The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
November 27, 2021, 08:41:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2021, 08:41:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: becoming a witch or being a witch  (Read 3820 times)
meown
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2011, 08:04:35 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: still searching for answers

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 02, 2010, 11:20:41 am »

I often read on some websites that you can't become a witch. You are a witch or you aren't. What do they mean by that? Do you have to have witches as ancesters or something?
Or do they mean you have to be a witch in an active way, like in every action you perform you must act like one without to much effort?

But you can't be a witch without learning and knowing about it, isn't it? Or am I wrong? Doesn't a witch have a spiritual way of growing?

I all confuses me sometimes...

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 02, 2010, 11:51:23 am »

I often read on some websites that you can't become a witch. You are a witch or you aren't. What do they mean by that? Do you have to have witches as ancesters or something?
Or do they mean you have to be a witch in an active way, like in every action you perform you must act like one without to much effort?

But you can't be a witch without learning and knowing about it, isn't it? Or am I wrong? Doesn't a witch have a spiritual way of growing?

I do not and have not ever considered myself a witch, so keep that in mind while reading my reply. I would strongly disagree with the sentiment that you cannot "become" a witch, as much as I would disagree that one cannot "become" a Pagan, Christian, Democrat, etc. One is not born these things. One is born human. If one has never heard of witchcraft, never been exposed to alternative modes and methods of belief, or felt like it even was possible to have a nature and/or magic(k) based religion, then it's highly unlikely that they'll spontaneously start practicing witchcraft. Exposure (and then exploration) is everything.

I don't feel like a witch, but that doesn't stop me from learning about the various forms of witchcraft and, if I find and of the philosophies or practices beneficial, adopting them into my own belief system. Just don't sweat it - whether someone believes that your "witchiness" (or whatever label/practice you may adopt) is legitimate is their problem, not yours.

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Owl
Adept Member
Last Login:March 07, 2012, 02:46:28 pm

Religion: Hedgewitch?

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 02, 2010, 12:24:40 pm »

I think it would be correct to say that without a personality which is amenable to being a witch, or being pagan, or both, that you probably won't become one.  One of my sisters is so conformist that it almost hurts.  I don't think she has had an original opinion in her life.  So maybe being a witch isn't for her.  Wink

But as Ellen said, you are born human.  What you do with it is for you to decide.

AntlerandHerb.com
HeartShadow - Cutethulhu
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:April 15, 2013, 06:53:07 pm

Religion: FlameKeeper
TCN ID: GenevieveWood

I am the Pirate Teddybear!

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 02, 2010, 12:36:43 pm »

I'd say - ignore those websites. Cheesy  It sounds like people being very full of themselves.

FlameKeeping website: http://www.flamekeeping.org
Dark Midnight
High Adept Member
Last Login:July 05, 2011, 01:47:57 am
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Religious Crystal Witch and FlameKeeper

1 beautiful soul is worth a thousand pretty faces!

Blog entries (0)

Sharon-Anne Bateman

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 02, 2010, 12:42:37 pm »

I often read on some websites that you can't become a witch. You are a witch or you aren't. What do they mean by that?

What they mean is that they haven't the first idea of what they are talking about! What a load of garbage! I was brought up a Catholic and I am now a Witch and have been for many years. I was born a baby, I am now a woman. You grow, you live, you learn, you make your own choices and decisions.

Never forget that it is MY life, no-one else's!

"Payback? Yes, I think so!"

"I seem to exist in a very pretty slice of Hell- Hello? Is there anyone else here?"
meown
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:January 04, 2011, 08:04:35 am
Belgium Belgium

Religion: still searching for answers

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 02, 2010, 02:17:56 pm »

I don't feel like a witch, but that doesn't stop me from learning about the various forms of witchcraft and, if I find and of the philosophies or practices beneficial, adopting them into my own belief system. Just don't sweat it - whether someone believes that your "witchiness" (or whatever label/practice you may adopt) is legitimate is their problem, not yours.

Now you're talking about adopting things out of other philosophies and practices to your own beliefs, can I ask you to take a look at this and giving me your opinion?
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=11470.0
especially paragraph 4 and paragraph 6
thank you!
Marilyn (ABSENTMINDED)
Assistant Board Coordinator
Senior Staff
High Adept Member
Last Login:February 06, 2013, 08:12:28 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: free-flowing animist, Dudeist Priest
TCN ID: Absentminded

Blog entries (11)

« Reply #6: February 02, 2010, 03:15:32 pm »

I'd say - ignore those websites. Cheesy  It sounds like people being very full of themselves.

To me it always sounds like they are claiming 'witch' as an otherkin type of identity - they are it, they were born it, they can't explain the difference in terms non-'kinwitches would understand, yet say they can recognize each other.  Except they rarely do recognize other witches of this type, if the arguments (I am Witch! No you're not you're just a magic user!)  I've seen are anything to go by.

However, I always seem to get chased away with bricks and fire when I make this comparison on those sites.  I don't quite understand why they (almost invariably) look down on Otherkin while making the exact same type of claim for themselves.

Absent

"There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure."
- Jack E. Leonard

Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light.

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

L Cohen
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 02, 2010, 03:20:22 pm »

I often read on some websites that you can't become a witch. You are a witch or you aren't. What do they mean by that?

I think that is kind of like saying, "You're either born a pianist or you're not." Sure, some people are born with an innate talent for music and end up being amazing pianists - but they still have to learn and practice the piano. And there are those who don't have all that natural talent, but through their will to develop their skill and become a good pianist. Even if the one is never quite as miraculously, naturally talented as the other, he is still a pianist.  

I personally think very few people are bornwitches, although I've no doubt some are. Some people are born with natural talents for certain things: healing others, accessing wisdom, perceiving energy, connecting with the spiritual, etc  -- but many of them don't end up being witches. And some do. If my eldest daughter decides to be a witch someday, I'm pretty sure it will be something that comes very naturally to her... but that doesn't mean that she is a born witch, or that my other daughter won't be one.  

I'm not a born witch. I have no witches in my family. It's something I intentionally chose to commit to learning and practicing. Some of it feels very natural and easy, and other parts I have to work for. I don't think it's the sort of thing where I should say, "Well, this is tougher than I thought, and I didn't get immediate results like I wanted, and obviously I'm not cut out for this so I'll just hang up my broom and give up on witchery." My feeling is that this is my path, and that when it's too hard and I hit an area where I'm simply not adept and might want to give up... that means that if I get over myself and buckle down, practice, study, and persevere, then I will grow.  

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 02, 2010, 03:20:36 pm »

Now you're talking about adopting things out of other philosophies and practices to your own beliefs, can I ask you to take a look at this and giving me your opinion?
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?topic=11470.0
especially paragraph 4 and paragraph 6
thank you!

I'll take a look at that thread and respond more on it, but I see no problem with creating your own belief system. You are a unique human being with a unique perspective on life - no one has ever seen or ever will see the world the same way as you. You experience the Divine differently than everyone else, and that relationship between you and your god is unique in all of creation. Changing aspects of your own personal religion to better match your own feelings and preferences will just help you connect better with the Divine. Just go with your gut instinct. What are you drawn to? What makes you feel close to God? How do you want to grow spiritually?

This doesn't mean you completely ignore the context in which certain religious elements exist. Hard polytheism - the belief that all gods are separate, autonomous beings - doesn't sit well with most Christian theology. However, seeing the different gods as aspects (or names) of God, or as the deities holding a similar place to angels and saints, meshes much more neatly.

I don't quite understand why they (almost invariably) look down on Otherkin while making the exact same type of claim for themselves.

Yeah, go figure. People always look for scapegoats in the wrong places. >> *whoo Otherkin love!*

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 02, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »

Once upon a time, BTW witches claimed that only a witch could make a witch..... by that they meant that you could only be a witch if you were initiated into a tradition by another witch.

In some ways, this is still true for the more hard line BTW groups (Gardnerians, Alexandrians, etc)But, most of those groups have also come to understand that witchcraft is a practice open to a huge  variety of folks, with different personal practices and religious beliefs. It is my experience, with talking with other Gards over the years, that most had the core values and beliefs of our faith before they ever heard of Gardner, or Wicca. By coming to us they simply found a name for their pre-existing belief system. So, in some way, maybe they were witches before we got our claws into them bwahahaha Smiley

For myself, I also believe that being a witch is more about your basic intrinsic nature. Most witches and, to some extent, pagans I know, have some simple core values that seem common. Most are more open minded and liberal in their thinking about subjects like spirituality, divinity and the like. They tend to be seekers; of knowledge or faith. And for the most part, not afraid to colour a little outside the lines.

For those bogged down in conservative thinking, tied to dogma and afraid of censure, they are probably not "god" witch material... and that is just because of their nature....

To answer you, being a witch has nothing to do with ancestry, knowledge level or you individual woo-woo power. While you may or may not have the nature to become a witch, just being a seeker means you probably have the potential.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)