The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 20, 2022, 06:17:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2022, 06:17:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: personal search towards the right path to follow  (Read 3961 times)
meown
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2011, 08:04:35 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: still searching for answers

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 02, 2010, 11:07:52 am »

Hi my second post yeay ^^ , okay, back to business.

I'm a 21 year old girl and my parents (especially my father) are very rome catholic. I don't think it is bad to believe in it, and I understand what it's about and I know why they think of it as good.
I don't want to say there is no God, but I can't say there is. I don't want to give, I don't want to give out.
I still enter churches without having weird feelings. But I'm not a regular customer. I only go when I have to (like marriages, funerals, season-services for past away family members). I feel obligated to do this because of the members of my family to support them in happy and less happier moments.
But church actually leaves me cold, because I believe there is something, but not in a form as concrete as they picture God (ultimate power, power of love, creator of heaven and earth, father,...).
I believe there is something that keeps everything going (planets spinning, water flowing, birth of new life), more in a abstract form, like energy or something.
I also believe in the exsistance of Jezus, and I believe in his good deeds in history, but I see him as a good human who has taught us alot, but not as a God. I don't think he was perfect and never made mistakes, he was an example to many, but he was human, nothing more nothing less.

I feel attracted towards witchcraft of wicca. I think it's rather witchcraft because the wiccans have a god and goddes and stuff, which I cannot believe in, how hard I try (little bit the same as the Rome catholic thing), I keep seeing it in an abstract way.

But I'm not sure if it is for the right reasons. I got inspired by the series Charmed. I don't think this IS the things I should expect from witchcraft, but it just made me curious.
I also don't want feel like lying to my family, but I do want to search my own way.

I am longing to make a book of shadows. I just like to have something to hold on to in hard times. Spells that would give me energy and stuff to keep going. I want it to be something positive, something light, bright, giving support and having a soft appearance.

Again some problems...I find most sites and information so dark. It is giving me an impression of sadness, depression,...
Is it really so that witchcraft is so complete consuming to drain all energy out, or am I looking in the wrong places? Should I be carefull with people who claim to be a witch and behave or have sites like these? I'm afraid to get really hurt (emotionally).

Again at the moment I feel like writing something about the angel of death. Because one of my familymembers is very sick. It might be that he dies. I want to be prepared.
I like to picture death as a messenger, someone who seperates body and soul and brings the soul somewhere else. That's why it's easy for me to picture him that way, an angel like in mythology.
But the explaination of the angel of death in mythology as a destroyer, I don't believe in. Death is part of life, and how hard it is to lose someone we love, I can't blame anyone for it.
Is it justified to rip this person out of an ancient context and "editing" him?
Is it right to use him as a symbol, even if I don't believe in angels?

My last question: (when I've solved all of them I think I've made up my mind)
I'd like to practice magic, and spells and stuff. But I often feel like not experienced enough to do so. I believe in certain energies and that some things must be left alone. I am afraid to call a ghost or something and make terrible mistakes. My boyfriend (he was very serious about it) told me that his grandmother hadn't "crossed over", "left", or how you call it. She was protecting him. He miraculously survive 3 terrible car accidents with only a few scars. His grandmother is a good person, and I have no problem her watching over him. But I don't want to mess things up. Is it safe?
Can you give me some tips to make sure I don't screw up?

I know this is a long text, so if you've gotten here congratulations. It contains alot of questions. But when you read this, would you advise me to continue exploring witchcraft or not, or maybe something else?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 02, 2010, 11:11:16 am »

I feel attracted towards witchcraft of wicca. I think it's rather witchcraft because the wiccans have a god and goddes and stuff, which I cannot believe in, how hard I try (little bit the same as the Rome catholic thing), I keep seeing it in an abstract way.

Witchcraft can be religious or not-it is entirely up to you. I am a Religious Witch by choice, but I know quite a few witches that aren't.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
meown
Senior Apprentice
Belgium Belgium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 02, 2010, 11:14:20 am »

Witchcraft can be religious or not-it is entirely up to you. I am a Religious Witch by choice, but I know quite a few witches that aren't.

And what religion? Is it Wicca, or something else?
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 02, 2010, 11:57:47 am »

And what religion? Is it Wicca, or something else?

Not all witches are Wiccans, and not all Wiccans are witches. It's a bit confusing and may take some exposure to sort those out in your brain. Basically, Wicca is a specific religion (usually duo-theistic with a God and a Goddess, or leaning towards focusing on the Goddess) that may incorporate magical workings. Witchcraft is magical workings that may incorporate religious elements, though a witch's theology doesn't have to pull from Wicca. You could be a polytheistic witch, a pantheistic one, even an atheist witch, if it felt right to you.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
meown
Senior Apprentice
Belgium Belgium

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 02, 2010, 01:50:06 pm »

Not all witches are Wiccans, and not all Wiccans are witches. It's a bit confusing and may take some exposure to sort those out in your brain. Basically, Wicca is a specific religion (usually duo-theistic with a God and a Goddess, or leaning towards focusing on the Goddess) that may incorporate magical workings. Witchcraft is magical workings that may incorporate religious elements, though a witch's theology doesn't have to pull from Wicca. You could be a polytheistic witch, a pantheistic one, even an atheist witch, if it felt right to you.

You often see Wicca and witchcraft go hand in hand. But is it possible to combine it with any other religion? Like catholic? It would simplify alot for me, since my dad is a very catholic person.
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 02, 2010, 02:53:56 pm »

You often see Wicca and witchcraft go hand in hand. But is it possible to combine it with any other religion? Like catholic? It would simplify alot for me, since my dad is a very catholic person.

I can't speak about Wicca, as I'm not Wiccan and have never been, but many consider witchcraft to be a practice, not a belief system -- in that sense, yes, you can be a Roman Catholic who practices witchcraft. (Whether you could do so openly is another matter.) Witchcraft as a practice can be combined with almost any spiritual path. It can certainly be done in a Christian context! However, finding other Christians who understand may prove to be a challenge, and overcoming teachings that evil is inherent in witchcraft can be a rough personal struggle, even if it something that part of you feels you're being led to by the very God you put your trust in.

There are also Christo-pagans, and many of those choose to follow Roman Catholic traditions - you may wish to try to find out more about those beliefs. Within the Christian faith, there were many mystics whose writings expand on the spiritual ideas of the Church and can help broaden your perspective on the Divine within the Catholic worldview. If you haven't read them already, or it's been a while, Hildegarde von Bingen and Meister Eckhart are a couple I'd suggest off the top of my head. Readings like these can give you new things to think about, without alarming your family.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 02, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »

I am longing to make a book of shadows. I just like to have something to hold on to in hard times. Spells that would give me energy and stuff to keep going. I want it to be something positive, something light, bright, giving support and having a soft appearance.

Go for it! Even if it's just a looseleaf notebook, or a Word document on your computer, keeping a journal of your spiritual/magical journey and collecting your spells and rituals in one place is a great tool.

Again at the moment I feel like writing something about the angel of death. Because one of my familymembers is very sick. It might be that he dies. I want to be prepared.
I like to picture death as a messenger, someone who seperates body and soul and brings the soul somewhere else. That's why it's easy for me to picture him that way, an angel like in mythology.
But the explaination of the angel of death in mythology as a destroyer, I don't believe in. Death is part of life, and how hard it is to lose someone we love, I can't blame anyone for it.
Is it justified to rip this person out of an ancient context and "editing" him?
Is it right to use him as a symbol, even if I don't believe in angels?

I'm not familiar with Christian mythology regarding angels (as I was raised in a Protestant context and only vaguely mentioned angels at Christmas), but there are many different gods and spirits of death that aren't necessarily destroyers. Hermes, for example, was known as Psychopompos, the guy in charge of guiding newly deceased souls to the Underworld.

Also keep in mind that unless you're specifically talking about the angel of death (Azrael?) in a Catholic context, there's no one angel/spirit of death. There are many, across all cultures. If you believe these beings are symbols, then use them as symbols (respectfully). If you believe they're actual beings, do your research and see which god of death seems most approachable to you.

One last thing... many gods of death are also gods of rebirth. Osiris, Persephone, Baldr, Jesus. The dying and resurrected deity. Approaching one of these gods may feel less stressful than a god of "just" death, such as Hades, Hel, or Anubis.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 02, 2010, 04:29:59 pm »

I know this is a long text, so if you've gotten here congratulations. It contains alot of questions. But when you read this, would you advise me to continue exploring witchcraft or not, or maybe something else?

Here are some sites that, while not perfect, are not all gloom and doom, either.

http://wicca.timerift.net/

http://www.witchonthego.com/wicca101.html

http://www.hecatescauldron.org/index.htm

I don't necessarily endorse these sites, I just find that they have less of the usual internet drek than most.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)