The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 04, 2021, 08:55:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2021, 08:55:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Relationships With The Gods  (Read 4611 times)
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Last Login:July 31, 2011, 03:27:04 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Irish Celtic Reconstructionist

Never underestimate carefully worded nonsense.

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 02, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »

I've been looking at my path recently, and I've realised that, although Manannan is my patron deity, I also want to work with a wider selection of the pantheon.

I was wondering, for those who work with multiple deities, inside or outside of patronage relationships, how does this work for you?  Do you work with a main subset and honour others on their specific days?  Do you honour a very specific few and not the others?  Or do you attempt to work with most of them at appropriate times and honour the entire pantheon?

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

alleyesonazarath
Master Member
Last Login:June 09, 2011, 08:27:09 am
United States United States

Religion: Vanir influenced mystic with druidic tendencies

Blog entries (0)

Alleyesonazarath Base

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 03, 2010, 12:16:23 am »

Do you work with a main subset and honour others on their specific days?  Do you honour a very specific few and not the others?  Or do you attempt to work with most of them at appropriate times and honour the entire pantheon?

Thank you for posting this thread! I too will be interested in seeing what others reply.

Although I asked specifically for Freyja to be my patron, and she accepted, I work with others as well. Some times I get the urge to pray to the other Gods or Goddesses (mostly all the time within the Celtic or Norse pantheon). Every now and then I will offer food and drink sacrifices to an individual God or Goddess, or all of them at once. Eventually I want to make things for them, such as wood carvings and necklaces and such.

I feel drawn to contacting the ones I contact, not so much as me selecting to work with so and so because they're attributed to be this way... (although come to think of it, that may have been how my worship of Freyja started about 15 months ago...  Undecided  )

This post was brought to you by a college student that likes to soundeth profoundeth.

Are you bored, and would like to be bothered? Add me on Facebook, at  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000683767548#!/profile.php?id=100000683767548
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #2: February 03, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »

This is something I've been trying to work on myself.

When I was strictly Celtic, I worked with four deities and honored the rest of the pantheon in general. Since I was mostly an armchair pagan, in practice there wasn't much difference, but the intent was there. I go to know a few deities in the pantheon that I was not specifically called to, and they were very casual relationships. I want to continue that now that I'm doing a multi-cultural thing.

In practice, this means that I'm starting off by learning about the gods who have relationships with my gods- siblings, parents, lovers/spouses, rivals, etcetera. When I feel I've got a good grasp on them and their natures, at least as far as I need to for a fairly casual relationship (by which I mean not particularly intimate- just "hello, how are you, please enjoy this offering" sort of thing) then I'll branch out and learn about the gods that they have relationships with. Many I do not expect to offer to on any sort of regular basis, but those that I do feel more drawn to may get a minor holiday for offerings and worship.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
Collinsky
Adept Member
Last Login:July 03, 2011, 11:33:09 pm

Religion: Celtic/Heathen, ADF, UU
TCN ID: Collinsky

I was made from the ninefold elements...

Blog entries (0)

Collinsky CollinskyCo

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 03, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »

Thank you for posting this thread! I too will be interested in seeing what others reply.

I second that! *sits down with bucket of popcorn and awaits responses* I've wondered about this a lot. There are several different deities that I think I might like to honor regularly (two that I am currently) and this has been on my mind.

~*~Colleen~*~
When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead.
http://colleenrachelle.livejournal.com/
"Let's not confuse your inability to comprehend what I do with my ability to do it."
Vella Malachite
Master Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 06, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »

In practice, this means that I'm starting off by learning about the gods who have relationships with my gods- siblings, parents, lovers/spouses, rivals, etcetera. When I feel I've got a good grasp on them and their natures, at least as far as I need to for a fairly casual relationship (by which I mean not particularly intimate- just "hello, how are you, please enjoy this offering" sort of thing) then I'll branch out and learn about the gods that they have relationships with. Many I do not expect to offer to on any sort of regular basis, but those that I do feel more drawn to may get a minor holiday for offerings and worship.

So basically you're trying to develop a relationship like you would with a family?  As in, you meet one of them, then their kids/spouse, then their grandparents, then their in-laws until you've filled out the "family tree"?
That's interesting...I hadn't thought of doing it like that.  I was going to start with the major deities/heroes and read my way through the surviving mythology until I had a fair grasp of them, then move on to the minor deities/heroes until I'd worked my way through most of the pantheon that way.

Minds are like parachutes: Just because you've lost yours, doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter as if he is a man, but when he is a spinning ball of ammonia and methane must be silent?
Juni
Adept Member
Last Login:February 05, 2021, 09:36:51 pm

Religion: Misticism
TCN ID: Juni

Strive to be happy.

Blog entries (2)

« Reply #5: February 06, 2010, 10:51:15 pm »

Pretty much. It seemed like a natural way of going about things to me, not to mention that learning about the other gods they interact with can teach you more about them and their nature.

.: Eleven-Pm.org .:. updated 30 June :.

"I don't go anywhere without my mutated anthrax! 'Fer duck huntin." - Futurama
darashand
Adept Member
Last Login:August 28, 2011, 11:46:42 am

Religion: Celtic/Germanic Heathenry
TCN ID: darashand

Gravatar

Fate favors the Fearless.

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 07, 2010, 03:15:27 pm »

Interesting topic.  I'm not really a one-god/goddess kinda girl, so I'm more or less interested in working/honoring many God/desses.  I realize that with my own human limitations, excessive numbers of Honorees would be time-consuming and pointless, being that the relationship would be shallow and unfulfilling.  Plus, I've had this long time thing with Odin, who is not a part of my Irish pantheon, but Someone I can't seem to let go of.  His pull on me is strong, so that makes me wonder, is it alright to worship other male Deities within my own framework.  I think, since I'm not really meant to work with Odin and Asatru, that it would be alright.  So far, I am pulled to three Goddesses and three Gods of the Irish Pantheon.  I would like to honor those specifically as well as the Group as a whole.   

Going off to think, here...

The only people for me are the mad ones. The ones who are mad to love, mad to talk, mad to be saved. The ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars." -Jack Kerouac
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 07, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »

I've been looking at my path recently, and I've realised that, although Manannan is my patron deity, I also want to work with a wider selection of the pantheon.

I was wondering, for those who work with multiple deities, inside or outside of patronage relationships, how does this work for you?  Do you work with a main subset and honour others on their specific days?  Do you honour a very specific few and not the others?  Or do you attempt to work with most of them at appropriate times and honour the entire pantheon?

I do not really "work" with deities, though each of my Patrons is connected to my "work". I'm a bit odd (or so I have found) as I have two male patron's, Ogma and Donn. Ogma, through an association with "letters", and books (as I currently work in a book store), and Donn through an association with the dead (as I am working toward a career in funeral directing).

The tradition I belong to holds that our relationships with the deities are built on patronage and clientship. We as clients are obliged to uphold our oaths, duties and offerings/ sacrifices; and the deities are obliged to accept our offerings/sacrifices, and uphold their reponsibilities to us as clients.

I do give offerings to other deities, Brigid and a local river especially, though neither are as formally patronic as Ogma or Donn are to me. I also provide offerings in a more generalized way in daily devotionals to the gods, spirits and ancestors.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Cliona
Journeyman
Last Login:July 22, 2011, 11:55:35 am

Religion: ADF, UU

not quite an eagle, but not quite a goose

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #8: February 07, 2010, 08:05:22 pm »

I'm kind of in a similar spot. I've started poking around ADF, and am really drawn to the concept of the Mighty Kindreds - Ancestors, Nature Spirits, and Shining Ones (the God/esses). Primarily I honor Manannan (also my patron), but as I learn more about the Celtic Gods, notably the Tuatha De Danann, I feel a strong urge to honor Them, and working that into a devotional including my Ancestors and the Spirits of Nature feels fitting...though I have no idea how to go about this!

I'm feeling, out of the Tuatha De Danann, particularly drawn to Airmid and Danu. It's not the same kind of drawn-feeling as I have toward Manannan, but as I put together a simple daily devotional, it feels appropriate to include those two specifically. Outside the Irish deities, I also honor Rhiannon.

A book I'm reading regarding ADF also encourages readers to seek out their local land/water Goddess by visiting particular sites, such as headwaters or liminal areas, and including Her, once you find Her, in daily worship. That's very "up in the air" for me and will require further thought. I'm not sure I draw a distinction between a local Goddess and a Nature Spirit...but this is all very new to me.

I will follow you into the deep, as a young bird has to learn to fly
- Whale Rider, Edenbridge
Garnet
Adept Member
Last Login:November 01, 2015, 10:19:49 pm

Religion: Departmental; Eclectic/NeoWiccan, Feri/Morningstar Student, Thelemite

My path is an omelet

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 09, 2010, 12:57:52 pm »

I was wondering, for those who work with multiple deities, inside or outside of patronage relationships, how does this work for you? 

I work with a personal thematic pantheon and don't have a patron, although there is One who's thwapped me very strongly. I'm working to honor all of Them more frequently. Some of Them are connected with each other in Their respective pantheons. There are also a few Others I honor less frequently, but still at least once a year, on holidays and such.

I started out approaching a few deities where there seemed to be mutual resonance, and then got thwapped. I have done some work to get to know other deities in each pantheon, and sometimes I honor the pantheon of Neos Alexandria (Greek, Egyptian, and Roman deities specifically known to have been honored in ancient Alexandria). I ended up having a closer relationship with some of Those I approached, and that's how the personal pantheon grew.

I hope this makes sense. Rereading it, it sounds kind of vague, but I'm not sure how else to put it at the moment.

Vella Malachite
Master Member
Australia Australia

Blog entries (3)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 20, 2010, 11:57:15 pm »

Primarily I honor Manannan (also my patron), but as I learn more about the Celtic Gods, notably the Tuatha De Danann, I feel a strong urge to honor Them, and working that into a devotional including my Ancestors and the Spirits of Nature feels fitting...though I have no idea how to go about this!

I agree - the more Gods I learn about, the more I feel drawn to include Them in my worship - not as personally as the small group I have now, but I feel like They were important to the people who worshipped Them, and trying to follow as much in the footsteps of those people as I can, I should at least make sure I acknowledge Their existence.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)