The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum (Archive Board)
January 21, 2021, 09:15:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This is our Read Only Archive Board (closed to posting July 2011). Join our new vBulletin board!

Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2021, 09:15:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Donate!
The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.
TC Staff
Important Information about this Archive Board
This message board is The Cauldron: A Pagan Forum's SMF Archive Board. It is closed to new memberships and to posting, but there are over 250,000 messages here that you can still search and read -- many full of interesting and useful information. (This board was open from February 2007 through June 2011).

Our new vBulletin discussion board is located at http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/ -- if you would like to participate in discussions like those you see here, please visit our new vBulletin message board, register an account and join in our discussions. We hope you will find the information in this message archive useful and will consider joining us on our new board.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Were the Ancient Semitic originally Pagan?  (Read 5156 times)
Earendil
Senior Apprentice
Last Login:August 31, 2010, 05:07:45 am
New Zealand New Zealand

Religion: Eclectic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Topic Start: February 04, 2010, 11:05:35 pm »

I read that they originally worshipped many deities before gradually transitioning from polytheism to monotheism. Here's a link to the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Semitic_religion

Welcome, Guest!
You will need to register and/or login to participate in our discussions.

Read our Rules and Policies and the Quoting Guidelines.

Help Fund Our Server? Donate to Lyricfox's Cancer Fund?

Ellen M.
Adept Member
Last Login:February 17, 2013, 08:34:24 pm
United States United States

Religion: ADF - UU - eclectic Wiccan - devotee of Brighid

Go, then - there are other worlds than these.

Blog entries (0)

Ellen MacInnis lellenator

Ignore
« Reply #1: February 04, 2010, 11:13:03 pm »

I read that they originally worshipped many deities before gradually transitioning from polytheism to monotheism. Here's a link to the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Semitic_religion

Yep. Babylonians, Assyrians, Sumerians, Hittites - all polytheistic. That's where we get deities like Ishtar, Inanna, Astarte, Asherah, Enki, Erishkigal, Sin, Baal...

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Last Login:January 14, 2011, 11:19:41 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Fálachus, Gaelic Reconstructionist Polytheist

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #2: February 05, 2010, 12:24:36 am »

Only if you are equating Pagan with polytheist...

There is evidence that they were polytheists, and that El (or YHWH) was a single deity among many, but since classical paganism (as a religious descriptor) was a concept developed for religions outside the pale of the Christian religion, applying it to a period preceding its use as describing non-Christian religion, is a bit problematic.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

Have a gander at my blog: Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Melamphoros
Staff
Grand Adept Member
Last Login:March 28, 2015, 11:01:26 pm

Religion: Informed Eclectic with Hellenic Overtones
TCN ID: Melamphoros

Kiss My Scythe

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #3: February 05, 2010, 09:15:41 am »

Only if you are equating Pagan with polytheist...

There is evidence that they were polytheists, and that El (or YHWH) was a single deity among many, but since classical paganism (as a religious descriptor) was a concept developed for religions outside the pale of the Christian religion, applying it to a period preceding its use as describing non-Christian religion, is a bit problematic.

By that definition, Jews and Musilms would be considered pagan as well since they are non-Christian.

Personally, I see no problem with calling the polytheist religion (before it changed into what is recognizably Judaism) of that area pagan.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #4: February 05, 2010, 09:50:37 am »

Personally, I see no problem with calling the polytheist religion (before it changed into what is recognizably Judaism) of that area pagan.

In the Bible classes I've taken, paganism roughly equates to polytheism (with a lovely explanation that no, pagans never worshiped Satan, and yes, the ancient Israelites sacrificed animals, too). Personally I don't think "non-Christian religion" is a good enough definition for paganism, for precisely the reason Melamphoros brought up - "paganism" would include the later religions of Judaism and Islam.

So I did my Hebrew Bible paper last semester on the development of monotheism out of the ancient Near East. The ancient Israelites (not Jews- Judaism developed towards the end of Old Testament chronology) were pretty singular in recognizing one and only one deity. Other cultures in the area, like the Babylonians, Assyrians, Hittites, Cannanites, etc, recognized a bunch of deities. Once I grab my notes and books (when I'm /not/ rushing off to class) I'll write some more on this. Smiley

Sage and Starshine: My new Pagan blog about Druidry, witchcraft, Brighid, and everything in between. -- 14th post 6/1/11
gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #5: February 05, 2010, 02:11:38 pm »

By that definition, Jews and Musilms would be considered pagan as well since they are non-Christian.

But the problem arises in using a term which has a specific historic and temporal context (classical paganism) as a descriptor of a cultural group which far predates the use of the term. Polytheist would be a far less troublesome term to use, imo.

Due civility never broke a mans head, and great is the pity to be at any time without it.

gorm_sionnach
Journeyman
Canada Canada

Gravatar

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #6: February 05, 2010, 02:13:47 pm »

But the problem arises in using a term which has a specific historic and temporal context (classical paganism) as a descriptor of a cultural group which far predates the use of the term. Polytheist would be a far less troublesome term to use, imo.

I had meant to add this, but especially if the point (at least in this thread) is to some how link modern Paganism with early Semetic cultures...

Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #7: February 05, 2010, 02:49:24 pm »

Whatever the original meaning of paganism, as a descriptor for a type of religion, I think it's safe to say that today it's no longer simply linked to ancient Greece and Rome, but to all original, pre-Christian, polytheistic religions, regardless of geographic location. Asatru is reconstructed Norse religion, for example, and Kemeticism draws on Egyptian paganism.

catja6
Board Staff
Staff
Adept Member
Last Login:November 28, 2020, 08:41:38 pm
Canada Canada

Religion: Hellenic Pagan

Blog entries (0)

« Reply #8: February 05, 2010, 03:37:54 pm »

Actually, no.  If you look at the scholarship, "paganism" is the umbrella term used by scholars for pre- and/or non-Christian, pre- and/or non-Muslim, and pre- and/or non-Jewish religions of Europe and the Middle East.  (I add the "and/or non-" bit because some particular pagan cults/groups arose after the advent of Christianity, and so forth.)  In my copy of Religions of the Ancient World (ed. Sarah Iles Johnston), an extremely important compendium of knowledge about the Pagan religions of the Mediterranean, written by the leading experts for each region, "paganism" is used quite freely to describe pre- and non-Jewish religions of the Middle East, including the various non-YHVH cults that the Old Testament is always condemning.

"Paganism" does not, in scholarship, ever just mean "classical Paganism" -- note the fact that you have to add the modifier "classical."  And not all religions that fall into the "non-JCI religions of the region" rubric were polytheistic, either, as monotheist or henotheist cults in places like Egypt attest. 
Ilan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 12, 2010, 12:55:41 pm
Israel Israel

Religion: Self Searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #9: February 09, 2010, 05:56:15 pm »

Ancient Semitic - yeah (Hittites weren't semitic to my knowledge, nor was their language semitic). The best record of ancien Canaanite-Semitic beliefs are the findings in the ancient city of Ugarit.
Now, about Israelites (as already written by Ellen - Judasim has its origins in the second temple period, circa 500 BC) - it is harder to point out. The OT writers knew the religions of their brethren, and you could say that the OT "argues" with those beliefs. I would say that the OT has three layers - Henotheistic layer, interim layer and the monotheistic layer. So I would say that the Israelites were first Polytheistic, then Henotheistic and finally monotheistic.
Ilan
Senior Newbie
Last Login:April 12, 2010, 12:55:41 pm
Israel Israel

Religion: Self Searching

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #10: February 10, 2010, 03:25:11 am »

And something else I wanted to add -

Even looking into the OT itself on the most simple story level - Abraham was actually the first to follow the biblical god, so that probably means that his forefathers had another faith. Rivka (Rebbeca) stole the idols of her father, Lavan, when she moved out with Yaakov (Jacob).

There is also a legend (Agada) in Judaism, which says tells that Abraham, when he was a boy, broke all of his father's idols.

These things, on a simple story level, seem to denote that the Israelites weren't always monotheistic.

Furthermore - by seeing how many prophets condemd idolatry, one can understand that there were a lot of polytheistic practices among the Israelites.
Armagh444
Journeyman
Last Login:July 09, 2010, 07:16:15 pm

Religion: Celtic Pagan Revivalist

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #11: February 27, 2010, 02:08:35 pm »

There is evidence that they were polytheists, and that El (or YHWH) was a single deity among many

This is not my area of expertise, so I may be wrong on this, but my understanding has always been that it would be more accurate to call the ancient Israelites henotheists, as they accepted the existence of many gods, but believed there was only one for their people.

Three things from which never to be moved: one's Oaths, one's Gods, and the Truth. The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty. Three candles that illuminate every darkness: Truth, Nature, and Knowledge.
Ellen M.
Adept Member

Blog entries (0)

Ignore
« Reply #12: February 27, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »

This is not my area of expertise, so I may be wrong on this, but my understanding has always been that it would be more accurate to call the ancient Israelites henotheists, as they accepted the existence of many gods, but believed there was only one for their people.

It depends at which point in time you're assessing their belief structure and whether it's the beliefs of the high class priesthood or the commoners - also whether we're talking the pre-Kingdom wanderers of the desert, the Northern or Southern Kingdom, or the time of the second exile. Until the Israelite culture adopted what can be understood as Judaism (which was not the religion of the Old Testament), it's difficult to make sweeping generalizations of what Israelite religion was. We know what the various priests said... and we know that wasn't exactly what the Average Jacob and Rachel practiced on a daily basis, in their homes.

Henotheism/molatry certainly took part in Israelite religion! There's definitely a lot of "many gods, but ours is the god for us (and also the best)" throughout the Old Testament that only later gave way to something more closely approximating monotheism.

Donor Ad: Become a Silver or Gold Donor to get your ad here.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to:  
  Portal   Forum   Help Rules Search Chat (Mux) Articles Login Register   *

* Share this topic...
In a forum
(BBCode)
In a site/blog
(HTML)