The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
August 08, 2020, 10:56:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 08, 2020, 10:56:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Correlating Egyptian terms/concepts  (Read 4269 times)
Satsekhem
High Adept Member
Last Login:October 16, 2011, 11:51:56 am
United States United States

Religion: Something? Somewhere?

I rock so hardcore.

Blog entries (0)

aubs.taylor

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 04, 2010, 07:08:48 am »

I wondered if I might posit a question that was asked of me, and see what insights and thoughts you might have.

The question posed to me was :

I have an Egyptian terminology question for you...are there terms that would cognate for the Middle World, Upper world and Lower World in Egyptian practice? I know Duat is often used, and most often for the underworld/land of the dead. Are there other specific words for the three basic zones?

If anyone is not familiar with the Lower, Middle and Upper Worlds, you find this in shamanic work as well as other traditions and cultures, and the basic idea is that the ower World is the realm of the dead, the ancestors, the ancient ones; the Middle World is the realm we inhabit and includes the spirits of the natural world in this realm (stones, land spirits, herbs/plants, animals, etc); and the Upper World is the realm of the angelic and divine beings (archangels, gods/goddesses, that sort of thing).  Iím sure thatís highly simplistic (and, hopefully, a correct representation of each of the realms Ė feel free to correct me if needed).

So, one wonders if there are similar concepts and terms from the Egyptian perspective ?

It does seem to be complicated in that the term Duat does seem to be a blend of the Lower and Upper Worlds in many ways.  Is there a term used for the realm of the Netjeru, for example, that might differentiate it in some way ?  Is there a word for the realm of the akhu (the northern sky, the imperishable stars) that might differentiate it from the realms of the duat that one navigates in order to become an akh ?

But I thought Iíd put it out there and see if anyone had insights and thoughts on this...or perhaps has one or more references they might direct me and the person asking toward for more in depth study and understanding.

Any and all thoughts, considerations, insights would be appreciated.

I can't get to the book right now, but in Religion in Ancient Egypt... edited by Byron E. Shafer, it was mentioned that there were different places in the Underworld. There were two separate fields mentioned and I know one of them is similar to the Elysium fields of Greek myth, but that's the only bit that I can recall.

Sekhemib-Nymaatre; spiritual blog.
Thanks For All the Fish; opinionated ranty blog.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. - Douglas Adams

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)