights to most Asatruar play a horribly important role. It is the wights we deal with on a daily basis. They have a much stronger impact on our lives than even the gods. Most blots (at least, ones I've ever been to or hosted) include offerings to the landwights in order to appease them and ensure their friendship.

And yes, I've had personal experience with them.

Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #3: January 30, 2010, 08:56:09 am »

Some kind of being which inhabits the dwelling seems to be pretty common across Germanic and Celtic folklore. I wonder whether house-wights, brownies, tomte et all are all just different names for the same thing? Or maybe different tribes of the same thing? I make offerings to our house-wight and sometimes do deals (i.e 'keep the house safe while we're away and when we get back you can have some of the spiced rum'... ).

I need to get my relationships with the land wights at home and work in order. I've been neglecting them a little  Embarrassed

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #4: January 30, 2010, 10:36:37 am »

I haven't had any personal experience with any kind of wights. I put coins under my bed for the house-wights, and whenever I'm in desperate need of money I ask them to bring prosperity to the house as I give them the coins. Usually I get some students and earn some money when I do that. Smiley

What I don't know is what will I do with those coins if/when I move. It's theirs, I can't take them with me, unless they come with me too.

dragonfly_high
Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 12:03:08 am

Religion: Eclectic - leaning towards ADF

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: January 30, 2010, 03:14:18 pm »

The wights to most Asatruar play a horribly important role. It is the wights we deal with on a daily basis. They have a much stronger impact on our lives than even the gods. Most blots (at least, ones I've ever been to or hosted) include offerings to the landwights in order to appease them and ensure their friendship.

And yes, I've had personal experience with them.

I've been wanting to work more with them but I have no clue where to start.  Are their any good sites or books?
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: January 30, 2010, 03:15:43 pm »

I haven't had any personal experience with any kind of wights. I put coins under my bed for the house-wights, and whenever I'm in desperate need of money I ask them to bring prosperity to the house as I give them the coins. Usually I get some students and earn some money when I do that. Smiley

What I don't know is what will I do with those coins if/when I move. It's theirs, I can't take them with me, unless they come with me too.

Could you bury them? or have a hidey hole, like they did a hundred yrs ago, to hide items in the house?
Hyacinth Belle
Adept Member
Last Login:December 03, 2011, 01:02:54 pm

Religion: Heathen/Taoist
TCN ID: Hyacinth_Belle

Making my sun run...

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #7: January 30, 2010, 03:44:45 pm »

I've been wanting to work more with them but I have no clue where to start.  Are their any good sites or books?
You might find Elves, Wights, and Trolls interesting, although I can't offer a personal recommendation as I haven't read it.

For the OP, I can't say I have much of a relationship or experience with wights. Mostly because I know so little about the subject! I do give general offerings to them, although I guess mostly for land wights. I honestly don't feel much of a house spirit here.

"She who stands on tiptoe / doesn't stand firm. / She who rushes ahead / doesn't go far. / She who tries to shine / dims her own light. / She who defines herself / can't know who she really is. / She who has power over others / can't empower herself. / She who clings to her work / will create nothing that endures. / If you want to accord with the Tao, / just do your job, then let go." ~ Tao Te Ching, chp. 24

"Silent and thoughtful a prince's son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15
Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #8: January 30, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »

Thanks - that was my next question as well!! HB, I'll check into the title you suggested.

~*~Colleen~*~
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Selegna
Master Member
Last Login:July 26, 2012, 08:50:53 pm
Argentina Argentina

Religion: Eclectic, polytheist, follower of Loki, Brighid and Hera.

Blog entries (0)

IceAngie

Ignore
« Reply #9: January 30, 2010, 08:33:30 pm »

Could you bury them? or have a hidey hole, like they did a hundred yrs ago, to hide items in the house?

Yes, I think that would work. Thanks for the idea!

Collinsky
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #10: January 30, 2010, 09:52:29 pm »

Some kind of being which inhabits the dwelling seems to be pretty common across Germanic and Celtic folklore. I wonder whether house-wights, brownies, tomte et all are all just different names for the same thing? Or maybe different tribes of the same thing?

I had wondered this as well, but am not entirely familiar with the ways that Celtic and Germanic beliefs (using huge umbrella terms for convenience!) are similar, and the ways in which they differ. I think the different tribes idea is interesting.

~*~Colleen~*~
dragonfly_high
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: January 30, 2010, 11:10:57 pm »

Yes, I think that would work. Thanks for the idea!

Your welcome. Cheesy
Maythe
Master Member
Last Login:August 12, 2011, 02:15:02 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Previously known as Impqueen

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: January 31, 2010, 02:41:52 am »

You might find Elves, Wights, and Trolls interesting, although I can't offer a personal recommendation as I haven't read it.

I read it a while back and liked it. My bullshit-o-meter has got more sensitive since then though so I'd need to read it again to be sure. The author Kveldulf Gundarsson edited the 'Our Troth' books which are pretty good. Jenny Blain has written a book on the subject 'Wights and Ancestors: Heathenism in a Living Landscape' but it seems to be out of print.

"I have in this War a burning private grudge - which would probably make me a better soldier at 49 than I was at 22: against that ruddy little ignoramus Adolf Hitler... Ruining, perverting, misapplying, and making for ever accursed, that noble northern spirit, a supreme contribution to Europe, which I have ever loved, and tried to present in its true light." J.R.R. Tolkein

My new blog: Maytheweed's Words

I'm on Ravelry as a newbie knitter - PM me if you want to friend me Wink
Jane C
Apprentice
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 02:55:26 am

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #13: February 02, 2010, 11:42:42 pm »

I view them as spirits of a place. 

Large.  They have a more immediate effect on my life.

I think so.  It's a feeling I have.  When I found my current house I hadn't settled on Heathenry yet.  The thing is it's about 1/2 mile from where I grew up and my brothers and I still own that place.  I had the feeling right away of being home.  I had lived in my other house for 19 years and didn't feel like that.  It's UPG, but I feel the land wight/s recognized me.  The house wights seemed to welcome me also.  From the first day I moved in it just felt right.

Small offerings, food, drink, coins etc.  I have garden area outside with a large rock that I leave offerings.  In the house I have a box window in my kitchen with plants, pretty stones, small offering bowls.  One has a coins and a marble in it.  I also offer coffee, mead, and beer on occasion. 

"ERROR 406: file corrupt: config.earth -- reboot universe? (Y/N)"

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)