The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 19, 2022, 11:05:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2022, 11:05:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: becoming a witch or being a witch  (Read 3847 times)
Rowanfox
Master Member
Last Login:December 02, 2010, 12:55:53 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Gardnerian

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 02, 2010, 03:43:34 pm »

I often read on some websites that you can't become a witch. You are a witch or you aren't. What do they mean by that? Do you have to have witches as ancesters or something?
Or do they mean you have to be a witch in an active way, like in every action you perform you must act like one without to much effort?

But you can't be a witch without learning and knowing about it, isn't it? Or am I wrong? Doesn't a witch have a spiritual way of growing?

I all confuses me sometimes...

Once upon a time, BTW witches claimed that only a witch could make a witch..... by that they meant that you could only be a witch if you were initiated into a tradition by another witch.

In some ways, this is still true for the more hard line BTW groups (Gardnerians, Alexandrians, etc)But, most of those groups have also come to understand that witchcraft is a practice open to a huge  variety of folks, with different personal practices and religious beliefs. It is my experience, with talking with other Gards over the years, that most had the core values and beliefs of our faith before they ever heard of Gardner, or Wicca. By coming to us they simply found a name for their pre-existing belief system. So, in some way, maybe they were witches before we got our claws into them bwahahaha Smiley

For myself, I also believe that being a witch is more about your basic intrinsic nature. Most witches and, to some extent, pagans I know, have some simple core values that seem common. Most are more open minded and liberal in their thinking about subjects like spirituality, divinity and the like. They tend to be seekers; of knowledge or faith. And for the most part, not afraid to colour a little outside the lines.

For those bogged down in conservative thinking, tied to dogma and afraid of censure, they are probably not "god" witch material... and that is just because of their nature....

To answer you, being a witch has nothing to do with ancestry, knowledge level or you individual woo-woo power. While you may or may not have the nature to become a witch, just being a seeker means you probably have the potential.

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)