The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
May 08, 2021, 12:59:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2021, 12:59:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Good Pagan Store in the UK?  (Read 2787 times)
Samantha
Apprentice
Last Login:May 24, 2011, 02:58:03 am
Australia Australia

Religion: Paganism

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 03, 2010, 07:38:53 am »

Hi everyone

I'm planning a trip to the UK at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone from the UK would recommend any Pagan/New Age shops there? I'll be in England and Scotland,

In England I'll probably be in the areas of
- London
- Bath
- Oxford
-Statford-Upon-Avon
- Maybe Manchester

and in Scotland I plan to travel to Edinburgh and Glasgow

If anyone knows of any good shops in these areas or nearby, let me know Smiley I particularly love Pagan books, but would be interested in picking up a new BOS or some crystals

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #1: February 03, 2010, 06:20:20 pm »

In London, Treadwell's is the best place to go, by far.  They have a fabulous selection of new and used academic and Pagan books, and a few supplies.  They also have an amazing series of lectures by academics and Pagan practitioners of various stripes (sometimes, one and the same person!).  The owner, Christina, is a former academic, and is extremely nice and helpful.  All that, and the store, in an eighteenth century building with an almost entirely original interior, even *looks* the way you want an old creaky occult bookstore to look.

http://www.treadwells-london.com/

The Atlantis Bookshop, likewise in London, is also very well known; it's been around since 1922, and Gerald Gardner hung out here.

http://www.theatlantisbookshop.com/
Samantha
Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 04, 2010, 09:19:52 am »

In London, Treadwell's is the best place to go, by far. 

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll definitely be heading to Tredwells' while I'm in London - it really seems like my kind of Pagan shop
Allati
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:July 15, 2012, 06:51:13 pm
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Religion: Kemetic Orthodox and eclectic pagan
TCN ID: Allati

Blog entries (1)

Ignore
« Reply #3: February 10, 2010, 11:11:53 pm »

I'm planning a trip to the UK at the moment, and I was wondering if anyone from the UK would recommend any Pagan/New Age shops there? I'll be in England and Scotland,

and in Scotland I plan to travel to Edinburgh and Glasgow

In Glasgow (hai!) 23 Enigma is pretty good. It's small but crams a lot of stuff in, mostly statues and sheeelves of books. Don't be put off by their poor website, the store itself is alright. I use them periodically, but I do have to be careful because their selection of Egyptian statues is pretty good. Last time I went there I came out poorer than I planned D:

There is Osiris on Queen Street, which is handier, but mostly it's only good for things like gems and incense and such things, but it does have many pretties.

There is also Opal Moon, but I can't vouch for it as it's really out of the way for city centre walking distance, up by Glasgow University.

Henytenwepwawet
landunderwave
Senior Newbie
Last Login:July 29, 2010, 04:07:17 pm
Germany Germany

Religion: neo-wicca

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: March 19, 2010, 07:26:56 pm »

I've been to both shops during my last year's visit and I prefer The Atlantis Book Shop over Treadwells.
The owner is very friendly and patient. That's especially helpful as a seeker.
She runs the shop with her mum, they're both wiccans, and have extensive knowledge.
They have a great selection of out-of-print and hard-to-get titles (and try to order any book for you that you ask them for, they even send books to customers at the south pole!) and when it comes to new books they always do a quality check.
It's smaller than Treadwells but calmer and you can sit down, have nice cup of tea with the owner while listening to gentle classical music, sitting in an old armchair and take your time and browse as long as you like. It's like these old bookshops Charles Dickens mentions in his books. They have moots there and lectures, too, with pagan authors. Wink

I found that even if Treadwells was the bigger shop, I didn't feel comfortable there. The air was bad and it was warm and sticky.
The couch was broken and the variety of books wasn't helpful at all. And something in that shop made my skin tingle, I don't know.
And the shop owner was to busy making fotos with the press...
My boyfriend tends to be highly sensitive and after five minutes begged me to leave this place.

Samantha
Apprentice
Australia Australia

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: March 25, 2010, 01:02:44 pm »

I've been to both shops during my last year's visit and I prefer The Atlantis Book Shop over Treadwells.
The owner is very friendly and patient. That's especially helpful as a seeker.
She runs the shop with her mum, they're both wiccans, and have extensive knowledge.
They have a great selection of out-of-print and hard-to-get titles (and try to order any book for you that you ask them for, they even send books to customers at the south pole!) and when it comes to new books they always do a quality check.
It's smaller than Treadwells but calmer and you can sit down, have nice cup of tea with the owner while listening to gentle classical music, sitting in an old armchair and take your time and browse as long as you like. It's like these old bookshops Charles Dickens mentions in his books. They have moots there and lectures, too, with pagan authors. Wink

I found that even if Treadwells was the bigger shop, I didn't feel comfortable there. The air was bad and it was warm and sticky.
The couch was broken and the variety of books wasn't helpful at all. And something in that shop made my skin tingle, I don't know.
And the shop owner was to busy making fotos with the press...
My boyfriend tends to be highly sensitive and after five minutes begged me to leave this place.

Interesting... Well, I'll try to check out both if I can Smiley

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)